The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why isn't the Burka banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooNocturnal
Someone's got to, haha. Good to see not everyone is blind to the bigger picture :smile:

:h::smile:
Original post by LouLang
I don't understand why it should be banned, as it is obviously known that it is a religious thing, and if you don't agree with it, well it has nothing to do with you. HOWEVER, what should be banned is balaclavas bc why are they needed?? To rob, and scare people. No thank you.

The “the balaclava isn’t needed” argument is a flawed one because by the same token the niqab isn’t needed either. It serves no practical purpose and is not ordained by religious scripture.
It's a free country.Let ppl wear what they want.
Reply 63
Original post by Knightoflogic
because people can commit crimes and no one would know who they are?

This makes absolutely no sense. If you commit a crime and people can see your face, but you get away, then post crime identification is notoriously unreliable either way. Sure, if you're a real idiot and stare straight at a security camera, not having your face covered will help, but I mean c'mon. I could very easily walk into the centre of town right now, steal a watch and be out the store before anyone manages to identify any more than "caucasian" male with brown hair.

If on the other hand you commit a crime and get chased, who do you see being the easier person to identify in a crowd and catch, the "normally" dressed average looking person, or the one wearing a burka :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
This makes absolutely no sense. If you commit a crime and people can see your face, but you get away, then post crime identification is notoriously unreliable either way. Sure, if you're a real idiot and stare straight at a security camera, not having your face covered will help, but I mean c'mon. I could very easily walk into the centre of town right now, steal a watch and be out the store before anyone manages to identify any more than "caucasian" male with brown hair.

If on the other hand you commit a crime and get chased, who do you see being the easier person to identify in a crowd and catch, the "normally" dressed average looking person, or the one wearing a burka :wink:

it does make sense, its just you far left people making issues out of nothing.
no offense, but ALL face coverings should be banned. last time I checked the burka is not a requirement of Islam, but a personal choice, therefore there shouldn't be an issue with it being banned..

It need not be a requirement of Islam. They choose to wear it end of. If it was a matter of force then that is different.
Original post by Dheorl

Do you have any idea how many CCTV camera there are in your average town?

What if they discard it? What if they're in an area with a high number of burka wearers?
Original post by Dheorl

Could...if...just like one could kill with a crucifix that is blunt and made of steel. How many times have these incidients you talk of happened? ....rarely if any 😆
Original post by Dragon5555
It need not be a requirement of Islam. They choose to wear it end of. If it was a matter of force then that is different.

exactly, completely agreed.
It is in some countries and Islam is banned in one country.
If you ask the police force what's hurting our safety in this country, I think they'd point to swathing cuts and 20,000 fewer officers on the street since 2010 rather than face coverings not being banned.
I do think the hijab is a harmless religious choice.
On the other hand, the burka can be an incredibly scary thing for some people. The emotions of a person are unidentifyable and anything could be hidden under such 'robes'.
The only reason I disagree with the burka is because you don't lknow what's underneath. You have no idea what the person is feeling and it can be unnerving.
The same reason we don't ban nuns wearing habits, or Orthodox Jewish women wearing headscarves (or most Jewish men wearing yarmulkes).

Piss poor attempt at Islamophobia tbh. I mean at least choose something you can have some form of logically consistent argument for.
Reply 73
Original post by artful_lounger
The same reason we don't ban nuns wearing habits, or Orthodox Jewish women wearing headscarves (or most Jewish men wearing yarmulkes).

Piss poor attempt at Islamophobia tbh. I mean at least choose something you can have some form of logically consistent argument for.

Tell us how many of those examples you gave cover the whole face?
Original post by ukrj
Tell us how many of those examples you gave cover the whole face?

The same as the number of laws prohibiting covering one's face in public.

Are you even trying?
Original post by hannxm
It is in some countries and Islam is banned in one country.

Which country? Link us up.
Original post by onceandnever
I do think the hijab is a harmless religious choice.
On the other hand, the burka can be an incredibly scary thing for some people. The emotions of a person are unidentifyable and anything could be hidden under such 'robes'.
The only reason I disagree with the burka is because you don't lknow what's underneath. You have no idea what the person is feeling and it can be unnerving.

A good point, but we shouldn't ban anything people think is scary. What we need to do is teach them that what's under the burka is just a person and nothing scary. And what the scared people need to do is be open to finding out what's under the burka and not hold onto their fear for no reason.
Nothing good comes from ignorant fear and it should not be encouraged.

I'm willing to bet that there are many many more cases of abuse toward people wearing burkas than from them. That shows where the problem is coming from- the fear of the burka and the people who have that fear. And where the problem is is also where the solution is. (That was a lot of "is")

People used to be scared of freaking lightbulbs guys! Fear alone is not enough of a reason to ban things.
If we had some evidence to back up those fears like criminals using burkas to rob banks or gangs of burka wearing people beating up old folks then sure we obviously need to be doing something. But as it is it's just fear and that is not enough cause to ban something or take away people's freedoms.
Reply 78
it does make sense, its just you far left people making issues out of nothing.

a) I'm not far left, b) who's making issues out of nothing? I really am astounded as to what the **** you're chatting about.
Reply 79
Original post by RogerOxon
Do you have any idea how many CCTV camera there are in your average town?

What if they discard it? What if they're in an area with a high number of burka wearers?

I have a very good idea how many CCTV cameras there are. I also have a pretty good idea how many are fake, and how shite the ones that are there can be.

I've never been in an area where the majority of people are wearing burkas. And discard them? Sure, whilst someone is being chased they're going to just duck into a side alley and remove 20sqm of fabric :wink:

Latest