The Student Room Group

Does AAT Level make me ineligible?

Hi there

Long story short, I'm AAT qualified. I've read that AAT Level 4 is classed as a 'Higher Diploma' and also equivalent to the first year of a degree.

I want to do Diagnostic Radiography (BSc honours) at university. Will my AAT qualification make me ineligible for student finance?

If so, are there any other options for help with funding or is the only path left private funding? appreciate any help
Original post by cjarvis1990
Hi there

Long story short, I'm AAT qualified. I've read that AAT Level 4 is classed as a 'Higher Diploma' and also equivalent to the first year of a degree.

I want to do Diagnostic Radiography (BSc honours) at university. Will my AAT qualification make me ineligible for student finance?

If so, are there any other options for help with funding or is the only path left private funding? appreciate any help

Hi cjarvis1990,

Professional qualifications do not qualify for funding and therefore are not be counted as previous study.

So, as your AAT is a professional qualification it won't affect your eligibility.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 2
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi cjarvis1990,

Professional qualifications do not qualify for funding and therefore are not be counted as previous study.

So, as your AAT is a professional qualification it won't affect your eligibility.

Regards,

Stuart

Thanks Stuart

I rang the Student Loan helpline and they said the opposite! Maybe he didnt understand what the AAT qualification is.

Just in terms of eligibility - I'm getting the feeling that I wont 100% know until I apply for a student loan - is that correct?

My issue is, I'm currently in full time work, and I dont want to quit my job, do my access course, then start uni only to find out that I dont actually qualify. Is there any way to find out 100% if I'd qualify or not?

Thanks
Chris
Thanks Stuart

I rang the Student Loan helpline and they said the opposite! Maybe he didnt understand what the AAT qualification is.

Just in terms of eligibility - I'm getting the feeling that I wont 100% know until I apply for a student loan - is that correct?

My issue is, I'm currently in full time work, and I dont want to quit my job, do my access course, then start uni only to find out that I dont actually qualify. Is there any way to find out 100% if I'd qualify or not?

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

I suspect the equivalency bit maybe threw them. Easily done. But apologies nonetheless.

If your only previous study was for a professional qualification it will NOT affect your eligibility.

But I can appreciate you want to make absolutely sure.

So, if you're considering entering study in 2018/19 the applications will open early next year. You can make an application once they open.

Just because you make an application there's nothing to stop you cancelling it before the course starts if it's not required.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 4
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Chris,

I suspect the equivalency bit maybe threw them. Easily done. But apologies nonetheless.

If your only previous study was for a professional qualification it will NOT affect your eligibility.

But I can appreciate you want to make absolutely sure.

So, if you're considering entering study in 2018/19 the applications will open early next year. You can make an application once they open.

Just because you make an application there's nothing to stop you cancelling it before the course starts if it's not required.

Regards,

Stuart

No, I left school with GCSE's, AAT qualified between the ages of 16-23, fast forward 4 years, im 27, fed up and want a change!

Well I'll actually be starting my access course in 2018/19, then applying for Uni 2019/20, so could I apply next year and just cancel it once I have an answer?

Thanks
Chris
No, I left school with GCSE's, AAT qualified between the ages of 16-23, fast forward 4 years, im 27, fed up and want a change!

Well I'll actually be starting my access course in 2018/19, then applying for Uni 2019/20, so could I apply next year and just cancel it once I have an answer?

Thanks
Chris

Hi cjarvis1990,

In answer to your above question, yes in theory you can apply online for 2018 and cancel afterwards if you wish.

Thanks Rona
Reply 6
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi cjarvis1990,

In answer to your above question, yes in theory you can apply online for 2018 and cancel afterwards if you wish.

Thanks Rona

Great, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending