The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You could live in Scotland for 3 years then do university there. They don’t charge fees from what I can remember.

Plus, if you do foundation year doesn’t that count for 1 year finding.

So you have two years left.

Foundation year: 1 year funding gone.
Year 1: 1 year funding gone.

Then, you will have to find two years yourself.

Do you have any CPR?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
I think you have to be Scottish to be able to take advantage of this?I’m pretty sure I have 2 years left funding and have to find the first, find it all so confusing. I am either going to get onto a HNC/HND course and find the money for the first year which would be £5,000 - £6,500. Or choose a degree which would mean also paying the first year but would be slightly more expensive.
They offer grants and maintenance but that was involved in SF, though there are likely other options outside of SF. I am getting a grant but it depends on where you live and what's offered. You could get a separate loan, pay for the first year (two modules) and then apply for SF in the final years.

Original post by coyi4140
Do they offer maintenance grants and loans as well as tuition fees? This is something which I will strongly consider. Reason why I ask is because Student Finance are reluctant to give me the FIRST years funding. I am now looking at using loans and grants to pay off tuition fees if required as I only need funding for tuition.
Hi,
I am in desperate need of advice as I come to a point in my life where I am scared to think about my future. I am 24 years old and it’s safe to say I have matured a considerable amount in the last 6 years, and it has only become apparent of the consequences of stupid decisions in my past that I could end up paying for the rest of my life.

I passed college at 18 and went onto study at university. This was a foundation year. I was very immature and looking back the course I went to study didn't suit me at all. I also applied for the student accommodation with the optimistic hope that all student loans and maintenance grants would cover it. It did not. I moved back to my parents and subsequently lost interest in the course, therefore dropping out.

The second time I went to a college to study a HNC/HND course in IT. At this time I had family issues and had to work, I dropped out of this course a couple of months after starting.

Looking back now I cannot express the level of regret I wake up to daily. I have significant regrets in my life already at the age of 24. I am stuck in a dead end job on nights, wondering what I have left for my future. I am aware that University isn’t everything but the majority of people around me have recently passed and I have only realised over the past couple of years the severity of my actions.

I made a THIRD APPLICATION back in 2015 for another foundation course in IT. I was accepted through student finance for the maintenance grant HOWEVER they will not pay for the tuition fees. They told me I would have to pay for the first year upfront.

I am well aware at this point through various threads on this site that the chance of going to university is bleak. However I am determined to get some level of education and make something of myself.

I am hoping that due to the fact that both courses were either foundation years or a HNC that this would not completely affect any chance I had of going back into education.

I am asking for advice on the options I have left. I also am in work which would help cover the costs. These are the options that I am left with; please tell me if there are any more of if I am being unrealistic.

1) Somehow... get funded for a 3 year degree level course...
2) SAVE the money for the first year of the 3 year course
3) Get funded for a 2 year HNC/HND course (with help from myself)
4) Get funded for an ONLINE course or Open University
5) Apply for a course through an “Advanced Learner Loan”
6) Study abroad

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know lots of people in a similar situation.It's difficult and frustrating. Don't worry too much pal first of all your not in debt, and ur able to work and have been in work for a while som although u don't have a degree u have a decent base to find work.

Here are the first things I'd sort out mate, before bothering with a degree.

1. Get a driving license - will open more doors than you think
2. Save a little in your dead end job so if you have to travel you can cover the gaps.

Next

Try and look for an employer that pays expenses and allows you to take qualifications. In a job that may be low paid but not dead end.

E.g if u get a job as a labourer for a while, get ur CSCS u can get anywhere from immediate minimum to £13 per hour or through short notice £10 - £20

Once u do this for a while u can look around and learn bits and pieces like how to read the plans and mark out out.also how to drive forklifts, be a banksmen for the crane driver. Once u get this kind of experience u will be useful to employers.

Solid labouring and all round site usefulness with vehicles and learning technical skills like drawings plans etc, u may be able to kiss arse into a site engineering assistant role, or lick arse to work with the contracts.

Once u get to that point then u can get a HNC and become a setting out engineer. But if ur working with contracts u don't specifically need any quals u just have to make the most of a labouring background and come across confident, experienced and knowledgable like u know what u are doing and you WILL get a foot in the door. Even possibly ahead of a graduate.

So this isn't the only industry, but it's the one I know people who have done this and are earning often more than grads (in this industry).

I don't know if this is the same in other industries, but have a look around get ur foot in the door and figure things out. Don't give up hope yet tho mate 24 ur far from done, only a baby. Keep chipping away looking for different routes if it doesn't work try a different one but don't do somethuing that's leading nowhere like working in a fish and chip shop. But for me construction gives u plenty of routes to progress.
Thank you for your reply but I think you have mistaken some of what I have said. I have always known I wanted to go to university, however I have used up my attempts at an age where I simply wasn't ready. I am 7 years older now and I have realised my mistakes. Its not an excuse and I take full responsibility for my naivety. BUT I am exploring ways in how to rectify this through any means possible.

I have not mistaken any of it - I know what you want to hear, and the answers you want.. but I think your asking the wrong questions.

Its easy to say that you have recognized your old mistakes and that now you are mature and a different person. It may be true, or it may not, but either way the facts remain that despite what we are brought up to believe, education is not for everyone and your track record shows that its quite likely it may not be for you.

The good thing is that there are so many other routes to success that may match your personality/skills far far better, and lead you to a much happier and more successful life then trying over and over at something you are probably not best suited for.

apprenticeships, training, employment/skills based schemes, starting a business, military, travelling/work abroad, etc. etc. so many other routes that don't involve going back to uni and racking up even more debt to try again..
I think you have to be Scottish to be able to take advantage of this?I’m pretty sure I have 2 years left funding and have to find the first, find it all so confusing. I am either going to get onto a HNC/HND course and find the money for the first year which would be £5,000 - £6,500. Or choose a degree which would mean also paying the first year but would be slightly more expensive.

If you live in Scotland for 3 years, then you will be considered Scottish and can receive funding.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I have not mistaken any of it - I know what you want to hear, and the answers you want.. but I think your asking the wrong questions.

Its easy to say that you have recognized your old mistakes and that now you are mature and a different person. It may be true, or it may not, but either way the facts remain that despite what we are brought up to believe, education is not for everyone and your track record shows that its quite likely it may not be for you.

The good thing is that there are so many other routes to success that may match your personality/skills far far better, and lead you to a much happier and more successful life then trying over and over at something you are probably not best suited for.

apprenticeships, training, employment/skills based schemes, starting a business, military, travelling/work abroad, etc. etc. so many other routes that don't involve going back to uni and racking up even more debt to try again..

I agree with the OP and in my opinion part agree/disagree with this post.

Big difference between being 18,19 whatever not caring about failing because you haven't tasted the consequences, than being 24 out having matured from actually working full time etc and realising the difference that things can make.

I agree partly on university not being for everyone - I.e an aerospace engineering, pure maths degree etc.

But lets be honest most degrees which don't contain maths are fairly easy it just comes down to bothering to write the thousands of word assignments of boring rubbish in order to get a 2.1 at a decent uni

It doesn't take all the brains in the world for example to take history degree, all you have to do is learn to write in an academic style which you can work on, and learn the material to fit in the academic writing.

Nothing really that requires much talent or intelligence at all, unless you have learning difficulties or really struggled with GCSE's then as long as you ACTUALLY BOTHER to crack on with the regular daft assignments complete them to a decent standard on time then most degrees that don't contain maths are a piece of piss. People who tell you otherwise are usually muppets who think a degree is an actual mark of intelligence
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,
I am in desperate need of advice as I come to a point in my life where I am scared to think about my future. I am 24 years old and it’s safe to say I have matured a considerable amount in the last 6 years, and it has only become apparent of the consequences of stupid decisions in my past that I could end up paying for the rest of my life.

I passed college at 18 and went onto study at university. This was a foundation year. I was very immature and looking back the course I went to study didn't suit me at all. I also applied for the student accommodation with the optimistic hope that all student loans and maintenance grants would cover it. It did not. I moved back to my parents and subsequently lost interest in the course, therefore dropping out.

The second time I went to a college to study a HNC/HND course in IT. At this time I had family issues and had to work, I dropped out of this course a couple of months after starting.

Looking back now I cannot express the level of regret I wake up to daily. I have significant regrets in my life already at the age of 24. I am stuck in a dead end job on nights, wondering what I have left for my future. I am aware that University isn’t everything but the majority of people around me have recently passed and I have only realised over the past couple of years the severity of my actions.

I made a THIRD APPLICATION back in 2015 for another foundation course in IT. I was accepted through student finance for the maintenance grant HOWEVER they will not pay for the tuition fees. They told me I would have to pay for the first year upfront.

I am well aware at this point through various threads on this site that the chance of going to university is bleak. However I am determined to get some level of education and make something of myself.

I am hoping that due to the fact that both courses were either foundation years or a HNC that this would not completely affect any chance I had of going back into education.

I am asking for advice on the options I have left. I also am in work which would help cover the costs. These are the options that I am left with; please tell me if there are any more of if I am being unrealistic.

1) Somehow... get funded for a 3 year degree level course...
2) SAVE the money for the first year of the 3 year course
3) Get funded for a 2 year HNC/HND course (with help from myself)
4) Get funded for an ONLINE course or Open University
5) Apply for a course through an “Advanced Learner Loan”
6) Study abroad

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I am in the predicament of contemplating whether to drop out in 2nd year.

After reading your post it seems like you regret dropping out due to funding issues etc.

Do you have any advice on whether this is a risky decision?

Sorry I can't offer you any advice on your situation. All I can say is that it is probably best not to blame yourself and feel like a failure as all that has been told to us is that university/degree is the be all or end all when it obviously isn't true in the real world.

There are college courses/practical courses like plumbing/construction that can lead to well paid jobs if you are skilled enough.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I am in the predicament of contemplating whether to drop out in 2nd year.

After reading your post it seems like you regret dropping out due to funding issues etc.

Do you have any advice on whether this is a risky decision?

Sorry I can't offer you any advice on your situation. All I can say is that it is probably best not to blame yourself and feel like a failure as all that has been told to us is that university/degree is the be all or end all when it obviously isn't true in the real world.

There are college courses/practical courses like plumbing/construction that can lead to well paid jobs if you are skilled enough.

Don't drop out unless you have CPR.

Power through and finish your degree otherwise you will regret it due to funding issues. You can always do masters in a different subject.
Reply 29
Why not consider studying your course at university as a part-time student? I'm kind of in a similar situation, and I asked student financed they said since I dropped twice I can study part-time and all years will be covered completely. I hope I helped you. Just remember it's okay to start over and what is not okay is to stay where you are not happy and only thinking of the decisions you made in past. It's OKAY
(edited 3 years ago)
Do an apprenticeship
Original post by Lina_0_
Why not consider studying your course at university as a part-time student? I'm kind of in a similar situation, and I asked student financed they said since I dropped twice I can study part-time and all years will be covered completely. I hope I helped you. Just remember it's okay to start over and what is not okay is to stay where you are not happy and only thinking of the decisions you made in past. It's OKAY

Original post by han1all
Do an apprenticeship

This thread is three years old. Please don't bump old threads!

Latest

Trending

Trending