The Student Room Group

My Study Blog Year 12 (A*A*A)

:emog::emog:Welcome to my blog!:emog::emog:

(I am not sure if it is too late to enter, but I'll start one anyway just to motivate myself.)

GCSEs:

Error 404. Not found.
Yes, I didn't do my GCSEs because I just came to the UK since September. It was a bit hard to catch up all the stuff I haven't learnt before in my second language.

A Levels:

I'm doing 4 A levels now but I am planning to drop one of them.

Subjects and My target:

Chemistry A*
Biology A
Maths A*
French A

What I want to study in university:

Chemistry
or Biology
or Biochemistry
or Chemical Engineering

What universities I am aiming for:

Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
(edited 6 years ago)
Target Grades

So today after lunch, all of the sixth forms got their own target grades. I was really excited about it because to me because I have been working really well here.

My predicted grades are as follows:

Chemistry A
Biology A
Maths A*/A
French A*/A

I was really pleased with the result since I worked quite hard for it. :banana:
Here comes the problem, I was thinking of dropping French because 4 subjects were too much for mainly because I didn't have enough time to finish all my work and revision. However, receiving my target grades for French I am reconsidering it.

It is a really hard choice to make. :pain: What should I do?????
Hey guys, how was your day?

Today is not my day. I caught a small cold on Friday which somehow made my stomach felt really really bad. I couldn't even stand up straight so I went to the nurse and slept there the whole day. :sick::sick:

Just thinking of having to catch up on today's lessons gives me headaches.
Hey guys, how was your day?

I didn't post anything yesterday because it was sixth form open evening. The boarders had to go help from right after school until 9pm, so I was pretty worn out by the time I go back to my room.

Today was a busy day. We had to change our dorm rooms and pack for our half term.

This is what I did for the past few days:

Biology:

Writing up my lab books for the 2 practicals we just did
Googling stuff on lipids
Correction on my 2 biology test we just had last week

Chemistry:
Learning about titrations

French:
Learning French Idioms
Revising Superlative and comparative stuff

Maths:
Catching up on statistics because I was sick few days ago
Learning how to use my new fancy calculator (they have really cool functions!)

(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys, have you started your half term yet? Becuase I have just started it.

I am really excited for this 2 week holiday. I am going to France for a week and will be staying in London for the second week.

Here is what I have planned to do for this half term:

Biology
Type up my lab report
Finish the worksheets our teacher gave us
Chemistry
Finish my classwork
French
Write an essay of 200 words
Maths
one piece of homework

and lastly
Finish writing my notes for all of my 4 subjects

(edited 6 years ago)
How has your holiday/school been?

I was not very productive for the past few days but I am okay with that.
This is what I did.

Biology
Finished typing my lab report and is ready to print!
French
Started my essay
Others things I did (just to make me feel a bit more productive)
Watching crash course's video
Reading my biology textbooks

That's all :tongue:
There's a lot to do but I have planned to do them for next week because I am too busy having fun now :party:
My school days have been fantastic so far! I'll definitely be following your thread as i aspire to get top grades at A-Levels too and study medicine at Cambridge!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(Btw im in yr 10 no where near A-Level hehe:biggrin:)
Original post by A.N123
My school days have been fantastic so far! I'll definitely be following your thread as i aspire to get top grades at A-Levels too and study medicine at Cambridge!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thank you so much. :smile: You are very ambitious and that's a good thing.
Original post by A.N123

Thank you so much. I hope you can reach your goal.:smile:
Original post by je m'en fiche
Thank you so much. :smile: You are very ambitious and that's a good thing.

Thank You! :smile:
Couldn't believe my last update was last week. Well, I can only say I am too busy having fun in France. Basically, I didn't do anything last week so I have to start catching up this week.

French
Finished my essay finally!!!!!! (photo)

Biology
Writing notes on lipids (triglycerides, phospholipid, and fatty acids)

Chemistry
Doing corrections on my previous test paper
Finishing some classwork

Maths
I have two very loooooog prep. I don't want to do it, but sadly I have to.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by je m'en fiche
Target Grades

So today after lunch, all of the sixth forms got their own target grades. I was really excited about it because to me because I have been working really well here.

My predicted grades are as follows:

Chemistry A
Biology A
Maths A*/A
French A*/A

I was really pleased with the result since I worked quite hard for it. :banana:
Here comes the problem, I was thinking of dropping French because 4 subjects were too much for mainly because I didn't have enough time to finish all my work and revision. However, receiving my target grades for French I am reconsidering it.

It is a really hard choice to make. :pain: What should I do?????

Are you French? - If so it will probably be an easy A/A* but i would still recommend dropping it because universities won’t really care about your 4th subject and it won’t give you an advantage. If you want it for your CV/ in the future, you can just say that you’re fluent in French on it.

Also your uni courses have nothing to do with french so it’ll probably just be a waste of your time.

Good luck!

-Marcus :smile:
Original post by Marcus T
Are you French? - If so it will probably be an easy A/A* but i would still recommend dropping it because universities won’t really care about your 4th subject and it won’t give you an advantage. If you want it for your CV/ in the future, you can just say that you’re fluent in French on it.

Also your uni courses have nothing to do with french so it’ll probably just be a waste of your time.

Good luck!

-Marcus :smile:

No, I'm not French. I had an exchange programme in France last year and spent 10 months over there so I speak quite a lot of French. I can speak daily conversations in French but I am not really sure if I can do French A-levels because it was really different. I sent an email to my French teacher to see if I can take the GCSE instead. Thanks for your suggestion anyway, I will think about it again.
Good luck!

Nice to see that you're getting yourself organised so early.
I have a really important decision to make next week. I am thinking of changing my school because my current school didn't have a competitive environment. Also, it was a new school (I am the first cohort), they did not have a lot of experience on university applications and such things. Teachers did not wait until students understand the topic before going on.

However, changing schools mean I have to adapt to EVERYTHING again. I would have to travel to some other place in England, change my dorm, make new friends, find a guardian... They are small things to worry about but when they pile up, it is a bit overwhelming. :frown:

If I am really going to change my school, I have to apply fast for their January entry. :frown:

This is one of the school I am considering for now:
Cardiff sixth form (Is anyone from this school and can share about their admission experience?)

What should I do?:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
First day of school after two weeks of half term. Who knows it will be this tiring. :tongue:

Got my French textbook and L'etranger finally (photo). My French teacher told me that L'etranger would be really interesting, somehow I doubt that. It was a book about a guy who doesn't have any emotions. He didn't cry when his mother died and stuff. Anyways, I am pretty sure it won't be an amusing book.

Work for tonight

French
Read a bit of L'etranger if I have time
Do some part of the grammar booklet my teacher gave it to me

Maths
Familiarise the big data set and using GeoGebra

Biology
Going to sort out my folder to show it to my teachers

Chemistry
Finish feedback for my test paper

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-01 at 02.59.37.jpeg

Forgot to save my update and had to retype it now :s-smilie:
I decided to add what I did in the lesson.

French
Continue on my grammar booklet

Chemistry
Had 3 HOURS of and lesson and it was tiring. We learned about oxidation number which is quite interesting and easy actually. It is like algebra.

Maths
Had 2 hours of lesson. We are learning about SUVAT (displacement, velocity, acceleration etc). I was pretty confused so I have to reread my notes
I apologise for changing my posts' format everytime which might be quite confusing. I'm still finding one that suits me.

Today's lessons:
Biology (3 hours of lesson)
Did a practical on beetroot to investigate the effect of temperature on cell membrane which was not bad
Learned to calculate the ratio of ATCGU in DNA and RNA

Chemistry (1 hour)
Continued on oxidation number and identifying a redox reaction

Maths (1 hour)
Started "Cleaning the data", aka finding outliers and decide to delete it or not
Found some exercises online on SUVAT stuff because I haven't learnt it before
Finding past papers on previous topics because the teacher didn't give us enough!

French (1 hour)
Learnt a few new vocab on technology

What I did today:
Did my maths homework on SUVAT but is stuck on one of the questions
Searched past paper online as extra exercises

Other stuff:

I'm stressed. I feel like my boarding school is like a prison. I'm stuck here everyday because there is no where to go and no transport to go to anywhere unless someone drives us. I feel like the only purpose of these two years is because to study and do nothing else. (I know it/s irrational to think about this but they are actually half true.) While this Grow your Grades blog does motivate me to improve my grades, to be more organised, to prepare for work, it stresses me out because it kept reminding me how I have to be perfect. I have to study all the time, I have to be super organised all the time, and I have to do something productive so I can write update it etc.

Sad stuff apart, someone actually called me smart during chemistry lesson. :smile: I was overwhelmed with joy hearing this. It may sound stupid but I felt all the hard work I have done for the past several years paid off. Nights where I slept at midnight, meals I couldn't eat because I was too stressed, stomach aches. I realized all I needed is just recognition and a little bit of praising.
Sorry, I am stopping to update this blog. It takes too much time. May come back later but I am not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending