The Student Room Group

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students?

Scroll to see replies

How about two separate toilets for two different genders - MALE AND FEMALE. No more of this made up third/fourth/forty-ninth kind of gender. It's utter rubbish propagated by attention seekers; much like the leather shoe wearing vegans.
Original post by Anonymouse 921
If you are male you have an XY chromosome, if you are female you have YY chromosomes. You do not lose or gain chromosomes during a 'sex change'. Thus one should go to the bathroom of their chromosome combination, as it is impossible to change one's gender.

As a conclusion, as one cannot change their gender, then they should use the bathroom of their birth sex.

This. Your DNA will always reveal your gender. There is no third chromosome combination. Basic biology, really.
Original post by Tiger Rag
If they're not disabled, they shouldn't be using the disabled toilet. They're for disabled people.

If they are not Biologically male they should be not using the male toilets and vice versa.

And anyway why not just rename the disabled toilets to "Other" or something like that. It solves the issue people have perfectly without having to build more toilets or pander to these people
If you are male you have an XY chromosome, if you are female you have YY chromosomes.

*******s.
Original post by AperfectBalance
If they are not Biologically male they should be not using the male toilets and vice versa.

And anyway why not just rename the disabled toilets to "Other" or something like that. It solves the issue people have perfectly without having to build more toilets or pander to these people

But why should a disabled person have to wait for the transgender person to use the toilet? Not all of us can wait.
Hell no
I think that if they are transgender they should use the cubicle that suits them.
Reply 107
if you are female you have YY chromosomes

you mean XX... lmao
The f*ck's gender neutral?
Original post by Ljubljana
This. Your DNA will always reveal your gender. There is no third chromosome combination. Basic biology, really.

Third-year biologist popping in here. There's actually a LOT more than three chromosome combinations - the most common outside XX/XY being XXY. And even people with XX/XY chromosomes can be biologically intersex in other ways, for example by having atypical genitals for their chromosome combination. That's biological fact, not opinion.
But why should a disabled person have to wait for the transgender person to use the toilet? Not all of us can wait.

Why should a normal person have to wait for a transgender person to use the toilet?

In most places there are few people that are disabled bar some obvious reasons why disabled people might be in a highly concentrated area.

In most places there are also few transgender people, if you got a room filled with 100 people and asked anyone that was transgender and anyone that was disabled enough that they needed to use to disabled toilet you would get very few people. so toilets should always be free or atleast not with a giant line and worse case if you want to think that you are a different gender then go in that genders bathroom and go to the toilet.
OF COURSE. All schools should have gender neutral bathrooms. It doesn't have to be ALL of the bathrooms, you can still have some gender-segregated if you want to.

I am a trans guy. (I'm male but have 'female parts') And I tell you. The fear I have to experience going into the men's bathrooms at college is INTENSE. To the extent I can't go into them if I'm wearing certain clothes because I'm worried some transphobe will have an issue with me pissing in the same place as him.
Why should a normal person have to wait for a transgender person to use the toilet?

Since when did they have to? Most places have more than one toilet.
My school has one gender neutral bathroom but the rest are normal bathrooms. If you have a problem with the gender neutral ones you just use the normal toilets, it’s not that difficult. The only problem I have is that boys are discussing and there is now piss all over the place in those bathrooms, but that’s just because boys are horrible.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Third-year biologist popping in here. There's actually a LOT more than three chromosome combinations - the most common outside XX/XY being XXY. And even people with XX/XY chromosomes can be biologically intersex in other ways, for example by having atypical genitals for their chromosome combination. That's biological fact, not opinion.

But this is not what we are talking about, those genetic defects are abnormalities, this is not saying that someone who has XXY or some other defect does not have those chromosomes just that if you have XY you are male and XX you are female .
Since when did they have to? Most places have more than one toilet.

People sometimes have to line up to wait for a toilet, not always but sometimes. This is due to most places having a sufficent amount of toilets adding transgender people to the list of people that use disabled toilets will hardly mean that there are 100's of people waiting in line for the disabled toilet, I would even be suprised if people noticed any more waiting for using a disabled toilet
So we need more toilets for all these freaks? Just pick one or use the disabled toilet. It's probably where they belong

"Just pick one" is hard when politicians, particularly over in the states, are trying to ban people from using the toilet they find appropriate, which is what brought attention to this whole thing in the first place and led to more gender-neutral bathrooms being suggested as an option.

But this is not what we are talking about, those genetic defects are abnormalities, this is not saying that someone who has XXY or some other defect does not have those chromosomes just that if you have XY you are male and XX you are female .

Ljubljana said there is no third chromosome combination, which is just plain false. There are many, many ways in which you can be biologically neither male nor female in the typical sense. It's also possible to have XY chromosomes and to naturally appear outwardly as a girl or vice-versa, to the extent that sometimes people don't realise they're intersex until they try to have kids and find out they're infertile. XY = Male and XX = Female is a huge oversimplification.
I think they should have somewhere to go that is gender neutral, but most schools are underfunded and spending money on another bathroom facility maybe isnt necessary if there is a disabled toilet which is multi-sex anyway.
Original post by Saoirse:3
"Just pick one" is hard when politicians, particularly over in the states, are trying to ban people from using the toilet they find appropriate, which is what brought attention to this whole thing in the first place and led to more gender-neutral bathrooms being suggested as an option.

Ljubljana said there is no third chromosome combination, which is just plain false. There are many, many ways in which you can be biologically neither male nor female in the typical sense. It's also possible to have XY chromosomes and to naturally appear outwardly as a girl or vice-versa, to the extent that sometimes people don't realise they're intersex until they try to have kids and find out they're infertile. XY = Male and XX = Female is a huge oversimplification.

Tbh though I would find it concerning if a man walked into the women's toilets, especially if there are young girls using them. If you are a man, use the men's toilets. I think that closes this matter.
Tbh though I would find it concerning if a man walked into the women's toilets, especially if there are young girls using them. If you are a man, use the men's toilets. I think that closes this matter.

It really doesn't, since a lot of men don't have XY chromosomes and a lot of people with XY chromosomes aren't men - and that's purely on 100% accepted biology before you even consider the idea of non-binary or trans people. It's pretty much impossible to find a 100% applicable definition of a 'man' or 'woman' - it's all to do with perceptions which are inherently subjective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending