The Student Room Group

Which uni course is best?

Hi I'm applying to start university in September 2018 and I'm unsure what course I should apply for. My choices are between Geology and Environmental science. I eventually want to go into climatology and both these courses could lead me to this, but I'm unsure which course would be best. I know a geology degree could be seen as more respected and give more status, as I would become part of the geological society, but I'm unsure if environmental since could lead me more onto what i want to do in future.
Original post by Morganwell18
Hi I'm applying to start university in September 2018 and I'm unsure what course I should apply for. My choices are between Geology and Environmental science. I eventually want to go into climatology and both these courses could lead me to this, but I'm unsure which course would be best. I know a geology degree could be seen as more respected and give more status, as I would become part of the geological society, but I'm unsure if environmental since could lead me more onto what i want to do in future.

geology is where the money is -im just saying
Original post by Morganwell18

I don't think environmental science degrees are necessarily better for getting into climatology than geology degree, but I definitely would recommend that you look closely at the modules offered by different courses before you apply because there are significant differences. Climatology is a very broad field - you can study the climate through a range of sub-disciplines, from sedimentology to palaeontology to stable isotope geochemistry to oceanography to climate modelling. Any idea what particular aspect you're more interested in?

Edit: Just to add, accreditation is pretty irrelevant if you want to go into academia (and to be honest, in general for geoscience) so I wouldn't worry about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending