The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iainvg
In the case of TSR, i'd have no problem going back to the old model with subscribers and a monthly fee. But the new model, £5 = 500 page views, so I did an audit of how many page views i've made on here in the past month, and came to the conclusion that to continue at my current rate, I'd need to be spending about £30 a month, i'm not a particularly heavy user, but lets think about this. If you have seen a post that interests you from the front page.

Page count:
1. Home Page
2. Post of interest
You want to make a comment?
3. Send reply
4. returns you to post of interest.

4 pageviews just to make a comment, and you're going to charge people £5 for 500, or force them to run obtrusive adverts instead.

I'm still of the opinion that until it's made explicitly clear, the current wording of the ePrivacy Directive, requires that implicit consent must have been given for the running of any adblock detection to occur, rather than the implied they're trying to pull at the moment. When GDPR comes into effect, there will be none of this implied BS, because they'll be legally required to get implicit permission for any data collection.

A script, running in the background (yes, i've checked, it's an adaptation of a fairly well known one, and it's one of the most obtrusive as well) that is collecting information from the client side of an interaction, is data collection.

As it stands, i've just set up a whole new set of custom rules for bypassing this, if you want money from me to remove the popups, fine. Use a reasonable model and i'll consider it. Especially as most of the time, i'm personally not here to search for help.

However, with this model, taking into account that the little quip about 65 staff yada yada, TSR Group is a multimillion pound business according to 2016 filings, blocks are in place, just like every other multimillion business doing this dubious practice.

Can't believe I missed this comment, completely agree.
Original post by moonkatt
I've noticed more and more websites now tell me I'm running an ad blocker.

Its interesting to see the different ways they inform you and how patronising, invasive and aggressive they are. Some websites are better than others.
What's TSR's doing, it's like walking past/entering a shop and being spammed by whoever on the street/in the store, and when you say "no thank you" they keep harrassing you instead then call you rude.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah, I just blocked the element (purple thing) with uBlock Origin.
Original post by Kravence
If you're using adblock plus, either use block element and then click the purple bar or you can go to settings and add the element manually.

It's this btw "thestudentroom.co.uk##.fc-root.fc-pinned-message-container"

Spoiler

I am trying to block using ABP in Firefox. Where do I find Block Element? Where do I find settings?
TSR // Google search for Sexy Stalin // Google search for Is it gay to like moustaches // Google search for Naughty Theresa // Certain site with Fields of Wheat p // Google search for Nearest Wheat Fields // Google search for How to remove wheat from ...
Hiya, I've responded to some of the issues in this thread and others in here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5003822
Original post by nulli tertius
I am trying to block using ABP in Firefox. Where do I find Block Element? Where do I find settings?

When you click the extension icon it should give you the option to block element, I'm not sure if the layout is the same as the chrome version
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Tried, doesn't work for me. Must be browser-specific.

Download a different version of adblock and you can literally right click it and block
When you click the extension icon it should give you the option to block element, I'm not sure if the layout is the same as the chrome version

What is the extension icon?

I have a red hexagon.
What is the extension icon?

I have a red hexagon.

That's what I'm talking about
That's what I'm talking about

What I am offered is:

Report issue on this page

Open blockable items

Filter preferences

Disable on thestudentroom.com

Disable on this page only

Disable everywhere

Options

Contribute to Adblock Plus

Options has a sub-menu:

Show tabs on flash and Java

Count filter hits

Sync Adblock Plus settings
What I am offered is:

Report issue on this page

Open blockable items

Filter preferences

Disable on thestudentroom.com

Disable on this page only

Disable everywhere

Options

Contribute to Adblock Plus

Options has a sub-menu:

Show tabs on flash and Java

Count filter hits

Sync Adblock Plus settings

I guess it's different for firefox then as this is what i'm presented with;

Enabled on this site

Block Element

Ads Blocked

9 on this page

6,009 Total

Options
x

Try downloading uBlock Origin - it works.

Right click the purple box and select block element. In the right hand corner a box will come up so hover over it and click "preview" it should get rid of the purple box. If it does select "create".
So I've whitelisted TSR, got the green thumbs up on adblock, I see all the annoying ads, and I still keep getting the adblock message screen, except it never even goes to the message with me, but just presents me with a white page that never loads.
Original post by Tian1Sky
So I've whitelisted TSR, got the green thumbs up on adblock, I see all the annoying ads, and I still keep getting the adblock message screen, except it never even goes to the message with me, but just presents me with a white page that never loads.

Download uBlock Origin
Don't whitelist TSR
'Zap' the pop-up message with element zapper
Enjoy ad-free experience
Original post by Tian1Sky

If you have Adblock Plus on Chrome then you can click on the Adblock Plus icon, click Block Element and click that nasty purple box thingy. I don't know if it works on Firefox as well but I know there is an extension you can get for Firefox that also enables this.
To be honest guys they're entitled to take steps to protect their ad revenue. You're not just automatically entitled to use other people's websites for free.

That said, I personally have adblocked the please-dont-use-adblock banner, so :dontknow:

I also clicked through to buy a pass, and would have done if it were a set fee rather than based on page views. Looks like no-one is happy with that, so they should probably rethink it (or put a stronger anti-adblock mechanism in place).
Original post by TimmonaPortella
To be honest guys they're entitled to take steps to protect their ad revenue. You're not just automatically entitled to use other people's websites for free.

That said, I personally have adblocked the please-dont-use-adblock banner, so :dontknow:

I also clicked through to buy a pass, and would have done if it were a set fee rather than based on page views. Looks like no-one is happy with that, so they should probably rethink it (or put a stronger anti-adblock mechanism in place).

I wouldn't mind if they hijacked my CPU a bit to mine blockchains, but I have a strict data cap and also don't appreciate their tracking elements.
Original post by spotify95
If you have Adblock Plus on Chrome then you can click on the Adblock Plus icon, click Block Element and click that nasty purple box thingy. I don't know if it works on Firefox as well but I know there is an extension you can get for Firefox that also enables this.

Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Download uBlock Origin
Don't whitelist TSR
'Zap' the pop-up message with element zapper
Enjoy ad-free experience

Thanks for the tips, will check them out.

Latest

Trending

Trending