The Student Room Group

4 ATP and phosphorus in Glycolysis?

Please could somebody explain where the four phosphors come from in glycolysis? I get that two come (one each) from the triose phosphate when NAD is reduced, but where do the other two come from (to get a net of two ATP produced overall)?
Thanks! :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by SpohieAlice
Please could somebody explain where the four phosphors come from in glycolysis? I get that two come (one each) from the triose phosphate when NAD is reduced, but where do the other two come from (to get a net of two ATP produced overall)?
Thanks! :smile:

Did you get any response to this because i am confused on exactly the same thing and can't find help anywhere?
I am guessing you are doing A-level biology (like me) and the content we learn misses a few steps. I looked your question up and this diagram seems to explain it: http://biology-themiracleoflife.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/cellular-respiration-glycolysis.html
Looks like each triose phosphate has Pi added before two molecules of ADP are phosphorylated.
I think this is beyond the scope of A-level.
Reply 4
It took a while, but I think eventually I found that they just come from elsewhere in the cell generally; there wasn't a particular step that generated them. It's not the most satisfying answer. You could try Khan academy, I think I remember it being pretty good. Sorry I can't answer better, it's been a while. Good luck, it's pretty hard to find info on this stuff!
Reply 5
It comes from other parts of respiration like the krebs cycle or oxidative phosphorylation.

Quick Reply

Latest