The Student Room Group

Which university do you go to and do you like it?

Does your university live up to its place on the league tables etc
Original post by Goeke

Bath - do I like it? Yes. Difficult course but not impossibly difficult, beautiful town and campus, free language classes, sporty societies, stuff going on, good links to employers supposedly. Not a fan of the high(er) rent prices and location of accommodation but quelle dommage.

League tables should only be used to very roughly work out how reputable/'good' (arbitrarily) a uni is, and then go from there to do research and visit open days and see whether you'd actually enjoy it there. What this means is that if a subject league table had 122 unis and you were looking at uni 117, there's probably a number of reasons why it's so low and one to avoid. If you're loooking at one that was 23 this year and 13 last year or 40 this year and 50 last year... judge it on its own merits.
Reply 2
Cambridge.

'nuff said.
Original post by Goeke

Exeter

It absolutely does live up to its place on league tables and its reputation in general. I'm probably a bit more fortunate for the opportunities here because my first university was just nowhere near as good in comparison.

- The campus is lovely
- The people are great
- There are soooooo many socieities and events on
- Staff actually listen to students, the lecturers are fantastic (as are the lecture rooms themselves)
- Things go at a good pace with plenty of challenging work set each week on my course
- Constant, and I mean constant employer engagement with socieities and the careers services. Especially the law society - firms have exclusive open days just for exeter students
- Town is small but quaint, means everything is in walking distance. Haven't taken a taxi once yet
- My accomodation literally feels like a hotel

Sure, people in my accomodation are a bit cliquey since it's filled with boarding and private school kids who seem to have known each other before even coming to uni but they're still approachable people. Sure, the hills suck a bit but you get seriously fit from all the walking. Sure, socio-economically/racially it's not very diverse but it has a sizable international community to get to know. Sure, I haven't found "close" mates yet but it's still early days.

On the whole I'm thoroughly content with this uni and have a lot pride/loyalty for the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I studied at Aston.

10/10

Decent cost of living considering 2nd city, strong links with top employers, free language courses alongside your degree, nice campus, small university so good community feeling, good nightlife, great placement year opportunities, nice accommodation, amazing location (pretty much IN the city centre), top 30 uni and rightly so, especially for its business school. ABOVE ALL, EVERYONE IS LAID BACK, DOWN TO EARTH AND NOT UP THEMSELVES! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
LSE
I love it, 10/10, great location, very diverse student body, great societies, great (and frequent) careers events, lots of high quality people, lectures are kinda pointless though since they already give you the lecture notes and lecture slides in advance online
Considering that it is ranked anywhere from 4th to 15th, I'd say the former is a better representation, it tends to be a bit underrated but obviously it's not Oxbridge
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending