The Student Room Group

GYG 2017-18 Reach for the A*s...or 9s or...whatever

heyyyy

I'm Mez, yeah that's my name, try and guess my actual one (bonus points for spelling) im 15 and in year 10! why i'm
doing this gyg? well apart from having to live up to my asian parents expectations, i wanna see myself improve and motivate others to achieve their best. scroll down below to find out more about this gyg

Anyways, here is what I am taking in terms of GCSEs:

Spoiler

What I've achieved so far:

Spoiler

And if you wanna know a lil more about me, then look no further:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

subject rants:
so we're almost at that half term mark, let's 'reflect' or in my case rant about the last couple of weeks

English
absolute rubbish, my teacher is a mess and her voice makes me fall asleep. it doesnt help that we always have english last period anyway. we've read through two acts of an inspector calls, she made us do some analysis thing but idk what its about. guess i'll have to learn all my english stuff off of youtube or something.

Maths
same teacher as year 8&9. not as bad as some of my friends maths teachers so its ok. done upper/lower bounds, some algebra things, quadratics, circle stuff.

Biology
not the best, but i love the subject so it makes it bearable. main thing that interested me was learning about stem cells, so cool.

Chemistry
actually amazing, got a new teacher who's fab, i think i might acc pass chemistry gcse. done some bonds and nanoparticle stuff

Physics
a mess. hate my teacher, dont understand anything. just really dislike physics

German
ok, but grammar's getting to me as well as the translations fgs. still, love it alot and my class is lit

Latin
getting kinda bored tbh, but its an easy gcse. lit teacher and set to is full of bants

History
thought it would be bad, but is acc quite good. learnt alot, although still dunno how to write an essay yet

Art
the bane of my life currently, its ok bc i like art, but im not good at it and am surrounded by amazing artists and im just like omd

Drama
love love love. we don't even do much but its just yesssss love my teacher and set, going to see a frantic assembly play on thurs so yeah
(edited 6 years ago)
im obviously going to be following you gurl :biggrin:
I'm in year 10 too! Good luck with your subjects :biggrin:
i wish i took my rs exam in yr 9....:frown:

how rude of me lol!
CONGRATS ON THE RS A*!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
tests/exams/imminent doom updates

art sketchbook grades:
7,8,8,7,6,7 = averaging grade 7

fri 13th oct - chemistry test on bonding, nanoparticles
RESULT - 33/37 = 89% = grade 9!!

mon 16th oct - physics test on forces and their effects pt.1
RESULT - 30/45 = 67% = grade 7

tue 7th nov - biology test on cells
RESULT - 42/53 = 80% = grade 8

mon 13th nov - latin translation test
RESULT - 46/60 = 77% = grade 7

tue 14th nov - german listening/translation/reading test
RESULT - 30.5/39 = 78% = grade 8

tue 14th nov - history essay 'why clemenceau was salty about the treaty of versailles'
RESULT - 14/20 = 70% = grade 7

wed 16th nov - maths test
RESULT - 41/44 = 93% = grade 8

thur 7th dec - physics test on forces pt. 2
RESULT - 23/39 = 58% = we don't ever talk about this again ok? but apparently a grade 7?!!

fri 8th dec - chemistry test on moles & co.
RESULT - 38/43 = 88% = grade 9!!

tues 12th dec - english essay about the generation gap in 'an inspector calls'
RESULT - 18/30 = 60% = grade 6...oh well it was partly our teacher's fault as she didn't help us prep so it's fine
REDO - 20/30 = 67% = grade 7 hey at least it's an improvement!

mon 18th dec - drama live theatre essay
RESULT - grade 8!

tues 16th jan - bio test on enzymes and digestion
RESULT - 42/55 = 76% = grade 8

wed 31st jan - maths test (histograms, circle theorems, direct/inverse proportion, 3D trig)
RESULT - 39/44 = 89% = grade 7??

thurs 8th feb - inspector calls social responsibility essay
RESULT - 17/30 = grade 6 bahahah couldn't care less tbh
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by A.N123
im obviously going to be following you gurl :biggrin:

thank youuu xx
Original post by laurawatt
I'm in year 10 too! Good luck with your subjects :biggrin:

you too xx
Original post by A.N123
i wish i took my rs exam in yr 9....:frown:

how rude of me lol!
CONGRATS ON THE RS A*!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

aww thank you!! i took it as an extra at school
Tues 17th Oct

Late night thoughts... It's kinda late I guess...for me it is anyway. Just realised I haven't packed my bag brb.

Tomorrow's Subjects:

Spoiler

Although half the year is gone tomorrow as it's a geography field trip for those uneducated people who decided to take geog (no offense) but I don't really see the point in geog tbh.

Wed 18th Oct

Wake up and pray. Get ready etc.
I don't really do breakfast bc I find it hard to eat so early in the morning. I ate an eclair and a couple of shortbread things.

The perks of going to a grammar school is that my school is an hour away from school so I've gotta get a coach(!!) This gives us time to do any last minute hw or like just sleep.
(edited 6 years ago)
M a T H s
was better than I thought, although there was like 10 of us in the lesson. We did some gcse sample paper Qs and it was actually ok for once

A r T
was literally 10 of us and we just did some of our class work stuff. We spilt dye everywhere

H i S T o R y
I fell asleep bc again no one was here so we just watched some documentary on the League of Nations.

P H y S i C s
was actually ok!! And that's saying something bc I hate physics but I acc understood it. We did speed and velocity and we gotta teach it to the rest of our class bc our teacher can't teach.

D R a M a
we just watched the y13 devised piece which was amazingg
(edited 6 years ago)
i want to do medicine too! but you seem so clever compared to me! i’m wanting/predicted 8’s and 9’s but not sure if i’m capable as it’s not what im working at, i’m going to take coaching courses in skiing and swimming as a backup because i might want to do sport science or something if i don’t get the grades

(in year 10 and taking english,maths,bio,chem,physics,re,pe,history,geography,spanish)

wbu guys??
Original post by anyapoundall02
i want to do medicine too! but you seem so clever compared to me! i’m wanting/predicted 8’s and 9’s but not sure if i’m capable as it’s not what im working at, i’m going to take coaching courses in skiing and swimming as a backup because i might want to do sport science or something if i don’t get the grades

(in year 10 and taking english,maths,bio,chem,physics,re,pe,history,geography,spanish)

wbu guys??

hiya!
i'm sure you're super clever girl, I mean i havent even been predicted any grades yet XD
skiing and swimming sounds lit! great extracurriculars, but I'm sure you'll get the grades for medicine xx

How are you finding y10 so far, and what motivated you to wanna do med?

tomorrows subjects:

Physics...yipee(!)
Latin yay
PE a mess

then I miss German and English bc we are going to see a drama performance for our live theatre thing!
Original post by mez_merising
tues 17th oct 22.28
late night thoughts... It's kinda late i guess...for me it is anyway. Just realised i haven't packed my bag brb.

tomorrow's subjects:

Spoiler

although half the year is gone tomorrow as it's a geography field trip for those uneducated people who decided to take geog (no offense) but i don't really see the point in geog tbh.

Aight, so before i sleep i get a quote from the qur'an (yes i'm a muslim and no i'm not a terrorist)
you could do this with any book, and i find it detoxing after setting an alarm and putting my phone on airplane mode. I just flick to any old random page and whatever i first see.

wake up and pray. Get ready etc.
I don't really do breakfast bc i find it hard to eat so early in the morning. I ate an eclair and a couple of shortbread things.

the perks of going to a grammar school is that my school is an hour away from school so i've gotta get a coach(!!) this gives us time to do any last minute hw or like just sleep. Today imma do some q&a's so you get to know me better.

1. Height
2. Pets
3. Location
4. Eye colour
5. Hair colour
6. Fav food
7. Fav subject
8. Least fav subject
9. First fandom
10. Fav movies
11. Fav books
12. Ethnicity
13. Star sign
14. Middle name
15. Instagram

Spoiler

i love the kingsman movies
Original post by mez_merising
hiya!
i'm sure you're super clever girl, I mean i havent even been predicted any grades yet XD
skiing and swimming sounds lit! great extracurriculars, but I'm sure you'll get the grades for medicine xx

How are you finding y10 so far, and what motivated you to wanna do med?

aw thank you but i got moved down a set in english and maths 😂😩 year 10 is ok but lots of pressure and stress compared to lower school/ks3!
i don’t really know why i want to medicine but i’ve always been so fascinated with the subject and being able to help people 👍🏼

wbu?
Reply 16
cOOLIO
Original post by A.N123
i love the kingsman movies

yasssss
Original post by anyapoundall02
aw thank you but i got moved down a set in english and maths 😂😩 year 10 is ok but lots of pressure and stress compared to lower school/ks3!
i don’t really know why i want to medicine but i’ve always been so fascinated with the subject and being able to help people 👍🏼

wbu?

completely agree, the workload for y10 is soooo much compare to y9!!
we don't have sets in our school, but we're all pushed to aim for 8/9s
Thurs 19th Oct

On the coach. I had a doughnut for breakfast (don't judge me)

On the train back from school bc we went to see a drama production which was littttttt

P H y S i C s
was boring - did something on acceleration

L a T i N
just tranlsated some more stuff and got a vocab sheet to learn

P H y S i C a L jdsba e D u C a T I o N
we did table tennis, or we were supposed to be doing it but we ended up trying to hit it through the basketball hoops
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending