The Student Room Group

Only got insured 2 weeks ago and scratched someones car

h.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aily M
Hi i m a new driver . Only got insured two weeks ago. I was getting late for interview and i was getting out tight space and scratched someones car bumper and didnt even realise it and i thought thats my clutch making noise as it does and perfectly drove off. Now after i came back home my husband u scraped someones car and didnt even tell me abt it. the women across the street saw it and told the guy whose car it was. Now i apologized to that guy. and he said he will go privately. The scratch is around 2 inches long and car is 13 years old and volvo grey in colour. I am dreading its gona b too much and feel so stupid. can anyone tell me how much the cost is gona b around or shud i go with my insurance

It's just a lil scratch, not many people gets those little things fixed - if anything the guys gona ask for reimbursement since you already hit his car. Probs less than 25£ in my view. No need to worry.
@IWMTom

Bro, your the big man when it comes to these topics.
Original post by Aily M
Hi i m a new driver . Only got insured two weeks ago. I was getting late for interview and i was getting out tight space and scratched someones car bumper and didnt even realise it and i thought thats my clutch making noise as it does and perfectly drove off. Now after i came back home my husband u scraped someones car and didnt even tell me abt it. the women across the street saw it and told the guy whose car it was. Now i apologized to that guy. and he said he will go privately. The scratch is around 2 inches long and car is 13 years old and volvo grey in colour. I am dreading its gona b too much and feel so stupid. can anyone tell me how much the cost is gona b around or shud i go with my insurance

Ring around and get some quotes. take a photo.

Do not claim on the insurance.
Reply 4
Original post by Aily M

Strictly speaking, you need to inform your insurer but not necessarily quote. I won't go into a big moral debate, I'm just stating the facts.

The price of the repair depends on a few things - how deep, the paint, and how well of a job the owner wants doing. You'll have to ask him to get quotes, and go with what seems reasonable between you.
Original post by Aily M

I'd also leave your details with 101 perhaps, @IWMTom would you agree?

It's not fair on the other party paying for your damages :nope:
Reply 6
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I'd also leave your details with the control room perhaps, @IWMTom would you agree?

It's not fair on the other person paying for your damages :nope:

Looks like the OP has already made contact with the other party?
Original post by IWMTom
Looks like the OP has already made contact with the other party?

Just as I posted that, I read that :rofl:

Classic Sheepy :facepalm:
Reply 8
Thankyou for ur replies. when i cam home they already had come to my husband telling him about the scratch as it is around 2 inches big and got my red paint there which was too obvious for them to figure out eve if the lady hadnt told them. I went to there house and apoligized and explained that if i had known i have done it i wud have come to him straight away . i was feeling stupid as i didnt even realise that is the sound of scratch not the clutch. He was nice and said i dont want to go through insurance but needs to get it fixed coz he has looked after the car and wants to drive another year or so more and want to make sure its safe for his daughter. i dont know if scratch can affect break system or not. he said its old car so paint job wud b specific for his car. not sure how much its gona cost me though as i passed in feb but only got car 2 weeks ago.
Reply 9
Hi everyone just a quick question. if u scratch someones car while coming out of parking space can it effect there handbreak too .
Original post by Aily M
Hi everyone just a quick question. if u scratch someones car while coming out of parking space can it effect there handbreak too .

What has the handbrake got to do with small cosmetic damage?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Aily M

I highly doubt it.
Reply 12
The guy is charging me 350 for hand brakes and paint job . Apparently i have messed up his hand breaks too.
Reply 13
Original post by Aily M
The guy is charging me 350 for hand brakes and paint job . Apparently i have messed up his hand breaks too.

I don't see how that's possible in the slightest. Perhaps if you rammed the living **** out of it, but only scratching it? No chance.
Reply 14
Yeah thats wht i mean. its was a slight scratch while coming out of parking spot . He knows i cant go through insurannce as it will mess up my premium . Thanks for ur replies guys
Reply 15
Original post by Aily M
Yeah thats wht i mean. its was a slight scratch while coming out of parking spot . He knows i cant go through insurannce as it will mess up my premium . Thanks for ur replies guys

Put it this way, he's trying to fleece you. Whatever you do, don't pay for his handbrake.
If someone was so incompetent at driving that they hit my car (happened once before) I would put my car into a main dealer, use only main brand parts and ask the mechanic to look for any other potential damage that isn't instantly noticeable, which I would get rectified. If you crash into someone, you deserve what you get.
Reply 17
Original post by UniWasEz
If someone was so incompetent at driving that they hit my car (happened once before) I would put my car into a main dealer, use only main brand parts and ask the mechanic to look for any other potential damage that isn't instantly noticeable, which I would get rectified. If you crash into someone, you deserve what you get.

Feel free to explain how OP slightly scratching a car reflects on a bill for a handbrake repair.
Original post by IWMTom
Feel free to explain how OP slightly scratching a car reflects on a bill for a handbrake repair.

I wasn't there, I simply said what I would do if a bad driver hit my car.
Reply 19
Original post by UniWasEz
I wasn't there, I simply said what I would do if a bad driver hit my car.

One would need to prove that any "underlying damage" was a direct result of the collision.

Quick Reply

Latest