The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Does imperial not accept BTECS?

Hi everyone,

I’m a mature student who has recently completed a level 3 extended diploma in engineering in addition to a maths A-level.

My overall BTEC grade was D*D*D* - Equivalent to 168 UCASS tariff points

And I got an A in A-level maths - Equivalent to 48 UCASS tariff points

I’m currently searching for an undergraduate course in Aerospace engineering however i am having difficulty telling which universities will accept my qualifications.

I found that the imperial college offers such a course but only A-levels are specified as the entry requirement. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there is a chance they would accept a BTEC + A-level or could recommend the next best university that would.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you very much in advance. :smile:
Original post by Kambu
Hi everyone,

I’m a mature student who has recently completed a level 3 extended diploma in engineering in addition to a maths A-level.

I’m currently searching for an undergraduate course in Aerospace engineering however i am having difficulty telling which universities will accept my qualifications.

I found that the imperial college offers such a course but only A-levels are specified as the entry requirement. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there is a chance they would accept a BTEC + A-level or could recommend the next best university that would.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you very much in advance. :smile:

I'm afraid Imperial won't accept you as they require an A* in maths A-level for aeronautical engineering, and strongly recommend that you take further maths, which you haven't done.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
I'm afraid Imperial won't accept you as they require an A* in maths A-level for aeronautical engineering, and strongly recommend that you take further maths, which you haven't done.

:frown: thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea what the next best uni is that i might be able to get into?
Reply 3
I think imperial are actually the only uni in the UK who don't accept BTEC for any course unfortunately.

However, D*D*D* + A in Maths are excellent grades and you could still go to a top uni with that.

Cambridge accept D*D*D* (In Engineering)+A*(In Maths) for their General Engineering degree, so might be worth aiming for?

Southampton will accept (5th in Uk for Aerospace)

Nottingham will accept without even A level Maths and DDD in Engineering (8th for Aerospace)

UCL accept with D*D*D* but only Mechanical Engineering

Bristol 4th for Aerospace Eng: D*DD+A

Bath 3rd for Aerospace Eng: D*D*D*+A*

Other good unis for Aerospace/Aeronautics that would accept you include: Brunel, Liverpool and Swansea

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
I think imperial are actually the only uni in the UK who don't accept BTEC for any course unfortunately.

However, D*D*D* + A in Maths are excellent grades and you could still go to a top uni with that.

Cambridge accept D*D*D* (In Engineering)+A*(In Maths) for their General Engineering degree, so might be worth aiming for?

Southampton will accept (5th in Uk for Aerospace)

Nottingham will accept without even A level Maths and DDD in Engineering (8th for Aerospace)

UCL accept with D*D*D* but only Mechanical Engineering

Bristol 4th for Aerospace Eng: D*DD+A

Bath 3rd for Aerospace Eng: D*D*D*+A*

Other good unis for Aerospace/Aeronautics that would accept you include: Brunel, Liverpool and Swansea

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the great reply! :biggrin:

I will e-mail Cambridge admission today to see if i have a chance with the general engineering course.

I also checked out the UCL course you mentioned for mechanical engineering . Unfortunately it appears only the BEng degree programme accepts BTEC. I was hoping to do the MEng so will also e-mail them and pray that with the A-level maths they might allow me to do it. *fingers crossed*

I'm also strongly considering bath university after you said it was 3rd in aerospace - which is the course that appeals to me most.

Thanks again for the help! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kambu
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, Imperial doesn't accept BTEC's. However, you should check out some other great universities like Bristol and Loughborough.
Reply 6
Original post by Kambu
Thanks for the great reply! :biggrin:

I will e-mail Cambridge admission today to see if i have a chance with the general engineering course.

I also checked out the UCL course you mentioned for mechanical engineering . Unfortunately it appears only the BEng degree programme accepts BTEC. I was hoping to do the MEng so will also e-mail them and pray that with the A-level maths they might allow me to do it. *fingers crossed*

I'm also strongly considering bath university after you said it was 3rd in aerospace - which is the course that appeals to me most.

Thanks again for the help! :smile:

No problem,

With UCL couldn't you just do the BEng and then go to to Imperial for an MSc in Aerospace?
Reply 7
Original post by yt7777
No problem,

With UCL couldn't you just do the BEng and then go to to Imperial for an MSc in Aerospace?

That's a good plan but there would be no guarantee Imperial would accept me after finishing the BEng. It's kind of risky.

I also heard back from Cambridge regarding whether D*D*D* and A in maths would be enough for their general engineering. They pretty much just told me to look at the entry requirements ...so i guess that's a no. :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Kambu
That's a good plan but there would be no guarantee Imperial would accept me after finishing the BEng. It's kind of risky.

I also heard back from Cambridge regarding whether D*D*D* and A in maths would be enough for their general engineering. They pretty much just told me to look at the entry requirements ...so i guess that's a no. :frown:

Thats true but if you are on track for the grade in your degree then there is a good chance, but that is a long way off.

Ahh right, have you obtained your A level Maths yet or do you still need to take the exams? if so, it might be worth applying, then if you get you might get a conditional of an A*?
Original post by Kambu

Tbf if you look at the entry requirements it says you need A*A*A including physics and maths a-level. As pointed out though, there are plenty of great unis like bristol that you meet the requirements for :smile:.
Reply 10
Original post by yt7777
Thats true but if you are on track for the grade in your degree then there is a good chance, but that is a long way off.

Ahh right, have you obtained your A level Maths yet or do you still need to take the exams? if so, it might be worth applying, then if you get you might get a conditional of an A*?

Already have the A-level unfortunately >_< still waiting to hear back from UCL about their mechanical MEng course. If that fails i suppose the next best would be Bristol / Bathe i think.

Do you happen to have any opinion on which you think is better out of those two? (Bristol and Bathe)
Reply 11
Original post by Kambu
Already have the A-level unfortunately >_< still waiting to hear back from UCL about their mechanical MEng course. If that fails i suppose the next best would be Bristol / Bathe i think.

Do you happen to have any opinion on which you think is better out of those two? (Bristol and Bathe)

Ahh fair enough, also I was just checking and I cant actually see anywhere on the imperial website to say they dont allow BTEC, so might be worth emailing?

Ahh fair enough, is the BEng 100% not an option then?

Umm I'm not sure, I imagine they're about similar so I'd go with what course looks better in terms of modules and think more about location/student life too as they're both about the same in quality (however Bristol is a RG and Bath isnt - if thats important to you?). I think Bath has really high student satisfaction and I believe one of the 'safest' campuses in the country and Bristol is a really nice city too.
Reply 12
Original post by black1blade
Tbf if you look at the entry requirements it says you need A*A*A including physics and maths a-level. As pointed out though, there are plenty of great unis like bristol that you meet the requirements for :smile:.

Doesn't say Physics is essential for vocational qualifications particularly BTEC Engineering as listed. I'd say the following section translates as D*D*D*(Highest grade in Engineering BTEC)+ A*(Highest grade in A level Maths)

"Vocational Qualifications

All Colleges, except Trinity College, welcome applications from students taking A Level Mathematics and a suitable vocational qualification, e.g. a BTEC Higher National Diploma, in an engineering discipline. Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification."
Reply 13
Original post by yt7777
Ahh fair enough, also I was just checking and I cant actually see anywhere on the imperial website to say they dont allow BTEC, so might be worth emailing?

Ahh fair enough, is the BEng 100% not an option then?

Umm I'm not sure, I imagine they're about similar so I'd go with what course looks better in terms of modules and think more about location/student life too as they're both about the same in quality (however Bristol is a RG and Bath isnt - if thats important to you?). I think Bath has really high student satisfaction and I believe one of the 'safest' campuses in the country and Bristol is a really nice city too.

I also couldn't find anywhere on the Imperial site which stated they don't accept BTEC. I've seen many people on this forum say they don't though ... to be safe i'll send them an e-mail just to check. Nothing to lose!

And ye, I have my heart set on doing the MEng :frown:

Embarrassingly I'd never heard of "RG" before today and had to do a quick google search. I must say Russel Group does make Bristol sound very fancy >_< so i think I'm now leaning more towards Bristol.

One thing i noticed on Bristol's site is that they offer a MEng Aerospace course with study abroad which is very appealing. I will need to do some more research before i make up my mind though.

Btw thankyou so much for all your help so far, your advice has been invaluable to me :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kambu
Hi everyone,

Shoot, this thread is old, i was gonna say Oxford and Cambridge accept BTEC's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending