The Student Room Group

WJEC - English remark

My son took his English exam in May and received a 4 (2 points away from a 5). I was advised he couldn't see a copy of the exam as then it couldn't be remarked so I decided to get it remarked (thinking 2 away from a 5 has no risk) well I was wrong them marked it down 11.5 so it went 1 under a 3. How could that be? We have seen the paper and have appealed as the remark was very harsh. We await the decision in that appeal. My son was very unhappy as he didn't want the remark, I did. I requested the remark as I really thought it could go 2 or 3 points up or down but not 11. My question is if the appeal does not change the outcome can I dispute the procedure with Ofcal? Will they support me as if the remark gets changed that drastically then surely the remarker should be challenged? English is always open to opinion we know. If the first person marked it wrong then surely the remarker is also human and can be challenged?
Original post by Michelle Wilson
My son took his English exam in May and received a 4 (2 points away from a 5). I was advised he couldn't see a copy of the exam as then it couldn't be remarked so I decided to get it remarked (thinking 2 away from a 5 has no risk) well I was wrong them marked it down 11.5 so it went 1 under a 3. How could that be? We have seen the paper and have appealed as the remark was very harsh. We await the decision in that appeal. My son was very unhappy as he didn't want the remark, I did. I requested the remark as I really thought it could go 2 or 3 points up or down but not 11. My question is if the appeal does not change the outcome can I dispute the procedure with Ofcal? Will they support me as if the remark gets changed that drastically then surely the remarker should be challenged? English is always open to opinion we know. If the first person marked it wrong then surely the remarker is also human and can be challenged?

They do tell you marks an go down as well as up. Granted its unusual for it to go down by so much. the difference between an 4 and a 5 is negligible.

Hopefully your appeal was well drafted and paid attention to the criteria set out by the appeal procedure. They tend to be very specific. Its not a chance at another remark. Hopefully you had an exmainer to advise you on marking proedures.

You can try and chase it up but it depends on what the rules are and what their reasoning was for the downgrade. they may be correct and the procedure may have been correctly followed.

They can only change the mark if they know there has been a genuine error and not just a difference of opinion. your appeal should have been based on something they did wrong. The remarker is often an experienced senior examiner.

Try by all means, but if it were me, then I would just do the resit. You need to avoid stressing your son out.

ps I am not sure a further appeal exists, so you would have to look into it. You would have to identify some major error in procedure or application of the mark scheme..

Talk to the people in charge.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/exam-officers/post-results-service/
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
They do tell you marks an go down as well as up. Granted its unusual for it to go down by so much. the difference between an 4 and a 5 is negligible.

Hopefully your appeal was well drafted and paid attention to the criteria set out by the appeal procedure. They tend to be very specific. Its not a chance at another remark. Hopefully you had an exmainer to advise you on marking proedures.

You can try and chase it up but it depends on what the rules are and what their reasoning was for the downgrade. they may be correct and the procedure may have been correctly followed.

They can only change the mark if they know there has been a genuine error and not just a difference of opinion. your appeal should have been based on something they did wrong. The remarker is often an experienced senior examiner.

Try by all means, but if it were me, then I would just do the resit. You need to avoid stressing your son out.

ps I am not sure a further appeal exists, so you would have to look into it. You would have to identify some major error in procedure or application of the mark scheme..

Talk to the people in charge.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/exam-officers/post-results-service/

Yes your right, I think the school were disputing the opinion and the marking procedure so hopefully it will be ok. His new school is under AQA (a slightly more straight forward board I'm told). He didn't sign for the remark of his paper, it was me so he is super upset, he really didn't want a resit.

He has no idea I'm appealing as I wanted him to focus on the resit, its just its taking up his time when he has 'A' levels to focus on.

Thanks for your post, appreciate it.

Michelle
Original post by Mpash69
Yes your right, I think the school were disputing the opinion and the marking procedure so hopefully it will be ok. His new school is under AQA (a slightly more straight forward board I'm told). He didn't sign for the remark of his paper, it was me so he is super upset, he really didn't want a resit.

He has no idea I'm appealing as I wanted him to focus on the resit, its just its taking up his time when he has 'A' levels to focus on.

Thanks for your post, appreciate it.

Michelle

Cant comment on the grounds, hope your school understands the appeals procedure.

Hope you apologised to your son and am surprised they accepted it on your signature alone. I would use that as a major grounds for appeal. Should have been his choice with supporting advice. Even if its with the best of intentions it is still his choice to make.
Reply 4
Cant comment on the grounds, hope your school understands the appeals procedure.

Hope you apologised to your son and am surprised they accepted it on your signature alone. I would use that as a major grounds for appeal. Should have been his choice with supporting advice. Even if its with the best of intentions it is still his choice to make.

I haven't stopped apologising, I asked the school if we could use that as grounds for appeal but they would not entertain that option.

I hate to be forceful as I still have a child there.
Original post by Mpash69
I haven't stopped apologising, I asked the school if we could use that as grounds for appeal but they would not entertain that option.

I hate to be forceful as I still have a child there.

Did you sign with your name or his? Incandescent is the word, but funny at the same time.

If youd have asked on here before I think id have just said the difference between a 4 and a 5 is hardly anything (its still a ), but its much less likely to drop a grade than go up. If they do remark it then id say it was a good chance. One mark below sounds a bit contrived.

Gives him a chance to get a 6+ now though. At least the resit is quick.

WJEC used to have an illegal guarantee that grades could never go down, which they were forced to change.
Reply 6
Did you sign with your name or his? Incandescent is the word, but funny at the same time.

If youd have asked on here before I think id have just said the difference between a 4 and a 5 is hardly anything (its still a ), but its much less likely to drop a grade than go up. If they do remark it then id say it was a good chance. One mark below sounds a bit contrived.

Gives him a chance to get a 6+ now though. At least the resit is quick.

WJEC used to have an illegal guarantee that grades could never go down, which they were forced to change.

I signed the remark paperwork his signature was left blank. He needed a 5 for his new school so that's why I tried the remark. In the end they accepted him anyway....all a bit mad really.

Quick Reply

Latest