The Student Room Group

I hate group work at uni

I had a presentation and then the guy told me last minute to add changes to the presentation but I had back to back tutorials and didn’t have time ans then on top of that half an hour before the presentation he said can you say this and can you say that .. and then the presentation happened and I was late because I just came from a lecture and then they just looked at me like ok.. but it wasn’t my fault ... and then because I was out of breathe rushing to the group presentation I was stuttering so bad when presenting the first bit and then I couldn’t hack it and I got really nervous and then it was my turn to present my part and I kept it short which I don’t think they liked ... but what could I of done and now they slyly hate me ..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by melanies321
I had a presentation and then the guy told me last minute to add changes to the presentation but I had back to back tutorials and didn’t have time ans then on top of that half an hour before the presentation he said can you say this and can you say that .. and then the presentation happened and I was late because I just came from a lecture and then they just looked at me like ok.. but it wasn’t my fault ... and then because I was out of breathe rushing to the group presentation I was stuttering so bad when presenting the first bit and then I couldn’t hack it and I got really nervous and then it was my turn to present my part and I kept it short which I don’t think they liked ... but what could I of done and now they slyly hate me ..

You think way too much and I wouldnt worry.

You need to plan better. When the group decided the work get something that requires you to do your part and relies less on other people.

Get organised an be ready to go 24 hours before the actual presentation. You should have at least one practice.

Practice and prep would have reduced the chance for all those events.

Move on and do better next time.
Yeah group work is **** tbh . But pay it no mind
Original post by 999tigger
You think way too much and I wouldnt worry.

You need to plan better. When the group decided the work get something that requires you to do your part and relies less on other people.

Get organised an be ready to go 24 hours before the actual presentation. You should have at least one practice.

Practice and prep would have reduced the chance for all those events.

Move on and do better next time.

Yeah true - the people told me to do stuff last minute which was annoying .

Yeah we didn’t practice which was how it went wrong aswell - but thank you for responding I appreciate it
Original post by Cravez
Yeah group work is **** tbh . But pay it no mind

TRue I’m not going to know these people after anyway *thank god*
Yeah true - the people told me to do stuff last minute which was annoying .

Yeah we didn’t practice which was how it went wrong as well - but thank you for responding I appreciate it

My most important objectives when ding group work is o make sure I get what I want. Normally that is coupled with making sure its a success and I prefer that to be for everyone.

The bottom line is I make sure I do my part. Part of what happened is your responsibility and part of the group. You will just have to learn from it and move on.

All the things that happened were avoidable. I quite like group work if your group is ok, but its just something you need to do. Its easier if everyone pulls their weight.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
I used to hate group work, I always used to get put with people who'd be OTT about it or ones who didn't pull their weight. My post grad course was a little better though. Thing is I used to worry a lot about presentations/ group work but the 3 years go over so quick it's really not worth fretting over, try to enjoy it even if you don't and it'll help :smile:
Holy ****, you need to calm down. Just reading that is exhausting.
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Holy ****, you need to calm down. Just reading that is exhausting.

Okay....
God, I absolutely despise all group projects. Right now I'm stuck with a group of dudes that my professor paired me with. I'm typically a pretty patient person but my god. They're idiots! Completely and utterly immature and just unintelligent. I'm doing all the work here, but what pisses me off most is their smart ass comments. Grow up! Ugh. Group projects are going to be the death of me.
Original post by Renee_smh
God, I absolutely despise all group projects. Right now I'm stuck with a group of dudes that my professor paired me with. I'm typically a pretty patient person but my god. They're idiots! Completely and utterly immature and just unintelligent. I'm doing all the work here, but what pisses me off most is their smart ass comments. Grow up! Ugh. Group projects are going to be the death of me.

Exactly that’s what I feel like , so annoying and then they have their own conversations separately and not mentioning anything in the group - on top of that giving their dumb comments and thinking my opinion is not valid when it’s better than theirs. Ughhhhh . Then they tell you an hour / half an hour before the actual presentation to mention something and talk about another topic .. expect me to mess up . I FEEL YOU.
Reply 11
Like I said previously, the time goes really quick. You won't be in that group for ever so just try your best. Sometimes being in a group with loads of d***s can bring out qualities you didn't know you had
Original post by Flx1
Like I said previously, the time goes really quick. You won't be in that group for ever so just try your best. Sometimes being in a group with loads of d***s can bring out qualities you didn't know you had

Yeah true it’s only for this semester up till week 8 so I guess I can manage them for a few more week! Thank you though I like your mindset !
I've literally had days like that. But I never like failed or anything. Just felt temporary shame lol. But the reason I hate groups is because of unreliable BACK STABBERS who ruin the entire thing.
Group work generally sucks for everyone. Occasionally you can get a great group who work well together and it's fantastic but more often than not there are personality clashes and always someone who can't be bothered to do anything. Could be worse than your experience... I once had to report two members of a group project for serious academic misconduct and then keep working with them :/ (and before anyone gives me crap, if I hadn't said anything it would have been picked up and the whole group could have been held responsible - not sacrificing my grades cos someone else cba do the work properly).
Original post by doodle_333
Group work generally sucks for everyone. Occasionally you can get a great group who work well together and it's fantastic but more often than not there are personality clashes and always someone who can't be bothered to do anything. Could be worse than your experience... I once had to report two members of a group project for serious academic misconduct and then keep working with them :/ (and before anyone gives me crap, if I hadn't said anything it would have been picked up and the whole group could have been held responsible - not sacrificing my grades cos someone else cba do the work properly).

What was the academic misconduct?
Original post by Salt Queen
I've literally had days like that. But I never like failed or anything. Just felt temporary shame lol. But the reason I hate groups is because of unreliable BACK STABBERS who ruin the entire thing.

YEs the one I’m talking about is just a mock and although you need to take it serious too ... people make mistakes and will learn from it but my group are just being rude behind my back having their own conversations with every team member but me . Back stabbers!! I know what you mean
YEs the one I’m talking about is just a mock and although you need to take it serious too ... people make mistakes and will learn from it but my group are just being rude behind my back having their own conversations with every team member but me . Back stabbers!! I know what you mean

What I did was notify the lecturer every time there was an issue. And I also put my foot down with the groups. I don't care if they're buddy buddy all I care about is making it clear to them that if they decide to meet up to discuss the group that I need to be notified.

I also harass the "group leader" ugh. Like every time I see them I ask for updates and idc if they're annoyed 😌 And if we never met up I tell them my PowerPoint slides need to be inserted anyway. There was one time where my slides couldn't be put in and I already know why but my group mates got told off live during our presentation for leaving me out 😂😂😂 and the lecturer accepted a later email submission of all our slides so ha ha :h:

There was also a time I was late; I told them they better wait. they did. 😄

You might be a nicer person than how I would speak to my group though lol. It's your grade at the end of the day so none of their pettiness should get in your way 😤.
What was the academic misconduct?

They altered data we had collected.
Me 2 fam

Me 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending