The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chchloe
They have cctv at all the stations and they told me that they will check the cctv first. They have already checked that and then released the letter. As I didn’t actually board the train from the station that I claimed to have come from I obviously wouldn’t appear on cctv and that is their proof

So the argument to that is that you already had a ticket for the first part of your journey and you only needed to get one for the latter part when you arrived at your destination station.
Reply 21
Original post by utr
So the argument to that is that you already had a ticket for the first part of your journey and you only needed to get one for the latter part when you arrived at your destination station.

How will I prove that I already had a ticket for the first part? I repeatedly told them that I boarded the train from the closer station when I actually didn’t :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by chchloe
How will I prove that I already had a ticket for the first part? I repeatedly told them that I boarded the train from the closer station when I actually didn’t :frown:

Its not up to you to prove you did, its up to them to prove you didn't.

Regarding what you said, that doesn't matter unless they were recording you and as long as they weren't wearing body cameras (they wouldn't of been) its your word against theirs.
Reply 23
Original post by utr
Its not up to you to prove you did, its up to them to prove you didn't.

Regarding what you said, that doesn't matter unless they were recording you and as long as they weren't wearing body cameras (they wouldn't of been) its your word against theirs.

I think they were recording me as all staff wear body cameras at that station. And they could easily prove that I didn’t board the train from the station I claimed to as its not a station that’s usually busy. I really don’t want it to go that far anyway I really just want to settle this by paying a fine but I don’t know if I have the option to 😭
Reply 24
Original post by chchloe
I think they were recording me as all staff wear body cameras at that station. And they could easily prove that I didn’t board the train from the station I claimed to as its not a station that’s usually busy. I really don’t want it to go that far anyway I really just want to settle this by paying a fine but I don’t know if I have the option to 😭

Was it BTP or train staff?
Reply 25
Original post by utr
Was it BTP or train staff?

It was the train staff, the police care over and they were really nice to me however I was too scared to tell them the truth. I wish I just told them at that point and maybe it wouldn’t get this far
Original post by chchloe
Please please please somebody help me with this. I am panicking so much. I was actually involved in a railway incident yesterday. I boarded the train from my normal station to my destination. Now normally I buy the tickets when I board the train. However yesterday there were no ticket inspectors on the train. I then realised that I had actually left my purse at home so I had no money and no card to purchase my train ticket. This had never happened to me before, and in a state of shock and panic I didn’t know what to do. As this was the first time I was without any money I was afraid that I’d be fined for not buying a ticket. I’m really not in a good financial situation at the moment and couldn’t risk being fined so stupidly I decided to purchase a ticket from a different station closer to my destination as it was cheaper and I had just about enough change in my pocket to pay for that ticket. However the guards at the station caught me out - I ended up purchasing that ticket and instead of telling them the truth, I panicked and was adamant that I didn’t lie and in fact I did board the train from the station I bought the ticket for. The guard took down my details and told me this could be potential fraud and that I should expect a letter soon. I got a letter today stating that the matter has been provisionally authorised for prosecution!!!I am really really scared and I really don’t know what to do. I’ve had several panic attacks so far and I really don’t want to be prosecuted. I am willing to pay any amount in a fine however there was no mention of a fine on the ticket, it was just prosecutions. Please help me out here, what should I expect from this situation??The train company was northern rail

This is a chance to explain yourself. Use it. They will know that you did not get on at that station so explain why and show that it was an honest mistake.
Explain why you didn't have a ticket to start with, why you got the other one and why you lied about it.
You made a mistake and tried to do the right thing, but got scared and dug yourself a hole. Explain that.

Prosecution just means legal proceedings against somebody who is thought to have done something wrong. Doesn't mean prison or a criminal record.
It's like the adult equivalent of "telling off". It could lead to being grounded or having pocket money taken away, but it could also lead to the realisation it was an accident or that the dog did it.
It's just a fancy legal word- don't worry.

If you google things like "what is a prosecution letter" "prosecution letter from railway" etc you'll find more info and advice.

Hope that helps and good luck :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by chchloe
It was the train staff, the police care over and they were really nice to me however I was too scared to tell them the truth. I wish I just told them at that point and maybe it wouldn’t get this far

Its done now, so you either need to ride it out or come clean.
Reply 28
Original post by Kindred
This is a chance to explain yourself. Use it. They will know that you did not get on at that station so explain why and show that it was an honest mistake.
Explain why you didn't have a ticket to start with, why you got the other one and why you lied about it.
You made a mistake and tried to do the right thing, but got scared and dug yourself a hole. Explain that.

Prosecution just means legal proceedings against somebody who is thought to have done something wrong. Doesn't mean prison or a criminal record.
It's like the adult equivalent of "telling off". It could lead to being grounded or having pocket money taken away, but it could also lead to the realisation it was an accident or that the dog did it.
It's just a fancy legal word- don't worry.

If you google things like "what is a prosecution letter" "prosecution letter from railway" etc you'll find more info and advice.

Hope that helps and good luck :smile:

Thank you so much. I’ve read a lot of posts about people that have been in similar situations however most of them admitted their mistake to the staff whereas I did the opposite and was adamant that I wasn’t lying. This is why I feel this is a lot more serious
Original post by chchloe
Thank you so much. I’ve read a lot of posts about people that have been in similar situations however most of them admitted their mistake to the staff whereas I did the opposite and was adamant that I wasn’t lying. This is why I feel this is a lot more serious

I expect it will have been escalated because they could not check CCTV on site and without you admitting to it or any evidence there was nothing they could do there and then. Only way for them do deal with it now is with a formal letter. Doesn't necessarily mean it's more serious, just that it's been delayed into another process.
Original post by chchloe
Please please please somebody help me with this. I am panicking so much. I was actually involved in a railway incident yesterday. I boarded the train from my normal station to my destination. Now normally I buy the tickets when I board the train. However yesterday there were no ticket inspectors on the train. I then realised that I had actually left my purse at home so I had no money and no card to purchase my train ticket. This had never happened to me before, and in a state of shock and panic I didn’t know what to do. As this was the first time I was without any money I was afraid that I’d be fined for not buying a ticket. I’m really not in a good financial situation at the moment and couldn’t risk being fined so stupidly I decided to purchase a ticket from a different station closer to my destination as it was cheaper and I had just about enough change in my pocket to pay for that ticket. However the guards at the station caught me out - I ended up purchasing that ticket and instead of telling them the truth, I panicked and was adamant that I didn’t lie and in fact I did board the train from the station I bought the ticket for. The guard took down my details and told me this could be potential fraud and that I should expect a letter soon. I got a letter today stating that the matter has been provisionally authorised for prosecution!!!I am really really scared and I really don’t know what to do. I’ve had several panic attacks so far and I really don’t want to be prosecuted. I am willing to pay any amount in a fine however there was no mention of a fine on the ticket, it was just prosecutions. Please help me out here, what should I expect from this situation??The train company was northern rail

Learn what paragraphs are.
Just write exactly what happened, apologise, and say you've learnt from the experience. They're going to be too busy chasing after real criminals to really want to prosecute you. It seems massive to you, very naturally, but it won't to the police, and certainly not to Northern Rail!
All trains and stations have cctv.

My best advice is to come clean, explain it from your point of view and wait to see how northern rail play it out. My dad actually drives for them and I know there are a group of conductors / ticket inspectors who are very hostile about the whole thing, whereas others would have let you off with a slap on the wrist.
Reply 33
Original post by Kindred
I expect it will have been escalated because they could not check CCTV on site and without you admitting to it or any evidence there was nothing they could do there and then. Only way for them do deal with it now is with a formal letter. Doesn't necessarily mean it's more serious, just that it's been delayed into another process.

The letter is from the revenue protection, does that make it more serious???
Reply 34
Original post by Tommy1boy
All trains and stations have cctv.

My best advice is to come clean, explain it from your point of view and wait to see how northern rail play it out. My dad actually drives for them and I know there are a group of conductors / ticket inspectors who are very hostile about the whole thing, whereas others would have let you off with a slap on the wrist.

Maybe if I told them the truth they might have let me off but due to the fact that I was lying and not admitting it it’s worsened the situation a lot more! Would your dad have more information?
Reply 35
I have been advised to just come clean and apologise and request them to settle it before it becomes a criminal matter however I feel that it has already become a criminal matter and they potentially could prosecute me for fraud
Original post by chchloe
The letter is from the revenue protection, does that make it more serious???

It will just be where all of them get sent from. They have to treat every case formally and officially even if it's not a big deal.
Original post by chchloe
Maybe if I told them the truth they might have let me off but due to the fact that I was lying and not admitting it it’s worsened the situation a lot more! Would your dad have more information?

Depends what station.

If you come clean, I suspect you will just get a fine and no criminal record. If you dont, there will be trouble

Latest