The Student Room Group

Starting Gym

Hi, I'm new to this forum so still getting to know it.
I am looking to join a gym around the Cardiff area. I'm looking at the likes of easyGym or PureGym for example.
I come accross as being rather shy and would like a gym buddy to visit the gym with.
Is anyone available around the Cardiff area who is actively looking for a gym buddy or is looking to start going to the gym?
Original post by Jarred_Evans97
I am looking to join a gym around the Cardiff area. I'm looking at the likes of easyGym or PureGym for example.
I come accross as being rather shy and would like a gym buddy to visit the gym with.
Is anyone available around the Cardiff area who is actively looking for a gym buddy or is looking to start going to the gym?

the earlier you start gym the quicker you'll have more confidence-stick to the machines if you're shy. u don't need no partner
GETTOTHEGYM:angry:
Original post by angrypoliceman
the earlier you start gym the quicker you'll have more confidence-stick to the machines if you're shy. u don't need no partner
GETTOTHEGYM:angry:

Haha you are right! I do have the confidence but suffer from social anxiety alot, but yeah i am starting to push myself to buy a membership.
Haha you are right! I do have the confidence but suffer from social anxiety alot, but yeah i am starting to push myself to buy a membership.

the guys at the gym are usually quite nice anyways-they understand ur journey, chances are you wont feel any intimidation going on

Stop worrying mayne. Most people at the gym are in a similar position to you and they don’t care about the people around them. They put their headphones in and work out. After all, if you’re going to the gym that means you’re doing something to look after your body, right?

I’ve been going to the gym even though I’m shy and I’ve realised that most people are really friendly. Most just get on with their own business. I’ve even had a couple come up to me and be my gym buddy for a session and help motivate me and give me tips.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
Stop worrying mayne. Most people at the gym are in a similar position to you and they don’t care about the people around them. They put their headphones in and work out. After all, if you’re going to the gym that means you’re doing something to look after your body, right?

I’ve been going to the gym even though I’m shy and I’ve realised that most people are really friendly. Most just get on with their own business. I’ve even had a couple come up to me and be my gym buddy for a session and help motivate me and give me tips.

Ha thank you mate, great help and advice :smile:
Ha thank you mate, great help and advice :smile:

No problem.

Take in a pair of headphones and put them in and just switch off from everything around you. Just focus on your training :smile:
I am looking at different gym memberships and would like your thoughts. The nearest gym to me is DW Fitness, they want £32 a month? Like that's alot in my opinion. I've then been looking at PureGym, where I can get a good deal for a gym for £17.99, with unidays. The issue is, the nearest PureGym to me is right in the centre of Cardiff, which is around 25 miles from where I live, and they offer no parking faciliites, theres always the train but... what are your thoughts on this? What do you think is best?
Yeah, I been looking at TheGym as well, and that is slightly more appealing to me because it offers parking facilities compared to PureGym in my area that does not.
Hey, I would like some advice. As I started the topic, I said that I would like to start going to a gym with a gym buddy. But... I would go alone but I have a diagnoses oautism, which makes communicating and social situations twice as hard for me.
I am tempted to buy a TheGym membership for £16.99 however it is like a 25 mile drive to and from the gym to where I live. Gyms in my area really don't offer a contract free membership, I dont want to feel like its a commitment.
Do you guys have any tips or advice or what even to expect on your first visit? I think once knowing what to expect and once visiting once, I think that would cure my anxiety about it.
Many thanks :smile:)
Hey, I would like some advice. As I started the topic, I said that I would like to start going to a gym with a gym buddy. But... I would go alone but I have a diagnoses oautism, which makes communicating and social situations twice as hard for me.
I am tempted to buy a TheGym membership for £16.99 however it is like a 25 mile drive to and from the gym to where I live. Gyms in my area really don't offer a contract free membership, I dont want to feel like its a commitment.
Do you guys have any tips or advice or what even to expect on your first visit? I think once knowing what to expect and once visiting once, I think that would cure my anxiety about it.
Many thanks :smile:)

You'll always have an induction when you join a gym. Nothing to be anxious about there, literally just someone showing you around the gym, you don't have to do anything. Then you just turn up when you like and get on with your workout, nobody will try and talk to you or anything, everyone there is just focused on their workout.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
You'll always have an induction when you join a gym. Nothing to be anxious about there, literally just someone showing you around the gym, you don't have to do anything. Then you just turn up when you like and get on with your workout, nobody will try and talk to you or anything, everyone there is just focused on their workout.

Yeah I know, I've seen online that they offer inductions which is good. At the moment, I generally only want to do cardio at the gym, as a starting point. Just need to pluck up the courage to buy the membership haha ;:wink:)
Yeah I know, I've seen online that they offer inductions which is good. At the moment, I generally only want to do cardio at the gym, as a starting point. Just need to pluck up the courage to buy the membership haha ;:wink:)

Well unless you go at peak hours (typically after work hours) then chain gyms have a lot of cardio equipment so you shouldn't have a problem getting on any.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Well unless you go at peak hours (typically after work hours) then chain gyms have a lot of cardio equipment so you shouldn't have a problem getting on any.

Yeah, the gym that I'm looking at is open 24hours as well, so having use of cardio should not be an issue
People generally don't care massively about others at the gym. Some are friends and some have a brief conversation, but actually all they care about is getting their workout done. Stick to machines until you start to feel more confident, but no one judges as everyone has to start somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest