The Student Room Group

Tesco Interview - Saturday 21st Oct 2017

Hi there i have read through a few threads and sorry if this is being repetitive. I have an interview at Tesco extra on sat 21st and it is the first interview/job I have had for a few years (been claiming sickness benefits) but I am super nervous, and don't have a clue what I am going to say to all these standardized questions, can someone help with a spot of advice for going back to work and first interviews? I've got a nice suit to wear so that's a start :biggrin: !!

Thanks all,

John.
Reply 1
If you look at all the questions on glassdoor it pretty much says all the questions there and really helped me a lot. Your examples doesn't have to be in retail.

Not sure how many people will be there. Just smile, be engaging (as they'll have a tower building excercise), friendly and... basically just be yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Mokona
If you look at all the questions on glassdoor it pretty much says all the questions there and really helped me a lot. Your examples doesn't have to be in retail.

Not sure how many people will be there. Just smile, be engaging (as they'll have a tower building excercise), friendly and... basically just be yourself.

Ok sounds ok!! Ive been looking at glassdoor all day so hopefully some of it will sink in :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by Mokona

I didn't know this site existed, sounds awesome!
Just be yourself! The best thing to do is just show your personality as Tesco love that. They're also very customer orientated so try to include that in your answer if you can! Just try to stand out because it's a group interview, don't just sit there quietly and answer last!! Hope you get the job!!
Reply 5
Original post by leanneeyre
Just be yourself! The best thing to do is just show your personality as Tesco love that. They're also very customer orientated so try to include that in your answer if you can! Just try to stand out because it's a group interview, don't just sit there quietly and answer last!! Hope you get the job!!

Ok ill keep that in mind, i usually am one of the slightly quieter ones but will just swallow my nerves and answer as quick as possible to beat the others :biggrin: !!

God i'm 30years old and worrying about something like this...
Original post by eastlad2017
Ok ill keep that in mind, i usually am one of the slightly quieter ones but will just swallow my nerves and answer as quick as possible to beat the others :biggrin: !!

God i'm 30years old and worrying about something like this...

I had my interview 2 weeks ago and I started yesterday so whatever I did got me the job! It's natural to be nervous, everyone is. Chat with the other interviewees that will help rest your nerves if you know them a bit better!
Reply 7
I had my interview 2 weeks ago and I started yesterday so whatever I did got me the job! It's natural to be nervous, everyone is. Chat with the other interviewees that will help rest your nerves if you know them a bit better!

Ok yea, im sure it will be ok i did a mock run of the hourney earlier half hour walk / 10 mins bus so im pretty much prepared, going to revise glassdoor questions again and ill let you know how it goes saturday!

Is it possible you could tell us what the structure of your group interview day was like? Thanks :smile:
Ok yea, im sure it will be ok i did a mock run of the hourney earlier half hour walk / 10 mins bus so im pretty much prepared, going to revise glassdoor questions again and ill let you know how it goes saturday!

I'm sure you'll be fine and ace it!
Original post by Ze Witcher
Is it possible you could tell us what the structure of your group interview day was like? Thanks :smile:

Yeah sure! It was quite chilled out. We filled out a form to start with then everyone sat in a room and we said our names and a little bit about yourself (what you study or do currently etc.) we were then split into 2 groups of 5. One group had the interview and one group had one to ones regarding availability, your right to work etc. Then the two groups swap over. We had 3 interview questions. One was "tell me about a time where you had to alter your behaviour to suit a situation" and "tell me about a time where you received good and bad customer service and how you felt." I can't remember the third question though! Then for the last 20 minutes or so we went out onto the shop floor and just tided the shelves up. It was fairly easy and not too complicated. Hope that helps :smile:
Yeah sure! It was quite chilled out. We filled out a form to start with then everyone sat in a room and we said our names and a little bit about yourself (what you study or do currently etc.) we were then split into 2 groups of 5. One group had the interview and one group had one to ones regarding availability, your right to work etc. Then the two groups swap over. We had 3 interview questions. One was "tell me about a time where you had to alter your behaviour to suit a situation" and "tell me about a time where you received good and bad customer service and how you felt." I can't remember the third question though! Then for the last 20 minutes or so we went out onto the shop floor and just tided the shelves up. It was fairly easy and not too complicated. Hope that helps :smile:

Much appreciated, seriously!

I've had interviews, but never group ones - so is it an issue if you go last to speak even though you seem confident and know your way around customers well? (I'm thinking worst case scenario just in case I have too many try-hards in my group. )
Thank you all for the advice and keep your fingers crossed for me :biggrin: Laterz!
Original post by Ze Witcher
Much appreciated, seriously!

I've had interviews, but never group ones - so is it an issue if you go last to speak even though you seem confident and know your way around customers well? (I'm thinking worst case scenario just in case I have too many try-hards in my group. )

If you're sat in a line, for one question they will go one way down and then one the next question go the other way so the person that went last last time goes first. However, on my interview the manager just told us the question and we had to jump in and answer whenever we had an answer. I'm that scenario it's good to jump in first once, but don't answer first every time you need to show the ability of patience and that you listen.
Reply 14
It's not too bad of an interview. Honestly I had a bunch of Tesco interviews. They're really friendly and they understand that being in a interview is really nerve wreking. I kinda forgot the staff watching us during the tower building. (Even though I was in the corner mostly holding the thing up from the base, waiting for the tape!)

Here's hoping you'll get it!
Reply 15
Hi there i have read through a few threads and sorry if this is being repetitive. I have an interview at Tesco extra on sat 21st and it is the first interview/job I have had for a few years (been claiming sickness benefits) but I am super nervous, and don't have a clue what I am going to say to all these standardized questions, can someone help with a spot of advice for going back to work and first interviews? I've got a nice suit to wear so that's a start :biggrin: !!

Thanks all,

John.

Good luck, be yourself and smile :smile:
Best of luck! I managed to steal a job at Tesco just a few months ago, as long as you get to know the people and settle in then it's fine - otherwise you'll find it long and boring. I haven't really got to know anyone so far and I work my entire weekend so I'm hating it atm.
Reply 17
try to answer the questions first, group interviews you are only asked 2 which is good. examples from anything in your life not just work related stuff which helps. be friendly and engaging, usually everyone is a bit nervous and quiet at first but people tend to relax once things get started. tesco also like to to be flexible with your work hours- they told us that it is often the people with the best availability that get the jobs, so try to put down as many hours you can realistically do but bare in mind that if you get the job you may be asked to work in these hours so if you really cannot do nights or 6am starts don't put that down. also with the sop floor exercise, if there are customers around you try to engage with them, for mine it was a little tricky to do so as i didn't actually see any customers where we were working! also if the managers are around when doing the shop floor exercise ask them questions tell about your interests, just make conversation and appear helpful and friendly
How was the interview bro? I know i'm a bit late but hey, it's better to know then never xD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending