The Student Room Group

Train fine - help needed

Hi guys,

genuine advice needed.

I was stopped at a tube station without a valid ticket (Oyster was not recognized while touching it but still had credit on it). Ticket inspectors wouldn't listen to anything and decided to fine.

I gave them a fake name and fake address (both made up and non existent) as I am from abroad.
Obviously I am not proud of that and i am full aware that it was wrong.

Has anybody ever done that?

Cheers!
Original post by username3587592
Hi guys,

genuine advice needed.

I was stopped at a tube station without a valid ticket (Oyster was not recognized while touching it but still had credit on it). Ticket inspectors wouldn't listen to anything and decided to fine.

I gave them a fake name and fake address (both made up and non existent) as I am from abroad.

Cheers!

If you knew it was wrong, why did you give fake details?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi guys,

genuine advice needed.

Cheers!

Underground staff have a dedicated phone line for checking your card out - did they check it?

You should not have given false information.
There is no need to troll anybody here!
People are asking questions - hoping for genuine answers - whether they do things rightly or wrongly - have some respect people!
Reply 4
Original post by username3587948
People are asking questions - hoping for genuine answers - whether they do things rightly or wrongly - have some respect people!

To be fair, what @uberteknik said is correct, albeit he did go a bit far.
Original post by IWMTom
To be fair, what @uberteknik said is correct, albeit he did go a bit far.

Original post by username3587948

Respect is earned.

OP: The only way you can clear your conscience is to fess up and face the music.

Your alternative is to do nothing and hope you do not get traced, or recognised by the same inspectors, or the next time you use your Oyster card, it does not flag up as defaulted by the IT systems and you get prevented from going through the gate, forcing you to go via the manned barriers where it may be checked in more detail.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi guys,

genuine advice needed.

Cheers!

Think you're in the clear, how much was the fine?
Fine was only 40£, which I did try to pay by giving them my debit card (foreign as I don't have the UK one) but it wouldn't go through. Given that it's all on my conscience now - I would have paid double that for the peace of mind!
Original post by uberteknik
If you knew it was wrong, why did you give fake details?

Trust me - if i know how I would feel after that - I would have never done it! I totally know if was wrong and unacceptable - but can't really turn back time...

Only question was whether somebody was ever in a similar situation...
Hi guys,

genuine advice needed.

Cheers!

Quite a stupid thing to do. Hopefully it was a penalty fare, you should have paid and then appealed the charge, if you thought that it was unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest