The Student Room Group

I am terrified for my IGCSEs and I'm only in year 9

I'm only in year 9, I haven't even chosen my options yet, and I am already so nervous for my iGCSEs. I am actually losing sleep over something that are nowhere near. Is this normal? Is anyone reading this who has already done iGCSEs and can offer some support? I am so scared about failure.. and I really want to do really really well just to show that I am good at something. Also, we do edexcel for all our exams. If anyone can tell me the hard cold truth I would really appreciate it, please comment on here or PM me please x :smile:
Don't worry IGCSE's are pretty easy. Just have fun in Year 9 and 10 while you can.

Edexcel is a "hard" exam board but their exams in my point of view generally interesting but that's for Year 11.
Original post by MollyBarber13
I'm only in year 9, I haven't even chosen my options yet, and I am already so nervous for my iGCSEs. I am actually losing sleep over something that are nowhere near. Is this normal? Is anyone reading this who has already done iGCSEs and can offer some support? I am so scared about failure.. and I really want to do really really well just to show that I am good at something. Also, we do edexcel for all our exams. If anyone can tell me the hard cold truth I would really appreciate it, please comment on here or PM me please x :smile:

Don’t worry about your iGCSE’s just yet, I’d start worrying mid way through year 11.
They aren’t that bad if you put the effort in, start revising well in advance, and take detailed notes during class.
I did edexcel for mine, and most of the class found that if you literally memorise the text books for science and maths then you should be fine, other subjects like English and history are a little different in that you have to know how to structure essays and write model answers, but again don’t worry because your teachers will go through everything you will need for your exams.
Good luck :smile:
Literally there is almost no reason to concern yourself with GCSE exams, since outside of Oxbridge and medicine courses they aren't even considered. Even in those realms, the level of which they are weighted varies enormously (Cambridge on the whole cares very little about GCSE performance for example).

It doesn't matter what subjects you take, unless your school requires a specific subject at GCSE to continue to A-level (or equivalent). The only ones that you "need" to do well in are Maths and English - you should aim to pass these with a C as that's the minimum numeracy/literacy metric the UK government uses.

Of course if you're applying outside the UK this may vary but for e.g. most EU and US/Canadian universities it's entirely irrelevant anyway.

You are stressing over the thing which realistically matters the least, in the long run.
There is honestly no need to be worrying at this stage :smile: Just take each day as it comes and I can guarantee that if you put the effort in, you will get good grades and think to yourself 'hey, that wasn't that bad!'. When ever I look back on when I was studying from my GCSE's I always wish that I could've told myself to stop panicking and losing sleep, because at the end of the day if you have studied as much as you can and given 100% then the grades will come.
Hi there. Wow, you sound so much like a younger me! I took my GCSE's and got 6 A's, 3B's. I was also so, so worried, but having gone through it all, let me give you some advice which I hope you will find helpful.
1) if your teacher ever tells you to revise for an end of unit test, just do it. I used to ignore my teacher and not revise but looking back I really wish I had because there is so much to remember.

2) On the day of the exam, make a rule with those that you are standing with that every time you want to say something like 'IM GOING TO FAIL', instead try and say something that will make it all seem better- there is no point getting worked up because if anything it will make matters worse.

3) Re reading and highlight does NOT work- just don't do it. Of course re read, but alongside that make flash cards, posters etc. The website Brainscape and Memrise will be your new best friends.

4) GCSE's are not the end of the world!! Believe me, there are so many opportunities out there and your grades will not define you. Do not compare yourself to others and be proud of what you achieve!

5) If you suspects that you might need tutoring for a subject, start getting it ASAP

6) VERY IMPORTANT. When revising, DO NOT do everything in one go. I study psychology and trust me, cramming it all in just doesn't work. My advice is to work in 15-30 minuet chunks, and then at the end of that when you have finished, take a 5-10 min gap and TEST YOURSELF. Testing yourself is the absolute best way of revising. If there are any particular subjects you are worried about, please feel free to tell me as I might have taken them and might be able to give some specific advice.

7) If you are looking into going to college, look up the college you are thinking of attending, type in the 3-4 A levels or Btech's or anything else that you want to take and see what grades you need to get into your course- that way it gives you something to work towards.

8) Your maths and English are now your most important subjects. These are the key for getting into College's and are what people will look for. Don't pass either of them? Dont panic! You can take them again at colleges and you will still get into the college, but you will have to re take the GCSE's alongside your other courses
And finally
Breathe. You are still in Year 9, you have work experience (etc) to look forward to yet! As long as you are doing regular revision with flash cards, self testing and mindmaps you'll do amazingly! Like I have previously said, if there are any particular subjects you're worried about, please feel free to reply and tell me. Sure, GCSE's are scary and are your first proper exams but your personality and traits as a person are far more important. X
Original post by MollyBarber13

Hello !
I think it is definitely too early to be worried ! You will be absolutely fine. As a chronic worrier myself I did not even worry about the exams until Year 11. Talk to your teachers and parents about it - but remember to enjoy yourself now while you can.
Original post by katie091000
Hi there. Wow, you sound so much like a younger me! I took my GCSE's and got 6 A's, 3B's. I was also so, so worried, but having gone through it all, let me give you some advice which I hope you will find helpful.
1) if your teacher ever tells you to revise for an end of unit test, just do it. I used to ignore my teacher and not revise but looking back I really wish I had because there is so much to remember.

2) On the day of the exam, make a rule with those that you are standing with that every time you want to say something like 'IM GOING TO FAIL', instead try and say something that will make it all seem better- there is no point getting worked up because if anything it will make matters worse.

3) Re reading and highlight does NOT work- just don't do it. Of course re read, but alongside that make flash cards, posters etc. The website Brainscape and Memrise will be your new best friends.

4) GCSE's are not the end of the world!! Believe me, there are so many opportunities out there and your grades will not define you. Do not compare yourself to others and be proud of what you achieve!

5) If you suspects that you might need tutoring for a subject, start getting it ASAP

6) VERY IMPORTANT. When revising, DO NOT do everything in one go. I study psychology and trust me, cramming it all in just doesn't work. My advice is to work in 15-30 minuet chunks, and then at the end of that when you have finished, take a 5-10 min gap and TEST YOURSELF. Testing yourself is the absolute best way of revising. If there are any particular subjects you are worried about, please feel free to tell me as I might have taken them and might be able to give some specific advice.

7) If you are looking into going to college, look up the college you are thinking of attending, type in the 3-4 A levels or Btech's or anything else that you want to take and see what grades you need to get into your course- that way it gives you something to work towards.

8) Your maths and English are now your most important subjects. These are the key for getting into College's and are what people will look for. Don't pass either of them? Dont panic! You can take them again at colleges and you will still get into the college, but you will have to re take the GCSE's alongside your other courses
And finally
Breathe. You are still in Year 9, you have work experience (etc) to look forward to yet! As long as you are doing regular revision with flash cards, self testing and mindmaps you'll do amazingly! Like I have previously said, if there are any particular subjects you're worried about, please feel free to reply and tell me. Sure, GCSE's are scary and are your first proper exams but your personality and traits as a person are far more important. X

Sorry for the late reply!
I can't thank you enough, but I'm going to try. Thank you so so much. It was so helpful to hear it as I don't have any older siblings or that many older friends so I'm going into this completely in the dark. Next year I'm going to study psychology too, and I'm looking to take it forward into Uni and my career.
Would you mind if I pmed you? SO we could talk some more without having to talk on a thread? Thank you again! xx

Quick Reply

Latest