The Student Room Group

Democracy and the Need for a Voter Certification Test

I support only persons who have a voter certification should vote. I don’t think it is less dangerous to allow someone to vote when they are not qualified to vote, than to let them drive when they are not qualified to drive. Because they can hit somebody else right ?

In fact, in the daily life false political decisions far more dangerous.
(edited 6 years ago)
Would the test include grammar?
Reply 2
Democracy is the belief that society should go in the direction which the majority of people support, this is not necessarily the "right" direction. Therefore, whether one is qualified or not to decide is of no importance.
lol our turnout rates are already pathetic and beg questions of legitimacy. Police and crime commissioner elections, only around 14% of people turn out. Another barrier is only gonna prevent people from voting.
The driving analogy isn't really the best one. If you sit in a car for the first time expecting to be able to drive it, you'll be confused, have to guess, and will probably end up killing someone. The vast majority of people have a relatively strong sense of right and wrong (although each person's opinion may be different) and some sort of moral compass without having to be formally taught it. In theory, these are the main things you need to be able to make a political decision.
So, I disagree. More education on the implications of policy or how the economy works would definitely be welcome, but I don't think discriminating against people based on their educational background is a good way to go about it. We really don't need a throwback to the Jim Crow literacy tests.
If you have people take a test to be allowed to vote, then that will almost certainly end up being abused by the government of the day in order to disenfranchise certain groups of people.

Taking tests to be allowed to vote is a stupid idea, but that doesn't stop it cropping up on this forum and others every now and then.
Original post by usualsuspects
Democracy is the belief that society should go in the direction which the majority of people support, this is not necessarily the "right" direction. Therefore, whether one is qualified or not to decide is of no importance.

Unfettered democracy as you describe isn’t really a good idea nor is it the system in place in the UK
Reply 7
Original post by Underscore__
Unfettered democracy as you describe isn’t really a good idea nor is it the system in place in the UK

Since the system is liberal-democratic, the suffrage is universal. In modern times, before democracy was really a thing, purely "liberal" regimes excluded from the franchise people who hadn't spent a sufficient amount of time in education or whose income/wealth was below a certain threshold. Democracy is the belief that everyone should vote, and this is the system in place.

Obviously, it is a representative liberal-democracy, and sovereignty doesn't belong to the people (in this the UK is an exception), so justice isn't administrated by majority vote and democracy isn't direct at all (while other states have binding referendums which constitute a form of direct democracy inside a representative system).
Since the system is liberal-democratic, the suffrage is universal. In modern times, before democracy was really a thing, purely "liberal" regimes excluded from the franchise people who hadn't spent a sufficient amount of time in education or whose income/wealth was below a certain threshold. Democracy is the belief that everyone should vote, and this is the system in place.

Well that’s not entirely true, we still restrict who can vote, children and prisoners being two obvious examples.

Obviously, it is a representative liberal-democracy, and sovereignty doesn't belong to the people (in this the UK is an exception), so justice isn't administrated by majority vote and democracy isn't direct at all (while other states have binding referendums which constitute a form of direct democracy inside a representative system).

We should count ourselves lucky that laws aren’t passed based on a majority vote
Reply 9
Original post by Underscore__
Well that’s not entirely true, we still restrict who can vote, children and prisoners being two obvious examples.

We should count ourselves lucky that laws aren’t passed based on a majority vote

Says this and then proceeds to moan against liberaldemocrats who don't want to brexit despite the referendum, I guess.

Every liberal-democratic system has restrictions on children and prisoners, but the franchise is still "universal".
Says this and then proceeds to moan against liberaldemocrats who don't want to brexit despite the referendum, I guess.

Every liberal-democratic system has restrictions on children and prisoners, but the franchise is still "universal".

When have I moaned about people not wanting Brexit? I honestly don’t really care either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending