The Student Room Group

first order approximation

for example in

h4cos2θ\sqrt{h^4 -cos^2 \theta}

where h>0 and θ\theta is small

i can't quite think of a way to find a first order approximation for this other than by binomal theorem

i mean like it was worked out that the approx of cos was 1bh221-\dfrac{bh^2}{2} where cos is cos(hx)cos(hx)

the main thing actually is that im not sure what h4cos2θ\sqrt{h^4 -cos^2 \theta} is approximately equal to, perhaps it's u+δuu+\delta u ?? it a complete guess but im sure that way would be quicker but is binomal theorem ok?
Reply 1
Use Taylor expansion up to terms in θ.
Original post by B_9710
Use Taylor expansion up to terms in θ.

i really wish i knew what this taylor expansion is lol, but is there no other way, because i've never done this taylor expansion or learnt it at all :/
Problem here is you say "for example", but the appropriate thing to do depends a lot on the exact form of the expression (and which parts you expect to be big or small).

In this case, I would rewrite h4cos2θh^4 - \cos^2 \theta as h41+sin2θh^4 -1 + \sin^2 \theta (to get a "theta-dependent" bit that's small for small theta), and then take out a factor of sqrt h^4-1 to get h411+sin2θh41\sqrt{h^4 - 1}\sqrt{1 + \frac{\sin^2 \theta}{h^4 - 1}} (to get the theta-dependent bit in the form (1+f(θ))α(1 + f(\theta))^\alpha , which is the easiest form to do a binomial expansion on).

You can then use sinθθ\sin \theta \approx \theta and the binomial theorem to get a first order approximation.

In the real world, it's quite common for these first order approximations to have pretty messy derivations (and nasty final forms), as you can see...
Original post by DFranklin
Problem here is you say "for example", but the appropriate thing to do depends a lot on the exact form of the expression (and which parts you expect to be big or small).

In this case, I would rewrite h4cos2θh^4 - \cos^2 \theta as h41+sin2θh^4 -1 + \sin^2 \theta (to get a "theta-dependent" bit that's small for small theta), and then take out a factor of sqrt h^4-1 to get h411+sin2θh41\sqrt{h^4 - 1}\sqrt{1 + \frac{\sin^2 \theta}{h^4 - 1}} (to get the theta-dependent bit in the form (1+f(θ))α(1 + f(\theta))^\alpha , which is the easiest form to do a binomial expansion on).

You can then use sinθθ\sin \theta \approx \theta and the binomial theorem to get a first order approximation.

In the real world, it's quite common for these first order approximations to have pretty messy derivations (and nasty final forms), as you can see...

right.... i guess i'll go with the binomial expansion :smile: thanks

last question (x2)12(x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} is just x right?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by will'o'wisp2
right.... i guess i'll go with the binomial expansion :smile: thanks

Should also be noted that this is in fact a 2nd order approximation.

I guess if you really knew a 1st order approximation was "good enough", then it's enough to observe that cos^2 theta = 1 to 1st order, and (unless h^4 = 1) sqrt(h^4 - cos^2 theta) has finite derivative. So you could just say it's h41\sqrt{h^4-1} to 1st order.

last question (x2)12(x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} is just x right
Generally speaking, it's |x|, although it depends on context. I don't see how the expression comes up, anyhow...
(edited 6 years ago)

I guess if you really knew a 1st order approximation was "good enough", then it's enough to observe that cos^2 theta = 1 to 1st order, and (unless h^4 = 1) sqrt(h^4 - cos^2 theta) has finite derivative. So you could just say it's h41\sqrt{h^4-1} to 1st order.

Generally speaking, it's |x|, although it depends on context. I don't see how the expression comes up, anyhow...

ah ok

for example taking out the factor making it suitable for binomial theorem perhaps(x2+tanθ)12(x^2+tan\theta )^{\frac{1}{2}}

so would there be an x or mod x outside the brackets?
for example taking out the factor making it suitable for binomial theorem perhaps(x2+tanθ)12(x^2+tan\theta )^{\frac{1}{2}}

so would there be an x or mod x outside the brackets?
Normally, |x|. (Although if I'm being honest, it's probably more actually more common to take out x and ignore the fact that it's wrong if x < 0...)
Normally, |x|. (Although if I'm being honest, it's probably more actually more common to take out x and ignore the fact that it's wrong if x < 0...)

thanks 1 more question

in lyx i'm trying to make the jumbo ( brackets work by putting in \left( but it doesn't seem to want to do it, i just keeps the \left part in red with a blue ( which annoys me because i can't make the jumbo brackets which auto fit to however tall the tallest thing inside the brackets is -__- i have to use the plebian handy toolbox of all those options
thanks 1 more question

in lyx i'm trying to make the jumbo ( brackets work by putting in \left( but it doesn't seem to want to do it, i just keeps the \left part in red with a blue ( which annoys me because i can't make the jumbo brackets which auto fit to however tall the tallest thing inside the brackets is -__- i have to use the plebian handy toolbox of all those options
Not sure what you're asking, but here's an example:

(1+1x21+x2)\left( 1 + \sqrt{\dfrac{1-x^2}{1+x^2}} \right)
Not sure what you're asking, but here's an example:

(1+1x21+x2)\left( 1 + \sqrt{\dfrac{1-x^2}{1+x^2}} \right)

ye that's what i mean like the jumbo ()

but like lyx won't do it .__. lemme show you(without showing you my homework lol)
Untitled.png
I have no idea what lyx is; I just write straight TeX code.
I have no idea what lyx is; I just write straight TeX code.

ok nvm about that

another 1 last time question

for a binomial expansion is each step there equal to each other or is it approximately equal?(i mean i am only taking the first x term so i miss out all the other x terms cus i don't need them for first order)
ok nvm about that

another 1 last time question

for a binomial expansion is each step there equal to each other or is it approximately equal?(i mean i am only taking the first x term so i miss out all the other x terms cus i don't need them for first order)
If you expand out (1+x)^a, you get something of the form 1 + Ax + Bx^2 + Cx^3 + ... where A, B, C etc. don't depend on x. So for small enough x, you can ignore all the terms apart from 1+Ax.

(i.e. yes, you don't need the other terms for 1st order).
If you expand out (1+x)^a, you get something of the form 1 + Ax + Bx^2 + Cx^3 + ... where A, B, C etc. don't depend on x. So for small enough x, you can ignore all the terms apart from 1+Ax.

(i.e. yes, you don't need the other terms for 1st order).

Ah thank you so much man, life saver.

Quick Reply

Latest