The Student Room Group

Character Development 101

Hi, this is my grow your grades blog for 2017-2018,

I'm Elle and I am currently a year 13 student doing A-Levels in maths, biology and chemistry

In my GCSEs I got 5A*s, 5As, 1 B and a Distinction is Add Maths. (Honestly why can't I still be doing GCSEs :s-smilie:)

Year 12 was a tough year for me and I ended up not achieving what I really needed to achieve at the end of last year.
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Maths: B
(Bio and chem were mocks but maths was the real deal)

I'm an aspiring dentist and need to get AAA at the end of this year.

The ucas application has been one of the single most stressful activities I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Honestly, the constant meetings with my head of year and the constant "next day new draft" deadlines were a stress. I've applied to Newcastle, Cardiff, Bristol and Belfast for dentistry. My insurance choice, Cardiff Optometry, has gotten back to me and offered me a place at AAB. When I found out, around 10PM-ish, I ran downstairs and shoved my phone in my mum's face lol.

So, because of all this, I've decided to pick myself up and continue on. 'Prove them all wrong' as people say.

I have an awful lot of things to do and an awful lot of ways to procrastinate.

This blog is for me. And for my grades. And for what future me will say when she reads this all back and realises she did what she could.

XOX Elle

UPDATE: 27th October 2017

Tests So Far:
Chem Test - Thermodynamics - A
Bio Test - Photosynthesis - A
Bio Test - Inheritance - A*
Chem Test - Carbonyls - A*
Stats Test - Chapter 1 - 68%
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
15-10-17

LAST DAY FOR EARLY ENTRIES

How scary.

Today was an okay day. I have 2 upcoming tests and told myself I'd revise chemistry and then bio. I have currently almost finished chem but have yet to start bio. I'm aiming for 90% in the bio (test on inheritance) and 80% in the chem (test on aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, waters, actuation, anhydrides, optical isomerism) I'll update on how those go.

image.jpg

I am aware that this is incorrectly orientated but yolo. It is currently 18:56 and I am going to do some more chem and maybe a bit of bio before I head to bed because I'm exhausted from the 6:30 wake up time.

Tomorrow:
-6AM wake up to catch my 7AM bus
-planned bday bash for my friend at lunch, must remember to bring candles in
-first period is a free so I need to print off my chem practice questions and revise bio
-second period is bio and homework due for then is done
-third period is a free and inneed to study bio then
-fourth period is chem REVISION LESSON YAY
-fifth period is maths - I think we're doing more trig?
-after school is rehearsal for the school musical and I'll stay 1 hour and 30 minutes afterwards to revise for the bio test
-home at just before 7PM

Thoughts I'm having:
-I'm possibly going to get a second job as a Christmas temp and then quit after Christmas
-willing myself not to keep constantly checking my emails
Reply 2
Monday 16th October 2017 - Morning

Early start as usual, not as early though because I got up at just after 6 - yay for lie ins.

Today it is rainy and miserable and dark. However, I will complete everything that needs to be completed.

GOALS:

finish the practice questions for the two chem topics for the test
finish the bio practice questions as revision for the test
go for a 10 minute run at some point
finish any homework assigned today
print off more practice questions for chem and bio
Reply 3
Monday 16th October 2017 - Evening

Miraculously, my chem test was moved from Wednesday this week to Tuesday next week. I can't decide whether I'm happy or disappointed.

Bio test is tomorrow and I'm not sure how that's gonna go but I will try my absolute best.

The bday bash for my friend went swimmingly. I honestly love planning stuff like this for my friends because it makes them happy and yay :smile:

Rehearsal was a blag and I didn't need to be there. I'm trying to figure out why I'm still taking part in the school musical if i don't enjoy what I'm doing. I think I just like the whole 'not being home for ages' aspect.

I ran today when I got home after school (just after 6PM) and I'm proud of myself. I feel so much more relaxed now and a little less guilty for not running. Glad I'm picking that up again.

I did what I could today and revised for biology, I printed off more bio stuff but not chem. I need to do some chem work tomorrow so hopefully I'll do that after rehearsal.

Tomorrow:
-6AM wake up :smile:
-first period is bio and my test - aim: 90%
-second period and third period are frees, plan is to do sole chem revision and finish off the chem practice questions set as homework
-fourth period is statistics and I find out my results for the test I had on Friday
-fifth period is chem and idk maybe starting a new topic
-I have an after school chem lesson :frown:
-rehearsal until 5PM again tomorrow, I think I'll stay in school for an extra 30 minutes and try and get some work done
-home at just before 7PM

Thoughts I'm having:
-need to find a second job but then need to figure out taxes
-stop checking emails
-I'll go for another run

It is incredibly windy right now. Really hoping the bus doesn't get blown over tomorrow, apparently there's a new bus route which will make me very late.

I also have to sort out something that's happening with my attendance. Apparently I have 80% attendance but I know that I've been going to every single one of my lessons. Gotta get that sorted out.

Until tomorrow morning xox elle
Reply 4
Tuesday 17th October - Morning

Earlier start today, feeling a little sick but maybe that's because I'm staring at my phone on a bus journey.

I've already been through some flash cards but I think I have to stop so my head stops spinning.

The test is today and I'm hoping I do well in it :smile:

GOALS:
-revise chem
-start up again with mechanics
-run again
-print off some chem practice questions

It seems miserable again today but if I made it through yesterday, I can make it through today.
Good luck for the next year! Which uni would you love to get into the most out of the 4 dentistry ones?

Original post by Elle1718
Monday 16th October 2017 - Morning

Early start as usual, not as early though because I got up at just after 6 - yay for lie ins.

Today it is rainy and miserable and dark. However, I will complete everything that needs to be completed.

It was so dark and miserable yesterday, I can't believe you managed to do anything except curling up on the sofa with a million cups of tea :lol: :congrats:
Great blog !! Mind checking mine out https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046
And good luck :wink:
Reply 7
1A2AD620-4D29-44E2-B60D-67A3A6042EA3.jpg.jpeg D629469A-6779-4A1E-BF3B-DD7ED6E7E91B.jpg.jpeg

Update on me: I'm currently still in school, rehearsal wasn't on turns out, so I stayed behind and my plan is to be here until 5:30 :smile:

Chemistry is go, go, go!
Reply 8
Original post by Fox Corner
Good luck for the next year! Which uni would you love to get into the most out of the 4 dentistry ones?

It was so dark and miserable yesterday, I can't believe you managed to do anything except curling up on the sofa with a million cups of tea :lol: :congrats:

I love all the schools honestly, but if I had to pick one it would probably be Newcastle although that's the one I'm probably not going to get into considering my ukcat score.

Lol ngl same but I managed to do quite and bit especially since I went to the library which I haven't done for a while now. Although I wouldn't mind a million cups of tea rn :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Great blog !! Mind checking mine out https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046
And good luck :wink:

Thank you!! And yeah I'll definitely check yours out, good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 10
Tuesday 17th October - Evening

Bio test went okay, not sure about the 90% goal but I feel like I definitely got above 70%

I did not get my stats results back which is disappointing but hopefully they'll be given back tomorrow.

My frees today were super productive, I got so much chem revision done I'm very happy with myself.

I stayed behind after school from 3-5:30 to revise some chem and I got quite a bit done. I'm starting to feel a lot more confident for this test. I've just got to keep up this revision now.

I did once again run when I got home around 6:50 and I'm proud that I'm hopefully gonna keep this up.

As for my goals, I did everything one them except start up again on mechanics because I feel like I really need to focus on chem rn.

Tomorrow:
-6 in the morning wake up
-period 1 is stats and hopefully results, we're doing probability but my teacher is quite bad so idk how this year is going to go
-period 2 is biology
-period 3 is a free and I'm going to try get some more chem done then but I'm with my friends so idk how that is going to go
-period 4 is bio
-period 5 is chem again and cri

Thoughts I'm having:
-need to update my cv to apply for a second job
-actually apply for second job
-need I keep running so run again tomorrow is the plan
Reply 11
Wednesday 18th October 2017 - Morning

Early start again. I made a mistake and did some early morning online shopping and I now have ordered a new skirt and some wide leg trousers.

I have 4 lessons today and then maybe rehearsal.

Bus journeys with friends are the best, they won't shut up about bake off and I love it.

GOALS:
-revise chem
-run again and take a 1 min sprint
-I don't have that many goals for today

Today is freezing, absolutely freezing and it's only 4 degrees it could get colder. I'm not really dressed for the weather, I wish I was wearing a jumper and a scarf :'(
Wednesday 18th October 2017 - Morning

Early start again. I made a mistake and did some early morning online shopping and I now have ordered a new skirt and some wide leg trousers.

I have 4 lessons today and then maybe rehearsal.

Bus journeys with friends are the best, they won't shut up about bake off and I love it.

GOALS:
-revise chem
-run again and take a 1 min sprint
-I don't have that many goals for today

Today is freezing, absolutely freezing and it's only 4 degrees it could get colder. I'm not really dressed for the weather, I wish I was wearing a jumper and a scarf :'(

You are so inspirational I'm going to be working hard to try and get A*A*A and I will always look at your blog because I love seeing other people working towards their goals. It motivates me. I hope you achieve the best results possible.
Reply 13
Original post by bloodygoth
You are so inspirational I'm going to be working hard to try and get A*A*A and I will always look at your blog because I love seeing other people working towards their goals. It motivates me. I hope you achieve the best results possible.

Thank you!! Same for me, I love seeing other people being motivated and achieving things :smile:
Reply 14
Update on me:

It's currently 18:31 and I'm only just getting my second bus home. It's late and I'm cold, I'm definitely wearing a nice turtle neck jumper tomorrow. I have this jumper I'm saving for the first day of December and I can't wait to wear it because it's kinda a Christmas jumper but it's not at the same time.

School finished at 3 and I stayed in the silent study room until 5:30 and I'm still on my way home now but at least I got 2.5 hours of revision done.

My goals for when I get home are to run and to update my cv as I'm going to try get another job.

Chemistry is starting to make a lot more sense to me and I'm very glad. All together, so far this week I've spent 5 hours doing chem. Hopefully I can get to 7.5 hours.

7AD9748E-2CA6-40AE-BCEE-0A8F57AD0C14.jpg.jpeg B75D949C-B5CB-48C4-A721-1F44F2911748.jpg.jpeg 8956AC17-A34E-4F24-834E-C53F09725D69.jpg.jpeg 0368ED88-9DD0-458E-B98C-89AC86AB23CA.jpg.jpeg 80F220B5-B5D5-4AAC-9678-320C5815D989.jpg.jpeg 7E3335C0-243F-492A-92DB-2852B11CA8D3.jpg.jpeg

Accept these pictures of my satisfying chem work
Thank you!! Same for me, I love seeing other people being motivated and achieving things :smile:

How do you revise for biology? I'm really struggling with it. I know the content but then exam questions really throw me off!
Reply 16
How do you revise for biology? I'm really struggling with it. I know the content but then exam questions really throw me off!

I was like that for bio around year 12 as well, until I found out that no matter how much I tried to revise the content I'd never get anything above a B unless I did loads and loads of practice questions. I'd suggest doing as many practice questions as possible, physicsandmathstutor have sooooo many. I printed off 177 pages worth of practice questions for my first test this year and I managed to get an A! If you get stuck on them there are online mark schemes or you can go to your teacher to ask for them to explain. I love my bio teacher and she's so cool when it comes to me not understanding a question. I hope this helps somewhat? With exam questions I feel like you really need to prep yourself mentally for them because you should surely know how to answer them if you know the content, half the battle is knowing that you can answer them :biggrin:
I was like that for bio around year 12 as well, until I found out that no matter how much I tried to revise the content I'd never get anything above a B unless I did loads and loads of practice questions. I'd suggest doing as many practice questions as possible, physicsandmathstutor have sooooo many. I printed off 177 pages worth of practice questions for my first test this year and I managed to get an A! If you get stuck on them there are online mark schemes or you can go to your teacher to ask for them to explain. I love my bio teacher and she's so cool when it comes to me not understanding a question. I hope this helps somewhat? With exam questions I feel like you really need to prep yourself mentally for them because you should surely know how to answer them if you know the content, half the battle is knowing that you can answer them :biggrin:

Thank youuuu!! I think i'll start doing exam questions everyday because I do a few questions a week but maybe if I increase the amount it will help me more! Maybe I can even get an A* in my December mocks if I work extra hard.
Reply 18
Thank youuuu!! I think i'll start doing exam questions everyday because I do a few questions a week but maybe if I increase the amount it will help me more! Maybe I can even get an A* in my December mocks if I work extra hard.

Yeah!! That's a great goal to aspire to!! You should defo update me on your results in December and whether you found doing more practice questions helpful :smile:
Reply 19
Thursday 19th October 2017 - Morning

I'm waking up before my alarm nowadays, which is strange. I just want to sleep but I don't really need anymore sleep. My hair is up today, I do not have any effort to make it look nice.

3 frees today and 2 chem lessons. Maybe rehearsal? If there isn't rehearsal then I'm just going to stay in school again.

I'm really into eating soup rn.

GOALS:
-finish last of the practice questions
-start and/or finish exam questions from textbook
-print off a level chemistry assessed homework and test and do it again
-my goals today all revolve around chemistry

I am wearing a scarf today :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending