The Student Room Group

Poor student (17) & need a part time job

So for some reason I am unable to post anonymously on my original account so I'm making this post on a duplicate I just created now

My parents are severely struggling financially atm and I don't want to bother them but I need to buy books for college, possibly pay for a few summer schools/trips, reading books in general & also I want to self teach myself further maths as my college doesn't offer it but can't afford the book right now unfortunately.
I know if I ask my parents they will try their hardest to provide me with what I need but I really don't want to stress them out.

I've been looking for a part time job to be able to hopefully support myself a bit academically but no success. It's proven a lot more difficult than I thought it would and tbh it's starting to really upset me.

I'm 17 so what are the ideal places I should be applying to? I've tried Tescos, Sainsbury's, footlocker etc (I've legit applied to like over 70 and had an interview from Iceland but then rejected and then rejected from everywhere else pretty much. 5 minutes ago I just got a rejection email from primark.)

Would anyone kindly read over my CV maybe?
If you're 17 and have a part time job, what previous experience did you put down?
You probably can't post anon because it's not a post that requires anon.

In any case, call centres will always be recruiting, and are often good temporary measures due to not infrequently slightly higher than min wage pay and often needing people to work odd shifts (like evenings or weekends) which are amenable to students - they also usually hire just about anyone. It is a soul destroying environment however.

I have no idea about your CV (is there a CV forum on here? I feel like there is, or should be maybe :tongue: ) but for interview usually the key is to take experiences you've had, in your personal life or at school, and apply your approaches to such experiences to things relevant to the role. For example, working in a group project at school, delivering difficult news/information to someone, multitasking, doing independent work/research without supervision, etc, etc...
Hi, I’m not 17 but was last year :wink:
I got my first job at 16 with no experience what so ever at a local theme park, I worked there for a season and moved on to Sainsbury’s, I literally use these two when I apply for jobs (I work at John Lewis now).
If you don’t have any experience I suggest making up a little lie, say you either worked with your Mum or Dad for a few weeks, maybe a few months, if they ask for a reference just get your parents to write one for you.
Try applying for smaller more local businesses like a local pub/ or a small shop or something.
Do you use indeed.co.uk? It’s great for finding jobs posted on your area.
You said you get rejected post interview so maybe work on your interview tactics? If you’re not a confident person you don’t have to be, just pretend that you are. Make sure you answer questions the way that the employer would like to hear. “Why do you want to work here?” “I want to become more experienced in a retail environment to hopefully progress my career forward” stuff like that.
If all else fails then have you considered jobs such as McDonalds or KFC, they’re usually hiring and not too hard to get into.
Hope this helps
:smile:
Original post by Daniel100499
Hi, I’m not 17 but was last year :wink:
I got my first job at 16 with no experience what so ever at a local theme park, I worked there for a season and moved on to Sainsbury’s, I literally use these two when I apply for jobs (I work at John Lewis now).
If you don’t have any experience I suggest making up a little lie, say you either worked with your Mum or Dad for a few weeks, maybe a few months, if they ask for a reference just get your parents to write one for you.
Try applying for smaller more local businesses like a local pub/ or a small shop or something.
Do you use indeed.co.uk? It’s great for finding jobs posted on your area.
You said you get rejected post interview so maybe work on your interview tactics? If you’re not a confident person you don’t have to be, just pretend that you are. Make sure you answer questions the way that the employer would like to hear. “Why do you want to work here?” “I want to become more experienced in a retail environment to hopefully progress my career forward” stuff like that.
If all else fails then have you considered jobs such as McDonalds or KFC, they’re usually hiring and not too hard to get into.
Hope this helps
:smile:

Thanks

I am quite a confident person so I think maybe why interviews aren't going too well is because I treat them like an interview for school council or something. I talk to much about myself which I doubt they care about.

I was thinking of telling a few tiny lies but was too scared too and I've been using indeed since June! I've just started using totaljobs and it seems okay.
Original post by Fed up dead up
Thanks

I am quite a confident person so I think maybe why interviews aren't going too well is because I treat them like an interview for school council or something. I talk to much about myself which I doubt they care about.

I was thinking of telling a few tiny lies but was too scared too and I've been using indeed since June! I've just started using totaljobs and it seems okay.

Just keep looking, I’m sure you’ll land yourself a job sooner or later 👍🏼
Original post by Fed up dead up
So for some reason I am unable to post anonymously on my original account so I'm making this post on a duplicate I just created now

My parents are severely struggling financially atm and I don't want to bother them but I need to buy books for college, possibly pay for a few summer schools/trips, reading books in general & also I want to self teach myself further maths as my college doesn't offer it but can't afford the book right now unfortunately.
I know if I ask my parents they will try their hardest to provide me with what I need but I really don't want to stress them out.

I've been looking for a part time job to be able to hopefully support myself a bit academically but no success. It's proven a lot more difficult than I thought it would and tbh it's starting to really upset me.

I'm 17 so what are the ideal places I should be applying to? I've tried Tescos, Sainsbury's, footlocker etc (I've legit applied to like over 70 and had an interview from Iceland but then rejected and then rejected from everywhere else pretty much. 5 minutes ago I just got a rejection email from primark.)

Would anyone kindly read over my CV maybe?
If you're 17 and have a part time job, what previous experience did you put down?

Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending