The Student Room Group

Got kicked of nursing degree

got kicked of my nursing degree yesterday due to failing my resubmission, I'm honestly devastated and any advice what to do next would be great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm so sorry, is there anyway you can appeal?
Reply 2
Original post by Lorna04
got kicked of my nursing degree yesterday due to failing my resubmission, I'm honestly devastated and any advice what to do next would be great :smile:

Is there anyone at your university you can talk things though with? Your department/careers service? They may be able to help direct you to other avenues within a healthcare setting. Is there any chance of appealing - your student union should have advice on this.

Best wishes
Reply 3
I have a meeting with my personal supervisor today so hopefully i can sort out what i need to, i can appeal but i need evidence of things that can influence my ability to study (health, bereavement etc) which i don't have, thanks for your help guys :smile:
Talk to the careers service and plan a new career path. In the meantime, start looking for work so you have a source of income.
Original post by Lorna04

Apologies for the disgusting comments left in this thread, these have now been removed and appropriate action taken with the user.

You should discuss this with your personal tutor, and also your student union. Depending why you failed your resubmission and by what margin will determine your options. There may be a marking appeals process whereby you can request a remark.

The student union will also be able to advise you regarding the different evidence you might require for an appeal.
Reply 6
Original post by Lorna04
I have a meeting with my personal supervisor today so hopefully i can sort out what i need to, i can appeal but i need evidence of things that can influence my ability to study (health, bereavement etc) which i don't have, thanks for your help guys :smile:

You need to think about why you failed. You say you don't have any extenuating circumstances, so what was the reason? Too much partying, too little study, not understanding the work, trying to take on a part time job as well etc? You need to figure out what you would do differently if you had another chance. If you go in and say "I know I messed up. This is why, and this is how I'll fix it" you will come across so much better than if you have no excuse, no reason, and no plan.

You might want to speak to friends to see how they study, or make a study timetable to plan your time better.

Read your course handbook, or find the policies on the website. They may let you resit just this one module, or may be persuaded to let you resit the whole year. Or it may be the case that sadly you have to leave.
Original post by Lorna04

Hi

Sorry to hear about your rough time. Its not uncommon for people to be withdrawn from a nursing course.

I would suggest the following:

Find out the rules, either in your hand book or online. They will cover exams and being withdrawn plus appeals.

If you cant find them ask the department.
You can talk to your tutor or go and see a student advisor.
You should find out how much you failed by.

You should then decide if you are going to appeal on what grounds you will do so. Normally there would be two grounds.
1. They did something wrong. in the way they taught the curse or way they handled the marking.
2. You have mitigating circumstances to explain your poor performance i.e someone died or you were ill or suffer mental illness etc.

You need to decide if you have enough grounds to make an appeal.

If not then you will need to leave and look into finding a new course next year. I have read of some people returning to other nursing courses, but they will obviously need t know why you were withdrawn from your current one.

It may be nursing inst for you and a different degree would be better. You would need to check funding for that. I can understand things are very awkward and in turmoil so just try an get through. You will need to find out what happens about accommodation as you may be required to pay the rent until a replacement is found.

Go and have a good cry, eat some nice food and a sleep, then draw up a to do list. Once you are away then you can take an enforced gap an figure out what to do. Hang in there.
Original post by jakey_99
Ha, nursing?! Probably for the best you got kicked off. You are a female right? If not, then even better you got kicked off, or else you'd be made fun of for the rest of your life for being a male nurse.

wtf
Reply 9
Ha, nursing?! Probably for the best you got kicked off. You are a female right? If not, then even better you got kicked off, or else you'd be made fun of for the rest of your life for being a male nurse.

what society do you live in? this is not the 1800 it is 2017, if men want to be nurses then good on them, it is a hard profession. likewise if i a girl wanted to enter the army then she should have the right to. Do you actually know anything about the nursing profession? didn't think so therefore i think you should keep your spiteful mouth to yourself, I feel sorry for small minded people like you.

1 in 10 nurses are male and a lot of those are very senior. My sister is an A&E nurse and the most senior nurse in her department is a man, he runs the department. Male nurses don't get made fun of at all, except by immature teenagers like yourself who have no idea what they're talking about.
Reply 11
Original post by Glassapple
1 in 10 nurses are male and a lot of those are very senior. My sister is an A&E nurse and the most senior nurse in her department is a man, he runs the department. Male nurses don't get made fun of at all, except by immature teenagers like yourself who have no idea what they're talking about.

thankyou!
Original post by Lorna04

Do you know why you failed? Did you get feedback or detailed marking of the resubmission? What year are you in? At the university my sister went to they allowed people to progress to the next year with one module they had failed, providing they passed it within 12 weeks of the start of the new academic year (an NMC requirement). A lot of universities give 3 attempts, does yours only give 2? Is this detailed in the course handbook and does the handbook say what happens if you fail a resubmission?
(edited 6 years ago)

Er, what? I'm working in psychiatry at the moment, and at least half of the 40 or so nurses and HCAs working in the hospital are male. Apart from being awesome at nursing, most of them are built like brick ****-houses. I'd like to see you try to pick a fight with them. :s-smilie: Or my female nursing colleagues, for that matter. They're tougher than most people I know.

OP: you've had a lot of good advice. I think the most important thing to do at the moment might be to figure out the appeals process. Did your meeting with your personal tutor throw up any ideas?
Original post by Glassapple

The glass escalator effect is well documented.
Original post by artful_lounger
The glass escalator effect is well documented.

I never said it wasn't, I was saying the males don't get made fun of and they can be in positions of power just like female nurses.
What university are you from?
Reply 17
Original post by S.jones21
What university are you from?

university of york
Original post by Lorna04
university of york

Me too and I got kicked off also!
Reply 19
Original post by S.jones21
Me too and I got kicked off also!

was you in nursing 2016 cohort? or another course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending