The Student Room Group

Can't find a job!!!

I don't know if it's the fact that I don't have much experience or because I'm just unlucky as hell. I worked at a charity shop and worked as a home carer for about 3 months. And I've applied for Primark and everywhere and they either reject me by emailing it or just not send me anything (which is so annoying). I got rejected by a primark 3 mins away from me!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That_Hijabi
I don't know if it's the fact that I don't have much experience or because I'm just unlucky as hell. I worked at a charity shop and worked as a home carer for about 3 months. And I've applied for Primark and everywhere and they either reject me by emailing it or just not send me anything (which is so annoying). I got rejected by a primark 3 mins away from me!!!

Keep applying - I've made over 30 applications these past 3 weeks and have gotten 2 interviews so far only recently (I feel lucky) so keep trying. Bear in mind, I have received a lot of pre-interview rejections too..
Reply 2
Maybe your CV needs improving.
Reply 3
Original post by Ze Witcher
Keep applying - I've made over 30 applications these past 3 weeks and have gotten 2 interviews so far only recently (I feel lucky) so keep trying. Bear in mind, I have received a lot of pre-interview rejections too..

You're lucky you even got an interview . Meanwhile , here I am. I'll keep applying just to get rejected
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
Maybe your CV needs improving.

My CV is normal
You're lucky you even got an interview . Meanwhile , here I am. I'll keep applying just to get rejected

Stop whining and keep applying then - I didn't hear back until this week as I assumed I was rejected so do you know what? I kept applying..

CV could be an issue - are you tailoring it to whatever job you are applying for?
Do you have the buzzwords in your CV needed for wherever you're applying for?
Maybe you just don't have enough experience.
You could be failing the tests..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Don’t give up, they will surely regret missing this chance to hire you. Believe in yourself and someday you’ll get a job for sure. I know I sound like an old lady but oh well....
Reply 7
Stop whining and keep applying then - I didn't hear back until this week as I assumed I was rejected so do you know what? I kept applying..

CV could be an issue - are you tailoring it to whatever job you are applying for?
Do you have the buzzwords in your CV needed for wherever you're applying for?
Maybe you just don't have enough experience.
You could be failing the tests..

What tests?
Reply 8
My CV is normal

Says who?
My CV is normal

How do you know that? You had it checked by someone? The only thing you can do is keep applying and handing in your CVs too. You could look at websites like Indeed too.
What tests?

What jobs are you applying for and how many applications have you made?
My CV is normal

1. According to whom?

2. That's not good enough. To get a job you need to be better than the competition. A "normal" CV, by definition, will not stand out.
Reply 12
Well i feel really lucky as the first place i applied to i was accepted (a patisserie) and I've applied to two hotels both which I've managed to get the job :smile: its not impossible to get yourself a job just make sure its not big name brands like tesco or primark and that your CV is good.

I've just started Year 12 mind you so i don't have a lot of experience either.

My CV is normal

Whats a normal CV? If by normal you mean average then thats why you're not hearing back

Do you tailor your CV to each application you make?
Original post by UWS
Says who?

Original post by Kevin Hodge
How do you know that? You had it checked by someone? The only thing you can do is keep applying and handing in your CVs too. You could look at websites like Indeed too.

Original post by Student-95
1. According to whom?

2. That's not good enough. To get a job you need to be better than the competition. A "normal" CV, by definition, will not stand out.

Original post by madmadmax321
Whats a normal CV? If by normal you mean average then thats why you're not hearing back

Do you tailor your CV to each application you make?

I watched youtube videos on how to structure it and so it looks decent . What makes a perfect cv? I'm struggling
What jobs are you applying for and how many applications have you made?

I've made about 15 and I'm applying for retail assistant jobs
Reply 16
I watched youtube videos on how to structure it and so it looks decent . What makes a perfect cv? I'm struggling

You should tailor your CV to the role you are applying for.

Read the job description and then put in relevant information.

For example in retail an employer is mostly looking for someone who is good with talking to customers, helping people, working under pressure, etc... Don't just list random things that you think you're good at, make it relevant.
There is a lot of competition for jobs so you really need to make yourself stand out. Make sure that you highlight the key skills you have picked up in your work experience that are relevant to the job role. It may be worth getting someone to look over your application or CV before you send it off. You never know what a fresh pair of eyes can pick up!

In the meantime, try to keep yourself busy - look for volunteering placements and careers fairs/events in your area. You could also ask friends if they know any places that are hiring.
Original post by UWS
You should tailor your CV to the role you are applying for.

Read the job description and then put in relevant information.

For example in retail an employer is mostly looking for someone who is good with talking to customers, helping people, working under pressure, etc... Don't just list random things that you think you're good at, make it relevant.

So I basically just make the introduction more detailed and luscious? Is that what you're saying? I don't have much experience as a retail assistant but I have lots of experience as a care assistant but I guess it's not relevant to retail. It has helped me with working under pressure and better my communication but nothing that directly relates to retail.
Just keep applying and focus on your studies, they are the most important thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending