The Student Room Group

Predicted Cs... Do I even have a chance of getting into uni?

^^^
Reply 1
Depends...what did you get at AS?
Original post by Lia22
Depends...what did you get at AS?

All Ds.... I was shocked as well as my teachers because I normally get As
Reply 3
Original post by xxxtentacion..
All Ds.... I was shocked as well as my teachers because I normally get As

Try and get your teachers to put up 1/2 of your grades to a B. Any higher uni's might see it as unrealistic. You can still apply and if you do better than expected go through adjustment. Or you can reapply next year.
But definitely still apply this year, it'll keep your options open.
For Maths//Engineering??
Honestly, there are universities that accept C's. You can always be offered a foundation course if your grades are not B's or something. It's not the end? If you feel like you won't get into uni, foundation degrees still make you a university student and not everyone has to know that you've started your course already. I get that you're feeling down, but sometimes teachers are worried about how they will be perceived by the higher authorities in the school. For example if you score D's and get predicted a B, that's kind of unrealistic.. Then you get below a B in the real exam, the teacher will be blamed by both the school and you. The university will not give you a chance. Also, you have until December to get your predictions higher, don't you? You've got this :smile:
Original post by bunnyy_99
Honestly, there are universities that accept C's. You can always be offered a foundation course if your grades are not B's or something. It's not the end? If you feel like you won't get into uni, foundation degrees still make you a university student and not everyone has to know that you've started your course already. I get that you're feeling down, but sometimes teachers are worried about how they will be perceived by the higher authorities in the school. For example if you score D's and get predicted a B, that's kind of unrealistic.. Then you get below a B in the real exam, the teacher will be blamed by both the school and you. The university will not give you a chance. Also, you have until December to get your predictions higher, don't you? You've got this :smile:

Thank you for making my day :smile::heart:
For Maths//Engineering??

It depends what the grade requiments are. Obviously you're not going to get an offer for an ABB or BBB course. There are universities which will accept CCC for engineering which you wouldn't be at a disadvantage for.
Original post by Glassapple
It depends what the grade requiments are. Obviously you're not going to get an offer for an ABB or BBB course. There are universities which will accept CCC for engineering which you wouldn't be at a disadvantage for.

Original post by bunnyy_99

Original post by Lia22
Try and get your teachers to put up 1/2 of your grades to a B. Any higher uni's might see it as unrealistic. You can still apply and if you do better than expected go through adjustment. Or you can reapply next year.
But definitely still apply this year, it'll keep your options open.

But I want to get into a good university and I know myself that I can get As?

Then go through adjustment on A level day (which is clearing basically) or reapply next year with your A2 grades. Fairly obvious really.

Then you'll have to take a gap year after your A-levels and apply next year with your actual achieved A-level grades. Literally no university will give you an AAA offer if you're predicted CCC, that's the point of the system.
Original post by itsfantanoo
Then go through adjustment on A level day (which is clearing basically) or reapply next year with your A2 grades. Fairly obvious really.

I dont want to apply next year and I really want offers and not just rely on adjustment :frown:

Then you'll have to take a gap year after your A-levels and apply next year with your actual achieved A-level grades. Literally no university will give you an AAA offer if you're predicted CCC, that's the point of the system.

Its a bull **** system
I dont want to apply next year and I really want offers and not just rely on adjustment :frown:

Then you should have studied last year. There's nothing you can do. If a uni gives you an offer with your grades right now are they really a good uni?

Its a bull **** system

Then how do you expect it to work? The will be literally hundreds (if not thousands of people depending on the university and the course) of people applying for courses which require AAA who will be predicted at least AAA. How do you expect universities to cope with all those applications as well as the thousands of other applications from people predicted CCC, who realistically don't have a chance of getting AAA in their eyes are shown by their AS results and their A2 predictions?

Universities do not give offers to people where the facts indicate they're not realistically going to achieve the grades they need for an offer, despite whatever the applicant thinks. The world doesn't owe you anything, if you wanted to be predicted AAA you should have worked harder at AS.
Then how do you expect it to work? The will be literally hundreds (if not thousands of people depending on the university and the course) of people applying for courses which require AAA who will be predicted at least AAA. How do you expect universities to cope with all those applications as well as the thousands of other applications from people predicted CCC, who realistically don't have a chance of getting AAA in their eyes are shown by their AS results and their A2 predictions?

Universities do not give offers to people where the facts indicate they're not realistically going to achieve the grades they need for an offer, despite whatever the applicant thinks. The world doesn't owe you anything, if you wanted to be predicted AAA you should have worked harder at AS.

I did work hard dude!
I did work hard dude!

Our opinions are irrelevant, that's what every single university will think. They don't know who you are or how hard you say you worked, they go on objective facts. The only objective facts they have to go on are your AS results and your A2 predictions, both of which do not indicate in any way that you're realistically going to achieve AAA. If you actually achieved AAA and took a gap year then you'd be looking at getting unconditional offers where you don't have to do anything else at all and you'd just waltz into a university. You might not like it but that's how it works, for good reasons.
(edited 6 years ago)
Whilst the system could be better, it would require a lot of change for that to be the case.

Fundamentally, you did exams and got DDDD, no matter what your history is that reflects badly upon you and universities quite rightly won't give you an offer for a course that needs AAA or whatever. Remember that courses which require AAA are often oversubscribed, why should a uni take you who is predicted CCC after getting DDDD when there are plenty of other applicants that got AAAA at AS predicted AAA at A2? It makes no sense.

You probably did study, and you probably did work hard, but those results did not come for one reason or another and that's now your job to fix. You can either apply to universities you're likely to get into and then go through adjustment or take another year and apply then, perhaps finding a uni that accepts resits?

The system cares about what you've achieved, not what you could have achieved.
I got BCD took a gap year did work experience, internships, voluntary work and studied aat level 3 and got into an AAB uni possibly AAA now
Ummm how about a resit? 😏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending