The Student Room Group

Mature Student university offers 2018

I've seen the thread running at the moment where the A-level students are receiving offers already. I was wondering if there are any mature students who have heard anything yet?
Reply 1
Original post by Ellisha2101
I've seen the thread running at the moment where the A-level students are receiving offers already. I was wondering if there are any mature students who have heard anything yet?

I am a mature student, i have applied to 3 university's to doing teaching degrees, i put my application in Sept, and i have my first interview, but i havn't had any acknowledgement emails from the other 2 uni's yet. x
This might not be the right place to ask this but those of you who are doing access courses, how do you know which unis to apply to if you don't know what grades you'll get? We're going to be spending a couple of weeks at college doing applications and all that stuff and I'm not sure if i'm going to be getting distinctions or merits so i've not got a clue where to apply. Of course I'm aiming for all distinctions but it might not be so easy.
Reply 3
Most universities will ask for different requirements, so have a look at the entry requirements for each course. I think once you get an offer they will tell you what they expect you to get. You obviously won't know what your grades will be yet, but you can try your best and go from there. I also believe that once you get your results and the Universities have them they will confirm if those results are enough and will accept you on the course. Don't hold me to that but i think that's what they can do. I think Universities can be flexible. Hope that helps in some way. So apply for the courses you are interested in and take a note of what they expect and try and work as hard as you can to get the results.
Original post by l1985
Most universities will ask for different requirements, so have a look at the entry requirements for each course. I think once you get an offer they will tell you what they expect you to get. You obviously won't know what your grades will be yet, but you can try your best and go from there. I also believe that once you get your results and the Universities have them they will confirm if those results are enough and will accept you on the course. Don't hold me to that but i think that's what they can do. I think Universities can be flexible. Hope that helps in some way. So apply for the courses you are interested in and take a note of what they expect and try and work as hard as you can to get the results.

Nice one mate.
Reply 5
Original post by Pogkaku
Nice one mate.

Sorry if this was of no help to you.
Original post by l1985
Sorry if this was of no help to you.

Oh it was! Wasn't being sarcastic or anything in that reply.
Reply 7
Congratulation on your interview!, I'm not jealous at all...........:biggrin: All I have had so far is an acknowledgement from Leeds University and a recuring nightmare that no one will want me :afraid:
Original post by Pogkaku
This might not be the right place to ask this but those of you who are doing access courses, how do you know which unis to apply to if you don't know what grades you'll get? We're going to be spending a couple of weeks at college doing applications and all that stuff and I'm not sure if i'm going to be getting distinctions or merits so i've not got a clue where to apply. Of course I'm aiming for all distinctions but it might not be so easy.

You can try to cover all eventualities by applying for a range of universities with different requirements: a couple of aspirational ones that are asking for all or mostly distinctions, a couple with merit/distinction profile and one with a pass/merit profile. You don't have to pick your final two until early summer, when you will have a better idea of your grade profile. Don't, of course, apply to any university that you wouldn't be prepared to go to.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You can try to cover all eventualities by applying for a range of universities with different requirements: a couple of aspirational ones that are asking for all or mostly distinctions, a couple with merit/distinction profile and one with a pass/merit profile. You don't have to pick your final two until early summer, when you will have a better idea of your grade profile. Don't, of course, apply to any university that you wouldn't be prepared to go to.

Good advice.Thanks.

I literally had no idea about how the application process worked when I made that post but am doing a bit of research into it and it's becoming clearer.
Original post by Pogkaku
Good advice.Thanks.

I literally had no idea about how the application process worked when I made that post but am doing a bit of research into it and it's becoming clearer.

Good luck. If you haven't seen it yet, the UCAS search tool is really useful for finding universities that offer relevant courses, with their entry requirements.
https://digital.ucas.com/search

Hey there! I'm 22 and sent off my ucas back on October 6th and I've recieved 3 unconditional offers, recieved my first one within 2 days. However one of my choices is taking forever so it can all vary I guess. Anymore questions feel free to ask!
Original post by angelofessence
Hey there! I'm 22 and sent off my ucas back on October 6th and I've recieved 3 unconditional offers, recieved my first one within 2 days. However one of my choices is taking forever so it can all vary I guess. Anymore questions feel free to ask!

Omg you must be over the moon, I would take just one offer at the moment. I am tired of looking at my email every 5 minutes :biggrin:. What have you applied for? xx
Omg you must be over the moon, I would take just one offer at the moment. I am tired of looking at my email every 5 minutes :biggrin:. What have you applied for? xx

I've applied for Archaeology, I've got unconditional offers from York, Sheffield and Manchester, it's Newcastle that's taking forever to reply! I did a BTEC in business a few years back and got DDM, previously went on an economics degree at Hull uni however the uni (personally) sucked and the course was draining the life out of me so I left and took a couple of years out to find out what I love and now here I am! You'll get offers soon enough, it just all depends on what course you applied for I think, I think they might do it alphabetically possibly? If they do e-mail you (the unis) asking for documents don't leave it for ages like my friend did, he got rejected in the end! Wish you all the best! xx
Thank you, Iv'e gone for Education studies, I don't think it's such a popular course so I might be lucky. Congratulations on your offers, and good luck for the future. xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending