The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Im applying to durham uni is it worth living in college as i live 10 mins away

I am applying to durham university to study law
does anybody have an idea if i should live in college or stay at home as i live 10 mins away from durham uni
any advice ?

Scroll to see replies

defiently go live in the college rather than living at home even if you do live that close to the university
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah social life demands that you need to move out - you won't make new friends otherwise.
Depends what matters more to you- getting the whole student experience or saving a crap-ton of money. I deliberately didn't apply to unis nearby because it would've made financial sense for me to stay at home, which is the last thing I want.
First year stay at halls make friends. 2nd and 3rd year stay at parents home and say money.
Reply 5
Original post by Ecds
Yeah social life demands that you need to move out - you won't make new friends otherwise.

i was thinking more that i would get very easily distracted if i was to move in or is that not really a problem as i know durham would expect a lot academically of their students so i think if i was it may effect my grades or is this usually not rhe case ?
Reply 6
Original post by ellarooroo
Depends what matters more to you- getting the whole student experience or saving a crap-ton of money. I deliberately didn't apply to unis nearby because it would've made financial sense for me to stay at home, which is the last thing I want.

i was thinking more along the lines of if i was to stay at home i would be less likely to be distracted and id be able to concetrate on my studying as i think it may affect me academically if i was to move in and i live so close to the uni so im not really to sure as i know socailly it would be really good
Reply 7
The main experience of Durham is being part of the college system…
Reply 8
Original post by humanteaparty
First year stay at halls make friends. 2nd and 3rd year stay at parents home and say money.

I was thinking that the distraction having everyone around me in the first ear me affect my studying though or would this not be the case in the first year
Reply 9
Original post by Zxyn
The main experience of Durham is being part of the college system…

Ohhhh really i didnt realise it was the main experience of durham
would you say if i was to stay at home despite how closed i lived to the college i would be wasteing my time going to durham as i wouldnt be at the college
Reply 10
My boyfriend is at Durham and he is very academically focused; he's still able to balance social life and work :wink:
Original post by luke650
i was thinking more along the lines of if i was to stay at home i would be less likely to be distracted and id be able to concetrate on my studying as i think it may affect me academically if i was to move in and i live so close to the uni so im not really to sure as i know socailly it would be really good

If thats the worry then move out for 1st year and have a sick time, then move back in 2nd/3rd year and get your head down (although I don't know how valuable 1st year is at Durham for whatever course you're doing so maybe look into that before listening to anything I'm saying)
Reply 12
Original post by Ecds
My boyfriend is at Durham and he is very academically focused; he's still able to balance social life and work :wink:

ohh really i thought as i would be with everyone at whatever college i wouldnt be able to balance the 2 or it would be very hard to :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ellarooroo
If thats the worry then move out for 1st year and have a sick time, then move back in 2nd/3rd year and get your head down (although I don't know how valuable 1st year is at Durham for whatever course you're doing so maybe look into that before listening to anything I'm saying)

I wasnt to sure about how much the first year does matter i just presumed as durham is a fairly highly regarded uni it would matter a fair bit and a bit more than it would at other unis i would just be worried incase the work got on top of me while i was at college
Reply 14
Original post by luke650
Ohhhh really i didnt realise it was the main experience of durham
would you say if i was to stay at home despite how closed i lived to the college i would be wasteing my time going to durham as i wouldnt be at the college

Well you’d be getting a degree from a great university so I wouldn’t say it’s a waste but in terms of personal experience yes it’s a waste since it’s a missed opportunity. It’s what makes Durham unique compared to other universities. You’d just be missing out on a great experience which is unique to Durham
Reply 15
Original post by Zxyn
Well you’d be getting a degree from a great university so I wouldn’t say it’s a waste but in terms of personal experience yes it’s a waste since it’s a missed opportunity. It’s what makes Durham unique compared to other universities. You’d just be missing out on a great experience which is unique to Durham

I would just be worried incase the work got on top me of or i took my eye of the ball so to speak as i would be with everyone at college as i know a few of my friends who go to oxford and they have said it is intense
i presume durham and oxford college system is prietty similair
I know what you mean with me missinh out on a personal experience surely durham would allow me to stay late with my mates at college till late if i was to lets say stay at home as i live a 10 min dribe away
You live 10 mins away so you won't miss out on the social life really. I live an hour away so I've had a fairly hard time making friends, though I have many new ones now. Just make an extra effort to join societies and go out :smile:
Original post by luke650
I wasnt to sure about how much the first year does matter i just presumed as durham is a fairly highly regarded uni it would matter a fair bit and a bit more than it would at other unis i would just be worried incase the work got on top of me while i was at college

a quick google has told me that 1st year doesnt count towards final grades, you've just got to pass, so depends on how good your self control and grades are basically. I'd personally say move out if money is no issue- loads of other students get through first year living away from home. I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Live in a college. It is a unique experience where you will be part of a college community completely separate from the outside world. You can't get that if you commute in.
Reply 19
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Live in a college. It is a unique experience where you will be part of a college community completely separate from the outside world. You can't get that if you commute in.

would that college experience not distract me from my studies though and would it be much harder to socalise if i had to commute in even if i live so close to uni

Quick Reply

Latest