The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My homework average has increased to 99.2%, thanks everyone! Now I just need to find the errors in the grade 6 answers and the grade 9 answers :smile:
Original post by Loci Pi
My homework average has increased to 99.2%, thanks everyone! Now I just need to find the errors in the grade 6 answers and the grade 9 answers :smile:

I think it did not like the(2n - 1) because that could be negative if n = 0 [MathsWatch seems very fussy!)
Reply 22
Original post by Muttley79
I think it did not like the(2n - 1) because that could be negative if n = 0 [MathsWatch seems very fussy!)

Yes, it certainly is fussy. I dropped a mark yesterday because I put 1/2 instead of 0.5.
Reply 23
Has anyone found any mistakes in the vectors one?
Original post by Loci Pi
The next questions are on vectors and circle theorems - not my best topics. I have probably made a mistake on these ones.

Now you need to show one is the multiple of the other to show they are parallel - I'll check your vectors :smile:
Reply 25
Now you need to show one is the multiple of the other to show they are parallel - I'll check your vectors :smile:

I put this:
PQ = 3/2p + q
CB = 2PQ
PQ and CB are scalar multiples, so they are parallel.

But it is still incorrect according to MathsWatch.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi
I put this:
PQ = 3/2p + q
CB = 2PQ
PQ and CB are scalar multiples, so they are parallel.

But it is still incorrect according to MathsWatch.

I suspect it's being fussy again.

PQ = q + 3p/2

CB = 2q + 3p = 2 (q + 3p/2)

then what you've written - it may not like the 3/2p ... (3/2)p is better or 3p/2
Reply 27
It would frustrate me no end if I had to do maths homework on MathsWatch back when I was a student.

For now, teacher marked work >> AI marked work so teachers can keep their jobs :smile:
Reply 28
I've been on mathswatch for 4 consecutive hours. I'd better get a 9 in the mock tomorrow lol.
Original post by Loci Pi
Spotting mistakes on mathswatch has been much better revision for tomorrow's mock exam than anything out of a textbook lol :smile:

Thanks everyone :smile:

You've misspelt segment ... second statement not needed?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30
You've misspelt segment ...

Thanks. I corrected it and it now says I have 2/3 marks.
Reply 31
Original post by Notnek
Also, please post maths questions in the maths forum in future :smile:

Seems like it's more of a "how do I insert maths according to semi-arbitrary notation rules" question than maths, judging from the above... why would teachers impose this tediousness on students? :s-smilie:
Original post by Loci Pi
Thanks. I corrected it and it now says I have 2/3 marks.

Try deleting the second statment
Reply 33
Original post by Zacken
Seems like it's more of a "how do I insert maths according to semi-arbitrary notation rules" question than maths, judging from the above... why would teachers impose this tediousness on students? :s-smilie:

I think it's so that they don't have to mark the homework themselves :frown:
Original post by Zacken

No idea - Mymaths is not so fussy.

I prefer to mark stuff in the 'old fashioned' way ... when students do GCSE on the computer then I might change.
Reply 35
Try deleting the second statment

No luck there :frown: But thanks for trying.
Reply 36
No idea - Mymaths is not so fussy.

I prefer to mark stuff in the 'old fashioned' way ... when students do GCSE on the computer then I might change.

I'm alright with computers marking some off the more standard stuff, multiple-choice, straightforward numerical answers questions, etc... but making them mark proofs is completely against the spirit of mathematics and a definite step in the wrong direction, I think.
Reply 37
At least I feel very prepared now for tomorrow's exam :smile:
Original post by Loci Pi
No luck there :frown: But thanks for trying.

Try writing a reason for your last statement [sides opposite equal angles of an isoscles triangle]
Reply 39
Original post by Zacken

The videos are good and the online worksheets can be very useful for certain topics but I really don't like its attempts to mark working as shown in this thread. That should be left to a teacher.