The Student Room Group

How is a Cambridge applicant compared to the rest of their cohort?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakey_99
Yeah they say that but realistically what is going to happen? Are they just going to give out offers to people with 10/10 at interview and 9.0 on the admission assessment?

You shouldn't forget that there is a large minority of people applying with non-UK qualifications so they are used to assessing people without UMS.
Yes maybe so, but for the mass majority of applicants without UMS/AS... my point resides
Original post by Maker
Cambridge is full of white, rich, posh people.

Perhaps. But its a lower % private school kids than Bristol, St Andrews and Durham..
A love and dedication to your subject is pretty important. I mean the work is heavy, so you have to find enjoyment in it to succeed.
To be fair I never fully understood the % of private school students being a factor when choosing universities. I know it has to do with the different demographics, but I don't think student should necessarily feel discouraged from applying simply because the percentage might be higher. Many schools are private but not posh.

But then again, never been to a British private school. :rolleyes:
My college wants my all my AS raw marks, even for english which I've dropped XD. When I asked them if they asses candidates based on them they said they want the most info possible so maybe it will be just seeing if A* predictions are accurate. I got 15% above boundary in physics and 20% in chem but if I had got the same mark on this years a-level papers, I would have gotten A* in chem and just missed A* in physics although maybe the a-level papers had less awkward questions.
Original post by black1blade
My college wants my all my AS raw marks, even for english which I've dropped XD. When I asked them if they asses candidates based on them they said they want the most info possible so maybe it will be just seeing if A* predictions are accurate. I got 15% above boundary in physics and 20% in chem but if I had got the same mark on this years a-level papers, I would have gotten A* in chem and just missed A* in physics although maybe the a-level papers had less awkward questions.

Really? which college?
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Really? which college?

Christ's.
Reply 28
Yeah they say that but realistically what is going to happen? Are they just going to give out offers to people with 10/10 at interview and 9.0 on the admission assessment?

Basically yes. Someone with a very strong interview performance, and very strong admissions assessment and strong predicted grades and submitted work, etc, etc but with 0 A*s at GCSE is extremely likely to get an Offer, yes. The number of people fitting that profile is extremely small and Cambridge would be very happy to take them all. Your most recent academic performance is much more important than what you were doing 2 years ago.

Yes maybe so, but for the mass majority of applicants without UMS/AS... my point resides

Still wrong. Cambridge is very used to assessing applicants without UMS. There was no UMS at all a few years ago, and when UMS was in place approx 40% of applicants didn't have it (IB, Highers, etc, etc).

They have, though, introduced Admissions Assessments either pre- or at-interview for a large number of courses to add further information to applications, and partly to make up for the loss of UMS information.

GCSEs are taken into account, but primarily only within the context of your school's overall performance. And even then are by no means the most important part of an application.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Kenneye_j
What specifically is used to determine who is more competitive than other candidates? How do Cambridge justify that one applicant is a stronger applicant than another, if they don't have the same measures of strengths. What if one applicant doesn't have AS where as another one does (with strong raw marks), how do they decide who is stronger then? Are applicants simply compared by their GCSEs?

The reason I'm asking is because Cambridge states you are compared with the the rest of the cohort, but what does this mean exactly...

This article will give you an idea. Note it's a few years old now and the detail may vary by college (or subject) but it's still considered pretty accurate:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work
Reply 30
Original post by black1blade

Interesting. I wonder how many people applying to Christa did linear AS, and whether or not they will still ask for it next year.
Reply 31
Interesting. I wonder how many people applying to Christa did linear AS, and whether or not they will still ask for it next year.

It will be the same proportion as at other colleges. Most subjects are now linear in England.

And it's quite possible other colleges also ask for it this year (some did last year) and will do so again next year.

Colleges want as much information as possible. But they don't use raw marks in quite the same way as UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by AllonsEnfants!
Actually, I think you'll find that Cambridge is under pressure from the government to meet government targets for percentage intake of BME and state students. If anyone is being discriminated against at Cambridge, it'll be white, independently- educated students (the government would like to see their numbers at Cambridge reduced)

The fact the govt needs to pressure Cambridge to let in more BMEs shows the selection criteria used by the university is not picking the best candidates.

It would be interesting to look at the backgrounds of the academics doing the selection, I would be surprised if the majority of them were not white, middle /upper class and well off.
Reply 33
Original post by Doonesbury

And it's quite possible other colleges also ask for it this year (some did last year) and will do so again next year.

But they don't use raw marks in quite the same way as UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what you're saying is some colleges won't continue asking them (e.g. next year) as fewer applicants are doing AS?

But they are still taken account of right? It's not like high marks in linear AS are going to make or break an application, but I'd thought that they'd probably be pretty useful still (more useful than GCSE, considering Cambridge care a lot about your recent academic progress, i.e AS)
Reply 34
So what you're saying is some colleges won't continue asking them (e.g. next year) as fewer applicants are doing AS?

But they are still taken account of right? It's not like high marks in linear AS are going to make or break an application, but I'd thought that they'd probably be pretty useful still (more useful than GCSE, considering Cambridge care a lot about your recent academic progress, i.e AS)

Fewer and fewer are doing ASs. And those that do them know they don't contribute to the final A-level so sometimes don't take them as seriously as they would have when they were modular. And also knowing that some universities (eg Bristol) don't use them at all now.

But yes everything is taken into account and I would not be surprised if more colleges ask for raw marks rather than fewer, but only to advantage candidates rather than disadvantage them. e.g. when a candidate has "poor" GCSEs having strong AS marks would demonstrate an upward academic trajectory. Cambridge likes that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Maker
The fact the govt needs to pressure Cambridge to let in more BMEs shows the selection criteria used by the university is not picking the best candidates.

It's not so much that, it's also about getting more BMEs (or other underrepresented groups) to *apply* in the first place.

Hence why they invest so much money and time in outreach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2016_cycle.pdf

You can look at the backgrounds of all 2016 entrants in the above document on the Cambridge University website. The vast majority of entrants are state educated.

For applications from Home students attending UK schools/colleges the proportions of acceptances by school/college type are:
Maintained 62.5% (62.0% in the previous cycle)
Independent 37.5% (38.0% in the previous cycle)

Cambridge has the problem that they desperately want to increase the number of state and BME students (especially black students) to meet government targets and so avoid losing £millions in funding, but they have to balance this requirement with the need to maintain standards of entry to stay at the top of world rankings. The two are often incompatible.

The students who lose out are the privately educated white male students who Cambridge are forced to discriminate against. Discrimination is bad whichever way you look at it.

The primary challenge is to get more BMEs to apply in the first place.

Cambridge's latest OFFA statement:
https://www.offa.org.uk/agreements/University%20of%20Cambridge%201718.pdf
Reply 37
According to official stats around 30% of applicants in 2016 were from a BME background which is way in excess in of their representation in the general UK population. I therefore think it is unfair to suggest that BME applicants are slow in coming forward.

I also think is is unhelpful to foster the impression that Cambridge is somehow discriminating against BME students in their admissions process, when in fact the reverse would seem to be the case.

I think you'll find that 30% includes Internationals. And if it doesn't it's the black community that is definitely underapplying. And if they do apply they tend to be less successful at getting offers than the university average because many are applying for the most competitive courses.

But yes agreed. They definitely don't discriminate against.

Edit: here's the data...
Screenshot_20171019-103902.png

One small victory... more black students admitted than Etonians... :wink:

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/13366
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
I think you'll find that 30% includes Internationals. And if it doesn't it's the black community that is definitely underapplying. And unfortunately if they do apply they tend to be less successful at getting offers than average.

But yes agreed. They definitely don't discriminate against.

Edit: here's the data...
Screenshot_20171019-103902.png

One small victory... more black students admitted than Etonians... :wink:

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/13366

One also has to think about the courses people choose to apply to. Students from under-represented backgrounds disproportionately apply to come of the most competitive courses.
Reply 39
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
One also has to think about the courses people choose to apply to. Students from under-represented backgrounds disproportionately apply to come of the most competitive courses.

Indeed yes (I'll amend my post to save confusion).

Also to OP: Why 14 black male Cambridge students posed for this photo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending