The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zacken
I'm alright with computers marking some off the more standard stuff, multiple-choice, straightforward numerical answers questions, etc... but making them mark proofs is completely against the spirit of mathematics and a definite step in the wrong direction, I think.

I strongly agree after having spent 4 hours today doing 1 piece of maths homework. An average piece of homework on paper usually only takes me 20 - 25 minutes.
Original post by Loci Pi
Can someone help me finish this question because I'm stuck (not mathswatch being annoying)? Thanks :smile:

angle SOQ = 92 [angle at the centre of a circle is double that at the circumference]

SInce SOQ is not 90 SQ is not a diameter [angle in a semi circle is 90]
Reply 42
Original post by Muttley79
Try writing a reason for your last statement [sides opposite equal angles of an isoscles triangle]

Still won't work, but thanks :smile:
Original post by Loci Pi
Still won't work, but thanks :smile:

I think itis looking for a reason - try [sides opposite equal angles of an isosceles triangle are equal]

Irritating in the extreme!
Reply 44
angle SOQ = 92 [angle at the centre of a circle is double that at the circumference]

SInce SOQ is not 90 SQ is not a diameter [angle in a semi circle is 90]

Thank you it worked :smile:
I just need 1 more mark from that last circle theorems question and then this homework (or randomly changing mathematical notations questions) is over!
Reply 45
I think itis looking for a reason - try [sides opposite equal angles of an isosceles triangle are equal]

I might to think of a completely new proof for it, such as 180 degrees in triangle. I know the 2 marks were for saying alternate segment theorem.
Reply 46
The homework average has now increased to 99.8%. If only mathswatch could learn to round it to 1 significant figure. Thanks everyone. I will try the circle theorem question again.
Reply 47
This is what the 2 marks were for:

<BAC = x (alternate segment theorem)
<ABC = x
Reply 48
Original post by Loci Pi
This is what the 2 marks were for:

<BAC = x (alternate segment theorem)
<ABC = x

So have you reached 100%?
Reply 49
Original post by Notnek
So have you reached 100%?

Yes, finally :smile:
Reply 50

PRSOM :smile: I doubt many people would have had the patience to help Loci Pi get to 100%.
Reply 51
I just realised I spelt triangle wrong but still got the mark... seriously mathswatch...
Reply 52
Thanks everyone. PRSOM (I only just found out what that means). I will speak to my teacher next lesson and ask for no more proofs on mathswatch lol.
Reply 53
I think that is enough mathswatch for one day...
Reply 54
Original post by Loci Pi
Thanks everyone. PRSOM (I only just found out what that means). I will speak to my teacher next lesson and ask for no more proofs on mathswatch lol.

I suppose since you've already got an A^ in further maths, your teacher is giving you the even bigger challenge of getting 100% on a set of MathsWatch proof exercises :smile:
Original post by Notnek
PRSOM :smile: I doubt many people would have had the patience to help Loci Pi get to 100%.

I sensed and shared the frustration of a poor system :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by Notnek
I suppose since you've already got an A^ in further maths, your teacher is giving you the even bigger challenge of getting 100% on a set of MathsWatch proof exercises :smile:

Probably! The mathswatch proofs were definitely harder.
Original post by Loci Pi
Try expanding the brackets out fully (for example x^2 +5x +5x +25 then simplifying)

Try adding a new sentence at the end (Hence [insert expression from the beginning] is a multiple of 4 for all positive integer values of n)

If the question says multiple, use the word multiple in your answer. If the question says divisible, use the word divisible in your answer. MathsWatch is fussy like that.

Good luck :smile:

Edit: Also try removing words like simplify, you only need the algebra and the sentences at the end I think.

Thanks:smile: It's still not working so I think I will just have to explain to my teacher tomorrow.
Reply 58
Original post by blueberrypi
Can anyone help me with this one please??

Maybe try using the difference of two squares instead.

(n+5)^2 - (n+3)^2

= (n + 5 + n + 3)(n + 5 - n - 3)
= (2n+8)(2)
= 4(n+4)
EX

Latest