The Student Room Group

Will being homosexual send me to hell after death? Will my family hate me?

Scroll to see replies

"When a person (who is gay) arrives before Jesus, Jesus certainly will not say, 'Go away because you are homosexual'"
- Quote from Pope Francis.
"Who am I to Judge? If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"
- Another quote from Pope Francis.
Reply 41
Original post by FredJhon
Hello everyone. I am a Christian however I am also a homosexual. I am afraid that my dad (who is extremely Catholic) would disown me if I came out to my family. I have tried on multiple occasions to cure myself but I cannot suppress my feelings for the male gender. Is this a trial from God? Or will I be sent to hell?

This is my take on your dilemma (Btw I'm a christian too). No one can tell you whether or not you are going to hell. God is the ultimate judge and the only one that matters. I'm assuming you have some Christian values since you were raised in a Catholic house so just focus on God and what He has to say about it. Although it may be harsh, forget about what your family has to say, no one is in a position to judge because we all sin. Pray about it and really spend time God, it won't be easy but don't let that feeling of condemnation stop you from coming to Him. It sounds cliched but God really does love you, no matter what. Tune everyone else out and focus on Him.
:smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Student-95
I already answered that - we have free will. Creating =/= Controlling.
Your parents create and guide you but it's not all their fault if, despite their teachings, you decide to become a thief.

Your parents, and mine, are not omnipotent gods.

Besides, someone becoming a thief is certainly partly the parents' fault.
Original post by _Fergo
Your parents, and mine, are not omnipotent gods.

Besides, someone becoming a thief is certainly partly the parents' fault.

Never said they were. I was merely pointing out that there is a difference between creating/guiding and controlling someone's every action.

Why? If someone is brought up well and taught that theft is wrong but they go off and do it anyway, why are the parents responsible?
Reply 44
Even the most apparently homophobic sections of the Bible (I'm assuming, since you seem to be pretty devout, that you take the Bible relatively seriously) don't actually mention Hell. You do also have to take those verses - and the Bible as a whole, really, but that's another conversation - with a quite substantial pinch of salt; they were written by a society whose religion, at that time, was a relatively small one. They were desperate to increase the birth rate among Christians, and the most effective way to do that was simply to ban anything which threatened the success of this objective. And who knows, maybe these people really did believe that this was what God intended, but either way, over time, what was largely a pragmatic consideration was warped into a matter of morality (in the same manner as abortion and pre-marital sex).
Original post by Sammylou40
For us as humans, of course not.
But in terms of faith and judgement from God a sin is a sin, regardless.

Ummmmm no it's not, there are differences in the degrees of sin, some sins are worse than others.
Original post by FredJhon
Hello everyone. I am a Christian however I am also a homosexual. I am afraid that my dad (who is extremely Catholic) would disown me if I came out to my family. I have tried on multiple occasions to cure myself but I cannot suppress my feelings for the male gender. Is this a trial from God? Or will I be sent to hell?

Hell was invented by Augustine of Hippo in the 4th century, adapted from the earlier beliefs of non-Christian religions. There is no mention of hell in the New Testament and don't let the lies of the Catholic Church convince you that there is. The Jews had no concept of hell either.
Pretty sure the bible says that god loves you whoever you are. That extends to gays too. I personally don't believe in god but if I did I don't think he would send you to hell for something you can't control. Don't worry about it :smile:
Yes it will
Reply 49
Never said they were. I was merely pointing out that there is a difference between creating/guiding and controlling someone's every action.

Why? If someone is brought up well and taught that theft is wrong but they go off and do it anyway, why are the parents responsible?

That difference does not apply to god, who knows everything that has, is and will happen(ed). It is massively contradictory that god knows what you'll become and whether you'll succeed in going to hell/heaven yet he's somehow not influencing your life at all (since he 'created' you...). Even if we go past that, it makes me wonder why one would believe in such a god that would make his subjects suffer so much just for his joy (since he knows they'll fail yet still 'creates' them. But that is another topic.

That is a massive generalisation that I cannot take seriously. There are many factors which may come up, such as neglect, too much pressure and whatnot. Parents may subjectively think their teachings are good but they may not be.

Nonetheless, again, god literally knows how you'll act, and he knew that from infinity before you were born (according to doctrine). These excuses do not work in this case.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 50
And a little note on the family thing: your parents need to understand, if they don't already, that nothing they say or do is ever going to change your identity (and nor should it!). A parent's love for their child is meant to be unconditional, even if that means putting that child before their religious convictions.
Original post by _Fergo
That difference does not apply to god, who knows everything that has, is and will happen(ed). It is massively contradictory that god knows what you'll become and whether you'll succeed in going to hell/heaven yet he's somehow not influencing your life at all (since he 'created' you...). Even if we go past that, it makes me wonder why one would believe in such a god that would make his subjects suffer so much just for his joy (since he knows they'll fail yet still 'creates' them. But that is another topic.

That is a massive generalisation that I cannot take seriously. There are many factors which may come up, such as neglect, too much pressure and whatnot. Parents may subjectively think their teachings are good but they may not be.

Nonetheless, again, god literally knows how you'll act, and he knew that from infinity before you were born (according to doctrine). These excuses do not work in this case.

Free. Will.
Giving people the liberty to make their own choices isn't cruel at all. If we were all controlled then we wouldn't really be humans at all.

Instead of a child would you rather have a robot that only did exactly as it was commanded and was incapable of free thought or action?
What kind of question is this? No one knows because no one here has died or is God themselves to tell you where you go, ugh.

And no one here knows your family to answer if they'll hate you...
Reply 53
Free. Will.
Giving people the liberty to make their own choices isn't cruel at all. If we were all controlled then we wouldn't really be humans at all.

Instead of a child would you rather have a robot that only did exactly as it was commanded and was incapable of free thought or action?

'Free. Will' is not really free when god already knows ALL our actions, past, present and future. Not difficult to grasp I thought.

As above, no such thing of free action when god already knows everything you'll do. We are essentially robots to him, everything we do is predicted by him. But this point of yours is irrelevant and, frankly, very weak regardless.
Oh bless you! Homosexuality is not something you can cure, and it is certainly not a sin. It is simply the way of life. Whether you're born heterosexual or homosexual does not matter, it's your happiness. If your parents can't accept what will make you truly happy then they aren't very supportive, and it shouldn't matter to you what they think. For as I said, it's not a sin. You're not breaking the law, and you're not sick; it's not something you can cure. Before you can truly get your parents to accept your sexuality, you need to accept it yourself.
Original post by _Fergo
'Free. Will' is not really free when god already knows ALL our actions, past, present and future. Not difficult to grasp I thought.

As above, no such thing of free action when god already knows everything you'll do. We are essentially robots to him, everything we do is predicted by him. But this point of yours is irrelevant and, frankly, very weak regardless.

No, you have choices to make which will take your journey on one of an infinite number of paths.
Reply 56
No, you have choices to make which will take your journey on one of an infinite number of paths.

No. All choices were predicted and in the content of a creator this is not free choice.

It's like creating a robot knowing full well its behaviour and saying it has free choice. And this is not even about god who is omnipotent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
No. All choices were predicted and in the content of a creator this is not free choice.

It's like creating a robot knowing full well its behaviour and saying it has free choice. And this is not even about god who is omnipotent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is an age-old debate which theologians have got out of by saying that human thought is unknowable as we all have true free will. Therefore, God could not know how humans would behave and all his punishments were reactive.
Reply 58
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
This is an age-old debate which theologians have got out of by saying that human thought is unknowable as we all have true free will. Therefore, God could not know how humans would behave and all his punishments were reactive.

No such thing. If that applies then god is not omniscient as per the doctrine. I've never heard any theologian use that line of defence personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
No such thing. If that applies then god is not omniscient as per the doctrine. I've never heard any theologian use that line of defence personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That just means you haven't done your research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending