The Student Room Group

Killer drivers to receive life sentences in law change

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usualsuspects
Same punishment for "texting while driving" and committing a terrorist attack with guns? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Killing someone while texting and driving and killing someone premeditated, terrorist or otherise in my opinion should carry a similar penalty. Both show lack of respect for life.
I don't like it. Life sentences should be for people beyond rehabilitation or very serious cases (terrorist attack, serial killer). You shouldn't spend your life in jail because you killed a person while driving drunk. There is no intention or premeditation and the culprit was not reasoning and acting with complete consciousness.

"Life" sentences vary rarely mean "Life in jail". it is a common misconception. 99% of "Lifers" are out in less than 10 years.

it would be helpful if the term "Life sentence" was replaced by "Level 3 sentence" or similar.
Reply 82
Original post by the bear
"Life" sentences vary rarely mean "Life in jail". it is a common misconception. 99% of "Lifers" are out in less than 10 years.

it would be helpful if the term "Life sentence" was replaced by "Level 3 sentence" or similar.

True!
True!

people confuse it with "Death sentence" which does what it says on the tin.

:yep:
I think it is excessive. Unless there was intent to drive recklessly (speeding, drinking, on their phone) then its important to acknowledge mistakes happen. While it's awful for families, is throwing the book at someone who is driving back from a late shift and has a delayed reaction to someone crossing the street worthy of life in prison?
Original post by the bear
people confuse it with "Death sentence" which does what it says on the tin.

:yep:

Not in the UK when it existed and not in the US now.

Approximately 1/3 of people sentenced to death in the UK in the 20th century were reprieved and an American death sentence prisoner is more likely to die in his bed than in the chair.
Reply 86
Not particularly concerned by the idea of dying, maybe even careless. I've been driven home by "drunk" friends. It depends on the level of drunkenness: if it's fading away then no problem for me at all. My friends are more reckless, once I was totally drunk and in order to have me fit for driving they made me have a short refreshing swim in the pool. It kind of worked, although I scratched my father's new car. It always makes for interesting stories and near-death experiences which seem fun when you are too drunk to realise the danger and once you survive to narrate them.

Why don't you stop being so selfish and start having your near-death experiences on private roads instead. I think you're the one that lacks sympathy here and it's drivers like you who this law is targeting. I advise you to get some help for your own sake at the very least as you've stated you would rather die than spend life in prison.

Original post by That Bearded Man
I think it is excessive. Unless there was intent to drive recklessly (speeding, drinking, on their phone) then its important to acknowledge mistakes happen. While it's awful for families, is throwing the book at someone who is driving back from a late shift and has a delayed reaction to someone crossing the street worthy of life in prison?

I am a bit confused. The three examples you gave are pretty much exactly what I got from the OP, as that is who this is targetting. I don't think this will extend punishments for the scenario in your last sentence. I hope I understood correctly.
Original post by MrDystopia
Drivers who kill someone in the most serious cases of dangerous and careless driving will now face life sentences.

Causing death by dangerous driving, or death by careless driving while drunk or on drugs, will carry the top-level punishment.

Jail terms in cases involving mobile phones, speeding or street racing will now be the equivalent of manslaughter, the Ministry of Justice said.

Road safety charity Brake said it was a "major victory" for victims' families. The move follows criticism that sentences for those convicted over road deaths were too lenient.

Barrister Matthew Scott told BBC Radio 5 live the change would not increase road safety.

Announcing the change, justice minister Dominic Raab said: "Based on the seriousness of the worst cases, the anguish of the victims' families, and maximum penalties for other serious offences such as manslaughter, we intend to introduce life sentences of imprisonment for those who wreck lives by driving dangerously, drunk or high on drugs."

A new offence of causing serious injury through careless driving is also to be created.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41627240

What are your thoughts on this? I certainly feel that the sentencing for killing someone whilst driving poorly was far too lenient, so I'm happy that such a crime is to be punished more adequately (in my eyes) from now on.

Wonder if cyclists who ride while drunk, on drugs or dangerously will get life sentences? A cyclist at speed can kill a pedestrian or cause vehicles to swerve leading to a fatal pile up.
Or it’s it once again an attack solely on motorists?
Reply 88
Original post by RVNmax
Why don't you stop being so selfish and start having your near-death experiences on private roads instead. I think you're the one that lacks sympathy here and it's drivers like you who this law is targeting. I advise you to get some help for your own sake at the very least as you've stated you would rather die than spend life in prison.

I am a bit confused. The three examples you gave are pretty much exactly what I got from the OP, as that is who this is targetting. I don't think this will extend punishments for the scenario in your last sentence. I hope I understood correctly.

I'm fond of freedom and not afraid of death, it seems perfectly rational to prefer suicide to a life in prison.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Wonder if cyclists who ride while drunk, on drugs or dangerously will get life sentences? A cyclist at speed can kill a pedestrian or cause vehicles to swerve leading to a fatal pile up.
Or it’s it once again an attack solely on motorists?

There is an intention to change the law on dangerous cycling as well. The problem there isn't sentence length but rather an inadequate list of offences
Personally I think it's surprising that this wasn't the case already.
I'm fond of freedom and not afraid of death, it seems perfectly rational to prefer suicide to a life in prison.

Do other peoples lives not matter?
Reply 92

Well that's debatable, but I wasn't intending to get into that debate. Rather I meant to say that since that is your stance, you should mend your ways if you would rather not be in that position (where you have to make a choice between prison or suicide).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending