The Student Room Group

Work mistake

So, I was doing a work project a few months ago and it had finished and someone that's left work now told me to shred everything - so I did.

Anyway, today someone came in and asked about the folder THAT I SHREDDED already bc they needed the details from it. So I just sat there panicking and my mind froze and me being the stupid person I am didn't say straight away that I've SHREDDED EVERYTHING. So I was just like lol no, I don't know where it's gone..

I thought everyone would be like well okay, it's not a big issue we don't need it. Lol, no they didn't say that. Instead, what they have done, is emailed my manager (who is not in today) and asked where the folder is. You might think not a problem bc manager doesn't know either. WELL, you are wrong.

My manager know's I'm the only one who has something to do with the folder, and it has been on my desk for months. SHE WILL KNOW IT WAS ME. And she will ask where it is, and then what do I say - bc in my previous paragraph - idiot over here said I don't know where it is so how can I just come out with WAIT GUYS, I SHREDDED EVERYTHING LOL I KNEW WHERE IT WAS ALL ALONG.

Anyway, obvs not serious work issue and it's not a big deal but i'm just more worried bc i said i didn't know where it was purely out of panic. So, advice when my manager comes and asks where it is? pls :frown:(((((
Reply 1
Literally just own up. Try and get your manager alone and explain the situation, that you were told to shred it ect and then panicked when asked about it. I think you'll only dig yourself into a bigger hole if you don't.
Resign maybe? XD
I wouldn’t sit around and wait for the manager to return to work.

Go to the person who requested the folder and be honest with them. Say the person who left the company told you to shred the documents in the folder which you did. When you were asked where the folder is now, you panicked and said you didn’t know as you thought you may get into trouble, Now you have had time to think about it, you realise this was a mistake and you have come forward to put it right. Hands up you got this wrong but you apologise.

Honesty really is the best policy here before the manager returns to work.
Fess up before your manager comes back. 'Sorry, I was thinking about a different folder. Yes, I remember the one you mean. It got shredded because xxx told me to shred it. Sorry about the mix-up'.

Do you have an email or post-it telling you to shred it?
Reply 6
When your manager asks you about the file, you could say --

"Ahhh were you guys talking about that file? Oh I got confused with the other one I was working on. Sorry I was told we didn't need that file anymore so to clean the space up and it so doesn't get mixed with other important documents, as it had private info[(don't know might apply to which industry or line of work you are in)] I actually disposed of the file in a safe way."

Do you guys want any particular info from it, maybe I can work with the person who had created the file to research and draw up the info again if you want?"

Think about if that could help your case, maybe?
As a general rule in employment, never shred anything that forms a record and isn't obviously rubbish (or an unused draft), and do so only with a written instruction (which you keep, obviously). Records are always likely to needed or useful in the future, and there may be legal requirements to keep them you are unaware of.
Reply 8
Thanks for all your advice! I think what I'm gonna do (as no one has mentioned the folder again today) is wait till Monday and act like I didn't know it was that folder they were talking about and then just say casually that I've shredded it all. It's not really important documents, they just needed a few addresses from it.
On the other hand some industries require disposal of documents within a six month period if it has personal data. It all depends what it is.
Original post by Duncan2012
Fess up before your manager comes back. 'Sorry, I was thinking about a different folder. Yes, I remember the one you mean. It got shredded because xxx told me to shred it. Sorry about the mix-up'.

Do you have an email or post-it telling you to shred it?

I did have a post it note but shredded that as well LOL
Original post by Knightoflogic

I almost burst out laughing in the office at this, I had to go out the room :five:
Original post by Anonymous
So, I was doing a work project a few months ago and it had finished and someone that's left work now told me to shred everything - so I did.

Anyway, today someone came in and asked about the folder THAT I SHREDDED already bc they needed the details from it. So I just sat there panicking and my mind froze and me being the stupid person I am didn't say straight away that I've SHREDDED EVERYTHING. So I was just like lol no, I don't know where it's gone..

I thought everyone would be like well okay, it's not a big issue we don't need it. Lol, no they didn't say that. Instead, what they have done, is emailed my manager (who is not in today) and asked where the folder is. You might think not a problem bc manager doesn't know either. WELL, you are wrong.

My manager know's I'm the only one who has something to do with the folder, and it has been on my desk for months. SHE WILL KNOW IT WAS ME. And she will ask where it is, and then what do I say - bc in my previous paragraph - idiot over here said I don't know where it is so how can I just come out with WAIT GUYS, I SHREDDED EVERYTHING LOL I KNEW WHERE IT WAS ALL ALONG.

Anyway, obvs not serious work issue and it's not a big deal but i'm just more worried bc i said i didn't know where it was purely out of panic. So, advice when my manager comes and asks where it is? pls :frown:(((((

Just say originally you thought they were asking for a different file but once you have found out which folder they were asking for you have remembered that someone told you to shred it best to just say that if they're gonna end up finding out anyways
As a slight aside, don't underestimate the importance of personal data and other information in the workplace. There's new legislation coming in next year which means organisations will have to be a lot more careful about what they can collect, store, how long for, who's responsible for what, and potentially open them up to multi-million pound fines if they get things wrong. Organisations should have retention schedules which tell you how long certain information needs to be kept for, and if someone asks you to shred/burn something before that time then you could be in big trouble.
Reply 14
Another thing to take note is that when you screw up, it's best to own up right away rather than you being found out and being in even deeper trouble.
Original post by UWS
Another thing to take note is that when you screw up, it's best to own up right away rather than you being found out and being in even deeper trouble.

Yeah I know, but I just didn't think about it, i just automatically panicked and just sat there not saying anything and then after I was like WHY DIDN'T I JUST SAY IT THERE THAT I SHREDDED IT lol. Also didn't think they were gonna email my manager bc they said it's not a big deal that they can't find it! My and my awkwardness, arrrghh!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending