The Student Room Group

Trump/Mexico - Wall Made Of Sponge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think the wall will draw a lot of illegals into the US from Mexico to work on the wall. So rather than deterring illegal immigration, it could encourage it.
Original post by VCBCCVBN
The prototypes show the wall is in the process of being completed,a big beautiful wall it we be,you'll in time

Trump getting a few construction companies to erect a piece of the potential wall design doesn't even come close to proving the wall will happen. No real funds have been allocated, the government is yet to acquire the necessary permissions and land, the necessary infrastructure is not in place. This is like me digging a 2ft hole in my back garden as proof that I'm.capable of building a moat for Buckingham Palace.
Reply 22
Original post by zhog
Look, I mean a proper ditch. 800 feet wide, whatever. 400 deep.

1) How much would that cost? Where would the spoil go?

Original post by zhog
How much manning do you need for that? No tunnels or jumping over.

2) Boats. Or just swimming. And if there's no water then people can climb down, walk along, and climb up.
Original post by Doonesbury
1) How much would that cost? Where would the spoil go?

I don't know how much it would cost. depends on what type of ditch to make it. We do know the wall costs a lot, we'd have to compare estimates. The spoil could be used to form a wall either side of the ditch!

2) Boats. Or just swimming. And if there's no water then people can climb down, walk along, and climb up.

No water and if you make it deep enough climbing down or up would be a lot harder than to negotiate this wall. Really, it's just an off-hand thought but no matter what angle we put to it... I probably would go for the ditch. The Panama Canal was built by hand, they found a way to get rid of the spoil. Tunnels are out. Fill the ditch with H2SO4.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by zhog
I don't know how much it would cost. depends on what type of ditch to make it. We do know the wall costs a lot, we'd have to compare estimates. the spoil could be used to form a wall next either side of the ditch!

No water and if you make it deep enough climbing down or up would be a lot harder than to negotiate this wall. Really, it's just an off-hand thought but no matter what angle we put to it... I probably would go for the ditch. The Panama Canal was built by hand.

It would costs many hundreds of millions, per mile.

The Panama Canal is 48 miles long. How long would this be? About 2,000 miles.

You have no concept of the complexity.
Original post by VirgoStrain
Moron, that would destroy the environment. Unless there happens to be a Grand Canyon along the entire border the barrier will be above ground

A ditch would destroy the environment more than a wall? Why does the barrier have to be above ground, is this a religious matter or something?
It would costs many hundreds of millions, per mile.

You simply don't know what it might cost, we haven't even settled on any measurements yet. it is a perfectly good counter-argument and probably the only one that can make the wall a better option, the costing. In terms of effectiveness, a ditch would be better.

You have no concept of the complexity.

$21.6 billion dollars is one of the estimates for the current project, we just have to wonder if the ditch would cost more or less. Look, it's not going to happen so let's just forget it.
Reply 27
Original post by zhog
You simply don't know what it might cost, we haven't even settled on any measurements yet. it is a perfectly good counter-argument and probably the only one that can make the wall a better option, the costing. In terms of effectiveness, a ditch would be better.

$21.6 billion dollars is one of the estimates for the current project, we just have to wonder if the ditch would cost more or less. Look, it's not going to happen so let's just forget it.

The 48 miles of the Panama Canal is estimated to have cost (in current money) about $15 billion. So your ditch would be $625 billion.

A bargain.
The 48 miles of the Panama Canal is estimated to have cost (in current money) about $15 billion. So your ditch would be $625 billion.

A bargain.

Ok, it was just a look at the effectiveness of different methods. Have it cheap then, go chase them in the fields once they've climbed over or tunneled under.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending