The Student Room Group

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I don't believe that's true. I was smacked occasionally but I mostly used to be punished by not being allowed to watch my favourite cartoons or taking my sega megadrive away from me which was far more effective than a smack which lasted about 10 seconds.

Do you have the same brain & personality as every other kid?

Let me tell you my story. When my parents took away my stuff/television shows I would throw tantrums, and the only thing that worked was to discipline me and I quickly learned.

Anecdotal evidence is useless.

Every human being is different and learns differently. That includes children.
(edited 6 years ago)
Good, looking forward to this being rolled out across the rest of the UK.

I've worked with children, never before felt the need to strike them in order to maintain discipline.
It's baffling that some of you think a little disciplining can be detrimental.

i'm not going to explain my viewpoint, if you don't understand then you never will.

I just want to finish off by saying that disciplining your child does not make you a bad parent.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
For all the people that think it's ok to smack your child or disagree with it being banned, why is it ok to smack a child but not an adult? If I hit or slap an adult I'll get arrested, if I smack a defenceless child that's ok is it? Something doesn't quite seem right here...

It's to teach a child a valid lesson. Adults should have learned the method isn't ad effective on adults as it is children. If it was, I'd be all for it.
Depending on the circumstances, spanking is a viable option, don't see why it should be banned.
(edited 6 years ago)
Nicola Sturgeon was smacked as a child and it didn't do her any harm.
Original post by King Leonidas
It's baffling that some of you think a little disciplining can be detrimental.

i'm not going to explain my viewpoint, if you don't understand then you never will.

I just want to finish off by saying that disciplining your child does not make you a bad parent.

The hilarious thing about the pro-hitting kids team is that all scientific evidence contradicts them. So sure, have your view, I'd just like you to admit that you hold this view in spite of all available evidence and that you don't care one bit about actual science, or facts.
Original post by Tabstercat
The hilarious thing about the pro-hitting kids team is that all scientific evidence contradicts them. So sure, have your view, I'd just like you to admit that you hold this view in spite of all available evidence and that you don't care one bit about actual science, or facts.

I don't give two shits about 'scientific evidence' to be honest and I'll admit that, however, it's a known fact that parenting is a learning and development process, which is fundamentally based on 'empirical' evidence. Being a parent and the methods of discipline you adopt isn't a 2+2 is 4 process, I would understand your logic if you were discussing how to parent a robot, but unfortunately we're not. Life is fluid and open to subjectivity, thus shaped by our decisions (regardless of how others view them) stop trying to plaster your opinion as a quantitative truth.
Original post by Tabstercat

Well let's see all this evidence then...
Lmao, so many of these posters must've got beat as a child
Surely if smacking your child is seen as abusive if you just smack them for no reason, then smacking your child as punishment is still being abusive because you're still doing the same thing.. it's still abusive towards them, is it not?
I agree, studies have shown that smacking was only effective for a short time as the pain is forgotten shortly afterwards and not as a long term deterrent. As they get older, they're going to need smacking harder and harder to feel it which can easily be classed as abuse.
A piece of useless legislation that will do nothing other than making some self righteous politicians feel bwtter about themselves.

It will go through unopposed as well because no MSP will want to be the person tagged as being in favour of child abuse...
Original post by LouLang
Surely if smacking your child is seen as abusive if you just smack them for no reason, then smacking your child as punishment is still being abusive because you're still doing the same thing.. it's still abusive towards them, is it not?

That's like saying boxing and martial arts are abusive. It isn't if you have a valid reason.
Damn straight! First battered mars bars now this. Scotland is doing good stuff.
Original post by Guru Jason
I disagree with this. Parents should be able to discipline there children by smacking when needed. (Yes I do feel there are times when it is needed)

It’s that just physical abuse.

Let’s put it into another context. Say you got a parking fine. The parking attendant doesn’t come over and ***** slap you, does he? He doesn’t do it because he’s probably a nice guy (besides the point) and it’s ASSAULT.
Excellent news. Smacking children is disgraceful and sickening, shame on anyone who does it.
Original post by King Leonidas
I don't give two shits about 'scientific evidence'

proceeds to appeal to empirical 'facts'
Original post by 12ksmith
It’s that just physical abuse.

Let’s put it into another context. Say you got a parking fine. The parking attendant doesn’t come over and ***** slap you, does he? He doesn’t do it because he’s probably a nice guy (besides the point) and it’s ASSAULT.

Don't buy that. The amount of trouble we see in our streets and in schools would be solved with swift corporal punishment in schools and from parents at home.
Original post by VirgoStrain
Looks like he’s “had enough of experts” like Michael Gove

I wish I had a right to clout him around the head. Might knock some sense into him.

Quick Reply

Latest