The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I haven't revised for my a levels so far?

I haven't done work outside of sixth form unless it was for HW. I have done work for one of my a levels , a tiny bit for the other and absolutely 0 for the last one ( I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing). If I start now, can I get ABC/B this year?

I'm starting tomorrow since I have a day off.

How many hours should I do on each subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Neither have I, planning on starting in December as that's when I'm quitting my job, hope it's not too late by then.
Reply 2
Original post by Wikia
Neither have I, planning on starting in December as that's when I'm quitting my job, hope it's not too late by then.

Well i hope your exams aren't as early as mine are (annoying exam board makes the exam much more earlier)
I’ve been learning and revising as I go along which I find to be so much easier because it means you don’t have a ton of revision to cram the night before a test and instead of it all building up and having a massive pile to do at the end it feels so much less of a chore. I would say start as soon as you can and keep up the work consistence even if it’s only 1 hour a day but make sure you stick to it
You should Ideally start as soon as possible (within the first few weeks of starting your A-Levels,) you should be spending an equal amount of time you spend in school on your subjects than you do at home revising, so about 3 hours a day, start with 2 hours and slowly make your way up to the 3, and don't make revising a chore, try to make it as enjoyable as possible.
Reply 5
Original post by That_Hijabi
Well i hope your exams aren't as early as mine are (annoying exam board makes the exam much more earlier)

When are yours? I think mine are late May, that still gives me 6 months to revise.
Reply 6
My school says 5 hours a week per subiect but that is quite a lot. I would say 3 hours a week not invluding homework.
I messed up my As-levels first time around due to not being able to revise outside of school due to issues at home. By the time I was able to start properly revising in February, it was too late to pull my grades up to were they should have been. I got DCC in Biology, Maths and Home Economics. I then ended up repeating the year. So, from someone who knows, start revising now.

I was always told 5 hours per subject per week at home. In my repeated year I easily did 10 hours a week at college on top of this.
(edited 6 years ago)
I got A*A*A* quite comfortably and started revising heavily in May (Notes from like March).
Reply 9
Original post by leverarch
I’ve been learning and revising as I go along which I find to be so much easier because it means you don’t have a ton of revision to cram the night before a test and instead of it all building up and having a massive pile to do at the end it feels so much less of a chore. I would say start as soon as you can and keep up the work consistence even if it’s only 1 hour a day but make sure you stick to it

Original post by Draconid
You should Ideally start as soon as possible (within the first few weeks of starting your A-Levels,) you should be spending an equal amount of time you spend in school on your subjects than you do at home revising, so about 3 hours a day, start with 2 hours and slowly make your way up to the 3, and don't make revising a chore, try to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Thanks guys! I'll start as soon as possible. How do I make my boring hard a level fun?
Original post by Wikia
When are yours? I think mine are late May, that still gives me 6 months to revise.

Early may !!
Original post by Zoe Lea
My school says 5 hours a week per subiect but that is quite a lot. I would say 3 hours a week not invluding homework.
Thanks guys! I'll start as soon as possible. How do I make my boring hard a level fun?

Early may !!

If you're doing the subjects you love and enjoy it should be fun anyway, try and read around your subjects to really get into it because once you have that interest sparked and you really, fully understand it you’ll start to enjoy it anyway
If you're doing the subjects you love and enjoy it should be fun anyway, try and read around your subjects to really get into it because once you have that interest sparked and you really, fully understand it you’ll start to enjoy it anyway

I'm doing one a level that I don't enjoy but I had to pick it so I have to force myself to revise which is a pain which is why I haven't done any revision
I'm doing one a level that I don't enjoy but I had to pick it so I have to force myself to revise which is a pain which is why I haven't done any revision

Why did you have you pick one you don’t want to? Make your revision session more ‘fun’ mix it up a bit watch some videos, use colour, try different methods, change your environment- work in the park. Just jazz things up a bit and also have the mindset that you’re going to try your hardest and you WILL do well
Why did you have you pick one you don’t want to? Make your revision session more ‘fun’ mix it up a bit watch some videos, use colour, try different methods, change your environment- work in the park. Just jazz things up a bit and also have the mindset that you’re going to try your hardest and you WILL do well

I was forced to by my parents!
Thanks so much!!!
I haven't done work outside of sixth form unless it was for HW. I have done work for one of my a levels , a tiny bit for the other and absolutely 0 for the last one ( I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing). If I start now, can I get ABC/B this year?

Unless you're being entered for AS examinations, your exams are still a year and a half away.

By all means review topics, I just think it's a bit early to do "revision" per se, especially when you've learnt such a small portion of the course.
Reply 15

I haven't either. It depends on what subjects you're doing and if you're up to speed with current work.
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx
Unless you're being entered for AS examinations, your exams are still a year and a half away.

By all means review topics, I just think it's a bit early to do "revision" per se, especially when you've learnt such a small portion of the course.

Yeah that's true. We haven't learnt too much to actually revise.
Original post by _gcx

I'm sitting my AS exams this may
Despite what many on TSR say, you don't need to start revising this early. I started my A2 revision around Easter and got A*A*A. A-Levels are not as hard as TSR hypes them up to be.
Original post by Black Water
I haven't either. It depends on what subjects you're doing and if you're up to speed with current work.

I'm doing business , sociology and psychology. I know absolutely nothing in business, a bit in sociology and I'm definitely up to speed in psychology.

Quick Reply