The Student Room Group

Calculating coordinates of A and B

A sketch of the line 2y-x=4 is shown.
The line cross with the axes at A and B.
Calculate the coordinates of A and B
Thank you.
Reply 1
When a line crosses the x axis what is always the coordinate of y? And when a line crosses the y axis what is always the coordinate of x?
Think about what the value of y is when the line crosses the x-axis (and vice versa). You can then rearrange the equation and sub these values in.
No idea guys, if I knew I wouldn't be asking for help.
Reply 4
Original post by sweetstars
No idea guys, if I knew I wouldn't be asking for help.

The previous posters have offered hints to guide you to the solution, which is what we do here. Just because you can't do the question doesn't mean you can't respond to hints.

The first hint was:

"When a line crosses the x axis what is always the coordinate of y?"

Here's a picture to show this:

They both cross the x-axis at the points circled. What is the y-coordinate or each of the red circled points?
Original post by Notnek
The previous posters have offered hints to guide you to the solution, which is what we do here. Just because you can't do the question doesn't mean you can't respond to hints.

The first hint was:

"When a line crosses the x axis what is always the coordinate of y?"

Here's a picture to show this:

They both cross the x-axis at the points circled. What is the y-coordinate or each of the red circled points?

-0.5 and 2?
But my question doesn't even show such things. If it did, I would have done this already. Unless I'm supposed to estimate.
Reply 6
-0.5 and 2?

Those are the x-coordinates. What are the y-coordinates of the circled points?
Original post by Notnek
Those are the x-coordinates. What are the y-coordinates of the circled points?

You said "or each of the red circled points?". I'm sorry, but you wasn't clear enough and so I misunderstood. -1 and -2. But what does this have to do with my question anyway.
Reply 8
You said "or each of the red circled points?". I'm sorry, but you wasn't clear enough and so I misunderstood. -1 and -2. But what does this have to do with my question anyway.

No I am talking about the red circled points. They have coordinates

(-0.5, __ ) and (2, __ )

What goes in the blanks? Look at my diagram to see. In other words, what are the y-coordinates of the two red circled points?

Quick Reply

Latest