The Student Room Group

need help on getting a part time job

Hello everyone,

I am struggling to get a part time jobs.Most jobs request online applications but unfortunately I have been unsuccessful so far.

I want a part time job at a supermarket but every time I apply they reject my application or they don't get back to me.
Any suggestions ?
This is my last resort.
What type of jobs are you looking for and what kind of experience do you have? It may be that your online applications don't sell you the best it could - have you had someone to check over your applications before you submit them.

Have you tried looking at other types of job like waiter/waitress, barman, receptionist?
Original post by dazeworld
Hello everyone,

I am struggling to get a part time jobs.Most jobs request online applications but unfortunately I have been unsuccessful so far.

I want a part time job at a supermarket but every time I apply they reject my application or they don't get back to me.
Any suggestions ?
This is my last resort.

Do you have any work experience? Have you had any feedback on your applications? :smile:
Hello everyone,

Any suggestions ?
This is my last resort.

Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
What type of jobs are you looking for and what kind of experience do you have? It may be that your online applications don't sell you the best it could - have you had someone to check over your applications before you submit them.

Have you tried looking at other types of job like waiter/waitress, barman, receptionist?

Any retail jobs or admin work...
I have lots of volunteering experiences in many different areas but I am not successful whenever I apply.
Reply 5
Original post by shadowdweller
Do you have any work experience? Have you had any feedback on your applications? :smile:

Yes I do have experience and I never get any feedback from them.
Reply 6
Original post by Analyst89
Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council

Thank you I'll keep applying.
Yes I do have experience and I never get any feedback from them.

What experience do you have, and have you been making it clear in the applications?
Any retail jobs or admin work...
I have lots of volunteering experiences in many different areas but I am not successful whenever I apply.

What kind of volunteering have you done? It may be that you aren't selling your skills and experience well in your applications. If you are unsuccessful, you should always try to ask for feedback so you know how to improve for next time.

Have you had any check your CV or applications before you submit them?
Reply 9
If you have no experience just apply to everything as you do need experience to get your preferred jobs in the future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending