The Student Room Group

Is the Distance Learning Centre legitimate?

https://www.distance-learning-centre.co.uk/
Anyone used this distance learning website before?
I just want to make 100% sure it's completely legitimate before I apply and pay for it.

Scroll to see replies

What are you looking to do?
Original post by December126
I just want to make 100% sure it's completely legitimate before I apply and pay for it.
Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that hopefully you'll get the replies you're after.:smile:
I'm currently with National Extension College, which offer A-Levels and GCSE's. Extremely good so far. The tutors are very helpful and encouraging. Can only speak for NEC, so if you are browsing for options take a look at them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by December126

Hey!

Now, let me preface what I'm about to say by saying - I am currently enrolled with DLC and am studying an Access Course. So, here we go!

When I was looking to complete an Access to HE Course through a "distance" route, I too was presented with all your anxieties about "is this place trustworthy?" "is the material good" "is it all fake?" and the like. I spent a lot of time doing research and taking in peoples comments.

If you embark on a little research, you will find quite a few mixed reviews. You will see a number of people complaining that they felt they didn't get any support, didn't understand questions, material provided was poor etc. You will also find people saying that they have had a great experience, the platform was easy to use and their tutors were great! Someone I think posted a youtube video of a review that they did and for me, it was spot on. I'll explain my experience so far..

Signing up - easy. You fill out a form, pay your joining fees and then arrange for the first months payment. Email response is very very quick from the team that set it all up and it was a very smooth process.

The content provided so far has been good. There are small grammatical errors and sometimes you can view it and think.. "why have they got this awful stock image here" but actually, the material provided is only part of the study. Study is of course about your own research and I have been provided with details and resources to complete that.

My tutor has been absolutely brilliant. They have answered questions promptly and with detail and so far have given some very detailed feedback about work that I have submitted. This for me has actually been the best part of it. I feel I am getting a better service than I would at college believe it or not!

Overall - yes, It is legitimate. I would recommend it however - make sure you do your research on other providers and decide what is best for you!

D
Original post by DCDCo
Hey!

Now, let me preface what I'm about to say by saying - I am currently enrolled with DLC and am studying an Access Course. So, here we go!

When I was looking to complete an Access to HE Course through a "distance" route, I too was presented with all your anxieties about "is this place trustworthy?" "is the material good" "is it all fake?" and the like. I spent a lot of time doing research and taking in peoples comments.

If you embark on a little research, you will find quite a few mixed reviews. You will see a number of people complaining that they felt they didn't get any support, didn't understand questions, material provided was poor etc. You will also find people saying that they have had a great experience, the platform was easy to use and their tutors were great! Someone I think posted a youtube video of a review that they did and for me, it was spot on. I'll explain my experience so far..

Signing up - easy. You fill out a form, pay your joining fees and then arrange for the first months payment. Email response is very very quick from the team that set it all up and it was a very smooth process.

The content provided so far has been good. There are small grammatical errors and sometimes you can view it and think.. "why have they got this awful stock image here" but actually, the material provided is only part of the study. Study is of course about your own research and I have been provided with details and resources to complete that.

My tutor has been absolutely brilliant. They have answered questions promptly and with detail and so far have given some very detailed feedback about work that I have submitted. This for me has actually been the best part of it. I feel I am getting a better service than I would at college believe it or not!

Overall - yes, It is legitimate. I would recommend it however - make sure you do your research on other providers and decide what is best for you!

D

This makes me feel so much better, I've just signed up to their access to law pathwayamd was a little nervous. I haven't heard anything from them but I did sign up during the weekend so maybe there will be a little backlog.
Reply 6
Original post by sleepingsunshine
This makes me feel so much better, I've just signed up to their access to law pathwayamd was a little nervous. I haven't heard anything from them but I did sign up during the weekend so maybe there will be a little backlog.

Let me know when you are enrolled, I'm doing that exact course!
Original post by DCDCo
Let me know when you are enrolled, I'm doing that exact course!

How the course going for you? Do you know any of the documents that I need to upload? I've had no contact from the company and while ive sent a email asking questions about the enrolment I haven't received an answer yet.
Reply 8
How the course going for you? Do you know any of the documents that I need to upload? I've had no contact from the company and while ive sent a email asking questions about the enrolment I haven't received an answer yet.

That's really odd, their email correspondence with me was spot on.

If you have signed up, basically to get the ball rolling you need to make an initial payment (the enrollment fee) and provide your personal documents. I think that they require some photo ID and something with your current address on. Now, I used my Driving Licence as they said that it could be used for both sets of ID and honestly, I was set up in about 2 business days.

I'm still in the ungraded units at the moment completing the study skills. I never went to college so these sections are super super important in my eyes. Its essentially teaching me how to write in an academic manner. Its actually quite full on...

One thing I will say - my tutor has been fantastic and has been easy to reach. I got 2 Merits and a Distinction in my very first assignment and I have just submitted my second. I'm aiming to be done by June which is the cutoff for the moderation date which means I'm completing a module every 10 days, this equates to around 2000 words on each occasion of counted word, and much more in other questions. It's not a walk in the park that's for sure and I didn't get top marks in the first assignment!

Either way, i'd fully recommend it. Keep me updated how you get on.

D
Original post by DCDCo
Hey!

D

Do you think its possible to get into Dentistry via this route? I've enrolled on a science access course with DLC starting tomorrow. I've already done an access course at the manchester college but had to drop out due to personal reasons.
I have contacted the universities I wish to apply to, and they said they would be willing to accept a science access course. However, they also require you to have certain credits at distinction. For example, Manchester uni require 45 level 3 credits at distinction. Plus GCSE Maths and English at Grade B. I know Liverpool, Newcastle and Bristol also accept it. I spoke to my tutor and they said that previous students have gained places from studying the diploma.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Sniper21
Do you think its possible to get into Dentistry via this route? I've enrolled on a science access course with DLC starting tomorrow. I've already done an access course at the manchester college but had to drop out due to personal reasons.
I have contacted the universities I wish to apply to, and they said they would be willing to accept a science access course. However, they also require you to have certain credits at distinction. For example, Manchester uni require 45 level 3 credits at distinction. Plus GCSE Maths and English at Grade B. I know Liverpool, Newcastle and Bristol also accept it. I spoke to my tutor and they said previous students have gained places from studying the diploma.

I think the most important thing is to find out - what Universities are successful in your field, are there good graduate prospects from those Universities and most importantly, can I get in to that Uni?

I want to work for a City law firm.. they recruit from Russell Group Universities, I know that I need at least 30 (but probably 40..) distinctions to even stand a chance at getting in. Once you have that knowledge, you know what to aim for!
Original post by DCDCo
I think the most important thing is to find out - what Universities are successful in your field, are there good graduate prospects from those Universities and most importantly, can I get in to that Uni?

I want to work for a City law firm.. they recruit from Russell Group Universities, I know that I need at least 30 (but probably 40..) distinctions to even stand a chance at getting in. Once you have that knowledge, you know what to aim for!

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to study dentistry for 2019 entry. I'm aware that dentistry is SUPER competitive. I'm willing to work hard to get those distinctions - its achievable if you put the work in. I need to take the UKCAT later this year as well as gain work experience in dental surgeries, AND resit my maths gcse to improve my chances of getting in.

So how are you finding the course?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Slightly embarrassing.. I've just clicked the website and realised its a completely different "Distance Learning Centre"! I have been using distancelearningcentre.com for clarity, which are what my commends have been in relation to. Woops.

The course is definitely a little harder than I expected, not in terms of how taxing it is, but in terms of the amount of work required. This will all be in good stead though for the future :smile:
Original post by DCDCo
That's really odd, their email correspondence with me was spot on.

If you have signed up, basically to get the ball rolling you need to make an initial payment (the enrollment fee) and provide your personal documents. I think that they require some photo ID and something with your current address on. Now, I used my Driving Licence as they said that it could be used for both sets of ID and honestly, I was set up in about 2 business days.

I'm still in the ungraded units at the moment completing the study skills. I never went to college so these sections are super super important in my eyes. Its essentially teaching me how to write in an academic manner. Its actually quite full on...

One thing I will say - my tutor has been fantastic and has been easy to reach. I got 2 Merits and a Distinction in my very first assignment and I have just submitted my second. I'm aiming to be done by June which is the cutoff for the moderation date which means I'm completing a module every 10 days, this equates to around 2000 words on each occasion of counted word, and much more in other questions. It's not a walk in the park that's for sure and I didn't get top marks in the first assignment!

Either way, i'd fully recommend it. Keep me updated how you get on.

D

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, when did you start this course?

Hi,

Sorry to intrude, but I'm not 100% sure if this online provider would be legitimate?

It's the same name to the very popular distancelearningcentre.com, except its .co.uk? Seems slightly off to me, but that's just me!

I will say that the distancelearningcentre.com seem to be more efficient in their replies, so it might be worth going with this course provider instead! I haven't started the course yet, but their student services were extremely quick in replying to any queries that I have!

Might be the better option!
Reply 15
Original post by anonygirl102
Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, when did you start this course?

I started 20/09/17. My learning plan has me to finish on 30/05/17 (just prior to the cutoff date for moderation to be allowed in to Sept Uni).

I am completing 3 Credits approximately every 10 days currently. 3 Credits is around 1500 words of essay and all of the reading etc around that. Its manageable, you just have to make a few sacrifices.
Reply 16
Hi,

Sorry to intrude, but I'm not 100% sure if this online provider would be legitimate?

It's the same name to the very popular distancelearningcentre.com, except its .co.uk? Seems slightly off to me, but that's just me!

I will say that the distancelearningcentre.com seem to be more efficient in their replies, so it might be worth going with this course provider instead! I haven't started the course yet, but their student services were extremely quick in replying to any queries that I have!

Might be the better option!

I second this, as per my reply before!
Original post by DCDCo
I started 20/09/17. My learning plan has me to finish on 30/05/17 (just prior to the cutoff date for moderation to be allowed in to Sept Uni).

I am completing 3 Credits approximately every 10 days currently. 3 Credits is around 1500 words of essay and all of the reading etc around that. Its manageable, you just have to make a few sacrifices.

Ok, great. I am looking to start within the next few days, although some people on the student room have told me it is completely impossible to finish this in time for the moderation cut off date, so I'm a little wary now.

Do you think this is manageable, based on your experience? This will be my only commitment so I have every day of the week to invest into it.
Reply 18
Ok, great. I am looking to start within the next few days, although some people on the student room have told me it is completely impossible to finish this in time for the moderation cut off date, so I'm a little wary now.

Do you think this is manageable, based on your experience? This will be my only commitment so I have every day of the week to invest into it.

People saying that it is impossible are wrong, of course its not impossible. I am working to a cycle of 10 days per 3 Credits. For me to complete this, I dedicate 2-3 nights a week and generally one full weekend day/day off. I am awful with procrastination though so it's entirely possible to be much more efficient.

I first decided to go along this path at the very start of September. When I was researching what I wanted to do and how to go about it, I had it set in my mind that this would take a year, i'd then apply for 2019 entry to Uni. It was only when I got enrolled and started talking to people who had done the course that this was entirely achievable to make Sept 2018 entry to Uni. This however is based off a continuous 10 day cycle of going through modules I will be done by the end of May, but this doesn't include time off for Christmas/New Year etc.

When you look back at what you have taken on though, its quite a lot. At the start you need to be going through all of the introductory modules (which were very important for someone like me who had been out of academics for 15 years and had never written an essay) as well as tending to things like your personal statement. Make no mistake, the personal statement is a big deal and I have spent more time on that than any assignment so far. Its still not done. Along with this, I need to start working on LNAT revision as I need to take that for my Law applications. Yes, it's alot, but you just got to work at it.

One thing I will say though... I had the greatest intentions when I first signed up, "i'll work every night, dedicate my weekends" etc. After only a month, of my two days off, i've had to stop myself from working on one of those days otherwise I think I will go insane. Its important to keep a good healthy work/life balance. You saying that this will be your only commitment is great, but trust me, you will want some time off :smile:

In summary - If you want it, you can have it. Get signed up and get cracking on!

What are you thinking of doing, where are you considering applying for in ters of Uni?
Original post by DCDCo
People saying that it is impossible are wrong, of course its not impossible. I am working to a cycle of 10 days per 3 Credits. For me to complete this, I dedicate 2-3 nights a week and generally one full weekend day/day off. I am awful with procrastination though so it's entirely possible to be much more efficient.

I first decided to go along this path at the very start of September. When I was researching what I wanted to do and how to go about it, I had it set in my mind that this would take a year, i'd then apply for 2019 entry to Uni. It was only when I got enrolled and started talking to people who had done the course that this was entirely achievable to make Sept 2018 entry to Uni. This however is based off a continuous 10 day cycle of going through modules I will be done by the end of May, but this doesn't include time off for Christmas/New Year etc.

When you look back at what you have taken on though, its quite a lot. At the start you need to be going through all of the introductory modules (which were very important for someone like me who had been out of academics for 15 years and had never written an essay) as well as tending to things like your personal statement. Make no mistake, the personal statement is a big deal and I have spent more time on that than any assignment so far. Its still not done. Along with this, I need to start working on LNAT revision as I need to take that for my Law applications. Yes, it's alot, but you just got to work at it.

One thing I will say though... I had the greatest intentions when I first signed up, "i'll work every night, dedicate my weekends" etc. After only a month, of my two days off, i've had to stop myself from working on one of those days otherwise I think I will go insane. Its important to keep a good healthy work/life balance. You saying that this will be your only commitment is great, but trust me, you will want some time off :smile:

In summary - If you want it, you can have it. Get signed up and get cracking on!

What are you thinking of doing, where are you considering applying for in ters of Uni?

Thank you so much for this response, it is very motivating!

I have already made a start on my Personal Statement as I know it's quite a big deal and important to get right, so hopefully that has given me a good head start!

Luckily for me it won't be necessary to revise for any extra's outside of the Access course as there aren't any other requirements for the degree I am looking to do. In terms of the introductory modules, I'm fairly confident I can get through these easily and relatively quickly as I am quite young, and so haven't been out of education for all too long. Although, I think it will prove to be useful to help me get back into the swing of things. I do enjoy writings essays/assignments, so I'm hoping this will make it seem less like "work" to me.

I am hoping to do quite a practical degree course I suppose, but I have two options. The first option is Healthcare Science and the second option is Biomedical Science, they are basically the exact same degree with the difference of a few factors. I have made a start on A-level Biology before, but I can't say I stayed in college past the first few months, so although I do have some background knowledge I am not completely up to scratch! I do think this will give me a huge advantage though.

I also admit, I am not the best when it comes to procrastination, but I am in a much different mindset now, and I feel this is the only way to pursue a worthwhile career rather than end up in dead end low-level jobs for the rest of my life.

Thank you so much for your great advice :smile:

I will update after my introductory modules are completed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending