The Student Room Group

called for jury service-help

got a letter today calling me for jury service and i a really confused/worried/scared.
I don't know anything about law or processes like this and i' worried about money too.
I know you can claim back earnings but I don't know if you get this money while you are doing jury service or afterwards?
I also will have huge travel expenses as public transport won't be good enough (no buses at the right times).
Also I'm confused about how long it goes on for: i know it says 2 weeks but in another letter that came in the envelope it mentioned how they can be 200 days or longer!- what is the usual length and what are chances of it going over this length of 2 weeks?- it will take me up to xmas day and i have holiday booked from work for the 4 days after xmas.
Also does this 2 weeks include weekends or is it just weekdays?
also is it 9-5 each day?
can anyone who as any experience or knowledge of this help me and try and answer my questions above?
Reply 1
Original post by tgwktm
got a letter today calling me for jury service and i a really confused/worried/scared.
I don't know anything about law or processes like this and i' worried about money too.
I know you can claim back earnings but I don't know if you get this money while you are doing jury service or afterwards?
I also will have huge travel expenses as public transport won't be good enough (no buses at the right times).
Also I'm confused about how long it goes on for: i know it says 2 weeks but in another letter that came in the envelope it mentioned how they can be 200 days or longer!- what is the usual length and what are chances of it going over this length of 2 weeks?- it will take me up to xmas day and i have holiday booked from work for the 4 days after xmas.
also is it 9-5 each day?
can anyone who as any experience or knowledge of this help me and try and answer my questions above?

It's just 2 weeks that you have to be there. Sometimes, there are trials that they know are going to be big, and they know will take longer than 2 weeks. They need the same jury for the whole length of the trial, so the selected jury will have to be there til the end. But a lot of people get called for jury selection, and not all will be selected for each trial. If they do want you for a long trial, they will discuss it with you and they can decide not to allocate you to the long trial if it's unsuitable.
There are always several trials going on, so if you're excused from one trial they will just find you another (in the same court, because there are a lot of court rooms).
I assume you're in England? The process in Scotland is slightly different.

Don't worry about not knowing anything about law, the system is designed to use 'ordinary' people from all walks of life.

There's a lot of information about jury service on the gov.uk website, have a read through that and try and relax and enjoy the experience!
Reply 4
Original post by tgwktm
also is it 9-5 each day?

With expenses, you submit a form and they send you a cheque afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending