The Student Room Group

Do they have the right to tell me I can't swap my shift? (McDonald's)

The store owner is in at the weekend, and I only found out last week the exact dates for my gold dofe expedition. Someone took the shift on peoplestuff but it got rejected, as since the store owner is there for the 'operations shift' I cannot swap it.
Can they actually do this? Really?
I don't see why not. As long as they have the hours covered and required number of staff in it should be fine. However it could be individual company policy.
Reply 2
Original post by Rangzii
The store owner is in at the weekend, and I only found out last week the exact dates for my gold dofe expedition. Someone took the shift on peoplestuff but it got rejected, as since the store owner is there for the 'operations shift' I cannot swap it.
Can they actually do this? Really?

Yes they can.

Their only legal obligation is to provide you with your contractually agreed number of hours in a pattern which reasonably matches that advertised. Additionally, most firms will have a policy whereby you must either find an agreed swap yourself or submit a written request a certain number of weeks in advance.

Your only real option is either to find a swap yourself and just send that person in hoping they won't chew you out for not turning up and give you a disciplinary.
They're your employer, they can do whatever they want pretty much - providing they don't breach the contract, which I'm sure gives you no rights here.
Original post by Rakas21
Yes they can.

Their only legal obligation is to provide you with your contractually agreed number of hours in a pattern which reasonably matches that advertised. Additionally, most firms will have a policy whereby you must either find an agreed swap yourself or submit a written request a certain number of weeks in advance.

Your only real option is either to find a swap yourself and just send that person in hoping they won't chew you out for not turning up and give you a disciplinary.

you could offer a colleague some money to do your shifts.
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21
Yes they can.

I stuck to the shift swap policy, but it goes out the window when the big boss is in for some reason
Reply 6
Original post by Rangzii
I stuck to the shift swap policy, but it goes out the window when the big boss is in for some reason

Then have that guy go in and hope they don't give you a formal warning.

Quick Reply

Latest