The Student Room Group

Short course grades

Hi, so basically I did a short course in sociology and got my results in summer, I got an A with mark equivalent 86, but wondered whether it was possible to get an A* at all in a short course because no one in my class did. Also the grade boundaries for an A* were 75 for paper 1 and 71 for paper 2 for the full gcse but I got 86 in the one exam I sat for the short course - so i just wondered whether it was even possible to get an A* in a short course GCSE?
Original post by mhughesWHS17
Hi, so basically I did a short course in sociology and got my results in summer, I got an A with mark equivalent 86, but wondered whether it was possible to get an A* at all in a short course because no one in my class did. Also the grade boundaries for an A* were 75 for paper 1 and 71 for paper 2 for the full gcse but I got 86 in the one exam I sat for the short course - so i just wondered whether it was even possible to get an A* in a short course GCSE?

The mark equivalent means UMS. A UMS of 86 would have given you an A. 90 UMS was needed for an A*. The grade boundaries are in raw marks but your grade is calculated in UMS.
Reply 2
Yes you can get an A* in a short course GCSE.
As thegalaxy says, you have confused UMS marks with raw marks and were 4 short of the marks needed for an A*.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Why dont you contact the exam board and ask.

I can't help but notice you often give this advice to answers that could be answered far more simply and effectively by the OP asking his teacher or exam officer. Exam boards will only give general responses and not answer specific queries about a candidate's results as they have no means of identifying the person calling.

It may be hat your score was not high enough as A* are usually for the top 10% of A grades over a number of papers. Maybe it was the fact it was only 1 paper or you were high enough? Ask them.

This is just plain wrong. Given your standing on TSR it would be helpful if you checked your facts before posting.
Original post by Compost
I can't help but notice you often give this advice to answers that could be answered far more simply and effectively by the OP asking his teacher or exam officer. Exam boards will only give general responses and not answer specific queries about a candidate's results as they have no means of identifying the person calling.

This is just plain wrong. Given your standing on TSR it would be helpful if you checked your facts before posting.

As for the second bit fair enough. I hadnt realised. That was a genuine mistake and duly noted. edited.. Thanks.

As for the first bit fair enough again, but the exam board dont need to identify the person calling and a general answer can be sufficient. It may be the teacher is the obvious point of call but why havent they asked them already? Some teachers and exam officers are more accessible than others.

PS I removed it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest