The Student Room Group

I want to skip school tomorrow.

On Wednesday, I felt a little cruddy, I had a cough and felt like I was going to be sick, but I got on with my day, thinking it was probably my immune system that seems to hate me, up until everything started to hurt before lunch time, when I was doing a chemistry progress test, I left (with no guaranteed marks, because I just couldn't read/write properly) to throw up in the bathroom, and it was sudden splitting pain, the school is very bright with many people talking. I asked a classmate to tell a teacher I have a migraine, and was sent to a dark room to lie down and such, but I knew I couldn't go home, there was only three more days left until half term.

Today, I had no appetite, went to school, took some pain killers, ones a classmate offered (co-codamol) and was out like a light for independent study -- I know co-codamol isn't the best, but it stopped me from being in pain. I ran out of my migraine tablets, and have been struggling. It's test week though, and I had a psychology test second period. I slept through the first four hours of school, missing that test. I only woke up at lunch, to go apologise to my psychology teacher, who understands that I have migraines (he asked me why I was in school, before telling me that I could make it up after the half term, I was kind of out of it though) I thanked him, before going back to my seat and tried to tune things out, I had another dose because I wasn't doing well at all. I slept as long as I could, and when it was impossible, kept my head down to avoid light.

Last lesson, my biology teacher tells me that I have to make up my test (I missed it on Wednesday, after lunch) before telling me to stop pretending I'm sick. I don't think I can function well enough to do this test tomorrow (the pain killers make me drowsy, and I forget things with it. But without it, I'm pretty sure I will cry, because it's just too bright in the lab room) and she just doesn't understand, despite another teacher explaining why I'm not quite there and will be unable to perform well.

I know that this will impair my ability to do tests, I can barely show up, light makes me want to die and I know that most of my migraines last at least three days, so it just sucks. Mostly because she refuses to understand that it isn't just a headache, I'm in pain. But, she seems to think it's awfully convenient that I got one before her test. I'm good at biology, it's something I usually deal with (last year, I dealt with it with tablets when I felt it coming on, but I didn't replace the tablets when it ran out, and thought some of the feelings of nausea was the flu, or stress) I wasn't as careful, and now I don't know what to do, because everything hurts, even though I have dealt with it for years. I was fortunate to have people that understand, this teacher doesn't see reason.

Update: I have been allowed to sit in a dark room, for the remainder of the day. The head of science is understanding, which is good.
(edited 6 years ago)
Have you been to see the doctor?

I'm sorry your teacher thinks you are making it up. You could get a doctor's note as proof?
Reply 2
Original post by Shins
On Wednesday, I felt a little cruddy, I had a cough and felt like I was going to be sick, but I got on with my day, thinking it was probably my immune system that seems to hate me, up until everything started to hurt before lunch time, when I was doing a chemistry progress test, I left (with no guaranteed marks, because I just couldn't read/write properly) to throw up in the bathroom, and it was sudden splitting pain, the school is very bright with many people talking. I asked a classmate to tell a teacher I have a migraine, and was sent to a dark room to lie down and such, but I knew I couldn't go home, there was only three more days left until half term.

Today, I had no appetite, went to school, took some pain killers, ones a classmate offered (co-codamol) and was out like a light for independent study -- I know co-codamol isn't the best, but it stopped me from being in pain. I ran out of my migraine tablets, and have been struggling. It's test week though, and I had a psychology test second period. I slept through the first four hours of school, missing that test. I only woke up at lunch, to go apologise to my psychology teacher, who understands that I have migraines (he asked me why I was in school, before telling me that I could make it up after the half term, I was kind of out of it though) I thanked him, before going back to my seat and tried to tune things out, I had another dose because I wasn't doing well at all. I slept as long as I could, and when it was impossible, kept my head down to avoid light.

Last lesson, my biology teacher tells me that I have to make up my test (I missed it on Wednesday, after lunch) before telling me to stop pretending I'm sick. I don't think I can function well enough to do this test tomorrow (the pain killers make me drowsy, and I forget things with it. But without it, I'm pretty sure I will cry, because it's just too bright in the lab room) and she just doesn't understand, despite another teacher explaining why I'm not quite there and will be unable to perform well.

I know that this will impair my ability to do tests, I can barely show up, light makes me want to die and I know that most of my migraines last at least three days, so it just sucks. Mostly because she refuses to understand that it isn't just a headache, I'm in pain. But, she seems to think it's awfully convenient that I got one before her test. I'm good at biology, it's something I usually deal with (last year, I dealt with it with tablets when I felt it coming on, but I didn't replace the tablets when it ran out, and thought some of the feelings of nausea was the flu, or stress) I wasn't as careful, and now I don't know what to do, because everything hurts, even though I have dealt with it for years. I was fortunate to have people that understand, this teacher doesn't see reason.

You have a legitimate health issue which I imagine is already diagnosed given you having migraine medication. You shouldn't need a drs note for this (and they will not be very happy to give one if you aren't missing a whole week).
You should be able to point out you have a medical condition. If that isn't enough either get a parent to write a note (assuming you are in secondary school) or talk to a higher up teacher like head of department or year.
Sort that out when you're feeling better though. For now just call in sick (or get a parent to). Also make sure it is put on your records (if it isn't already) that you have migraines so that evidence is there if this ever happens again.

You are not pretending to be sick so your teacher can deal with it. Coincidences happen and stress can trigger migraines so it could actually be caused by this test even.

Good luck and stand up for yourself if they get pissy with you. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
Have you been to see the doctor?

I'm sorry your teacher thinks you are making it up. You could get a doctor's note as proof?

I have, it's in my records, along with the medicine I should be allowed to take, she just happens to be one of the stricter teachers, who doesn't realise it's anything more than a headache, and that I'm over exaggerating about how it hurts (which I'm not)
Original post by Shins
I have, it's in my records, along with the medicine I should be allowed to take, she just happens to be one of the stricter teachers, who doesn't realise it's anything more than a headache, and that I'm over exaggerating about how it hurts (which I'm not)

I would get your parent to talk to the school. I don't understand why the teacher won't believe you, even though you can prove you are telling the truth and the other teacher backed you up. Can you talk to someone higher up, like the head of the department, or the headteacher? I don't believe she can force you to do the test, please don't worry too much.
Reply 5
Original post by Kindred
You have a legitimate health issue which I imagine is already diagnosed given you having migraine medication. You shouldn't need a drs note for this (and they will not be very happy to give one if you aren't missing a whole week).
You should be able to point out you have a medical condition. If that isn't enough either get a parent to write a note (assuming you are in secondary school) or talk to a higher up teacher like head of department or year.
Sort that out when you're feeling better though. For now just call in sick (or get a parent to). Also make sure it is put on your records (if it isn't already) that you have migraines so that evidence is there if this ever happens again.

You are not pretending to be sick so your teacher can deal with it. Coincidences happen and stress can trigger migraines so it could actually be caused by this test even.

Good luck and stand up for yourself if they get pissy with you. :smile:

I am just really tired of it being considered "faking" because I'm not, I try to attend school whenever I can, and do tests to the best of my ability. On a few psychology tests last year, I messed up, which led me to explain to the nurse exactly how it works, and now, the psychology teacher seems to be less upset, encouraging me to go home or sleep, and postpone progress tests if necessary. The biology teacher, however, is less accepting of this. I noted that the tests being set within a few days being a bad idea, I just didn't think of it being the main problem, which I admit was probably pretty dumb of me (I was just focusing on other things) but I have half a day left of school, is it worth missing? I feel like it is, although, nobody would be home (my parents both work, so it's hard to be supervised if I need to stay home)
The teacher sounds like a *****, and unfortunately for her if you just don't turn up there's nothing she can do about it. Stay home if you can.
Reply 7
Original post by Shins
I am just really tired of it being considered "faking" because I'm not, I try to attend school whenever I can, and do tests to the best of my ability. On a few psychology tests last year, I messed up, which led me to explain to the nurse exactly how it works, and now, the psychology teacher seems to be less upset, encouraging me to go home or sleep, and postpone progress tests if necessary. The biology teacher, however, is less accepting of this. I noted that the tests being set within a few days being a bad idea, I just didn't think of it being the main problem, which I admit was probably pretty dumb of me (I was just focusing on other things) but I have half a day left of school, is it worth missing? I feel like it is, although, nobody would be home (my parents both work, so it's hard to be supervised if I need to stay home)

Is supervision something you need when you're having migraines? If it is I would suggest you go in to school, but tell the office or whoever you need to when you get there that you are having migraines and would like to stay in a quiet room instead of going to class.
You can bring some sunglasses, a hoodie, eye mask, headphones or whatever would help you be more comfortable. Explain that you need to be at school because you can't stay home alone with this going on, but really can't cope with the fuss and noise of normal school.

If you don't need supervision then just stay home and rest.

It sucks when you're trying your best but people think you're faking or being a wuss. Try not to let it get to you and just be prepared to fight for yourself. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by cheesecakelove
I would get your parent to talk to the school. I don't understand why the teacher won't believe you, even though you can prove you are telling the truth and the other teacher backed you up. Can you talk to someone higher up, like the head of the department, or the headteacher? I don't believe she can force you to do the test, please don't worry too much.

It's more her believing that I'm acting because I don't want to do the test because I didn't study, or something similar. I don't get that idea, it's really common though, because classmates think the same thing sometimes, when I left chemistry on Wednesday, a person retaking the year muttered "Of course" when I asked if I could be excused. I never understand it, because I do well on tests regularly (with a few problem ones that are rare) but I suppose some people like to see others fail, even when they can't help it. I want to try talk to the head of the department, but I also don't want to talk to someone loud, it's jarring on a regular basis, if all else fails, I will just try sleep.
Reply 9
Original post by Kindred
Is supervision something you need when you're having migraines? If it is I would suggest you go in to school, but tell the office or whoever you need to when you get there that you are having migraines and would like to stay in a quiet room instead of going to class.
You can bring some sunglasses, a hoodie, eye mask, headphones or whatever would help you be more comfortable. Explain that you need to be at school because you can't stay home alone with this going on, but really can't cope with the fuss and noise of normal school.

If you don't need supervision then just stay home and rest.

It sucks when you're trying your best but people think you're faking or being a wuss. Try not to let it get to you and just be prepared to fight for yourself. :smile:

Yep, I want to do something similar to that, I just want the day to go quick, It's only until lunch, and then I can leave for half term. I really dislike the way people go "You're overreacting about a headache" but it's a thing that happens, it's hard to not let it get to you after a while
Reply 10
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
The teacher sounds like a *****, and unfortunately for her if you just don't turn up there's nothing she can do about it. Stay home if you can.

I'm unable to stay home, unsupervised, which is why I have little choice in staying at school. I just hate the way the fact I'm having a terrible couple of days means nothing to her, the only thing she cares about is me missing her test
Original post by Shins
Yep, I want to do something similar to that, I just want the day to go quick, It's only until lunch, and then I can leave for half term. I really dislike the way people go "You're overreacting about a headache" but it's a thing that happens, it's hard to not let it get to you after a while

I used to feel a bit like that was the case, but then I met my bf. First time I saw him have a migraine I was genuinely worried he was having a stroke. Never going to underestimate them again.
Reply 12
Original post by Kindred
I used to feel a bit like that was the case, but then I met my bf. First time I saw him have a migraine I was genuinely worried he was having a stroke. Never going to underestimate them again.

I understand that people don't understand how light/sound can hurt, since it is something normal in everyday life. I have a high sensitivity to sound, without a migraine, it just hurts if someone yells, I really hate going to school when people are normally loud enough to make me feel sick on a regular day. So, when I'm actually bad enough, oh dear, regular talking/sounds hurt/feel sick
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shins
I understand that people don't understand how light/sound can hurt, since it is something normal in everyday life. I have a high sensitivity to sound, without a migraine, it just hurts if someone yells, I really hate going to school when people are normally loud enough to make me feel sick on a regular day. So, when I'm actually bad enough, oh dear, regular talking/sounds hurt/feel sick

Oh dear. I'm so glad I don't get migraines. I don't know how you manage.
Original post by Shins

Same as me. I'm thankful that it didn't develop until my adult life, don't think I'd have been able to handle school otherwise.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Kindred
Oh dear. I'm so glad I don't get migraines. I don't know how you manage.

It's just really painful, managing with it is harder than most people seem to believe (since there's this idea that if you're only in pain if you're having a migraine, it's just a lot more pain than usual, where it's hard to act fine) a few of my friends are trying to make it easier, and tried whispering or moving away because at some points on Thursday, I apparently had tried moving away from sound/cried in my sleep, which isn't that odd if I were at home. But for school, more so, since I'm not someone who usually cries (I don't normally sleep in school though), during an attack or otherwise, I'm sure it was unexpected.
Reply 16
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Same as me. I'm thankful that it didn't develop into my adult life, don't think I'd have been able to handle school otherwise.

I want to wish it doesn't follow me through to my adult life, though it seems to be. If it does, I just hope it doesn't get worse, because I can barely handle this
Aww, migraines suck! I don't know how you've managed to go into school! It's not worth it, just take the days off when you need too because it'll make you feel a whole lot worse just sticking through it. Your body needs rest after a migraine, it puts more stress on yourself and makes your migraine worse! How often do you get them? Mine started when I was in year 8/9 with a visual aura before the actual migraine which is so horrible! Sometimes I throw up and can't deal with lights! But seriously, you don't have to put up with it at school! Just go home or don't even go in! & for the people who say its just a headache really annoys me too! It's awful, i really hope you feel better!
Original post by Shins
I want to wish it doesn't follow me through to my adult life, though it seems to be. If it does, I just hope it doesn't get worse, because I can barely handle this

I said into but was supposed to say until :rofl: Autocorrect. I'm in my mid 20s now and didn't start getting them until a few years ago, I get them regularly now but I'm glad I didn't have them at school cause the noise would have set them off. Also glad I didn't have them at college, I can't look at screens when I have a migraine which would have been a problem given that I was an IT student!

Quick Reply

Latest