The Student Room Group

Medicine Personal Statement grammar mistake...

I was looking through my personal statement on track and I realised that I made a grammar mistake. I don't know how this slipped through but basically, I missed the capital M on "Mycobacterium tuberculosis" and wrote "mycobacterium tuberculosis" instead. This was in the middle of a sentence but it needs a capital M on "mycobacterium" as far as I'm aware.

Is it over for me in terms of medicine based on this grammar mistake? :frown:
Reply 1
I can't image 1 capital letter missing is going to shatter your chances, it is a simple oversight when you are writing so much. If you have like…20 mistakes, then there would be a problem. But 1 mistake in your whole statement in the middle of a sentence, I don’t think the admissions officer is going to disregard the content over the issue of 1 letter
They won't care, they have to sift through so many applications and aren't going to start thinking deeply about what this non-capital M says about your ability.
Reply 3
Original post by Avaia
I can't image 1 capital letter missing is going to shatter your chances, it is a simple oversight when you are writing so much. If you have like…20 mistakes, then there would be a problem. But 1 mistake in your whole statement in the middle of a sentence, I don’t think the admissions officer is going to disregard the content over the issue of 1 letter

Are you sure? It's a pretty big mistake tbh
I doubt they will even notice. Even if they did - they are assessing your appropriateness for medicine, not your grammar.

Loads (like, a good third based on what I've seen) of people capitalise their Subject throughout their entire PS for no reason. That sticks out way more than what you have done so don't worry.
Original post by t10r
I was looking through my personal statement on track and I realised that I made a grammar mistake. I don't know how this slipped through but basically, I missed the capital M on "Mycobacterium tuberculosis" and wrote "mycobacterium tuberculosis" instead. This was in the middle of a sentence but it needs a capital M on "mycobacterium" as far as I'm aware.

Is it over for me in terms of medicine based on this grammar mistake? :frown:

Ehh I personally wouldn't worry too much about that.
Original post by nexttime
I doubt they will even notice. Even if they did - they are assessing your appropriateness for medicine, not your grammar.

Loads (like, a good third based on what I've seen) of people capitalise their Subject throughout their entire PS for no reason. That sticks out way more than what you have done so don't worry.

OH ****!!!

Lol just kidding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending