The Student Room Group

Can't find a job!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheesecakelove
There is a lot of competition for jobs so you really need to make yourself stand out. Make sure that you highlight the key skills you have picked up in your work experience that are relevant to the job role. It may be worth getting someone to look over your application or CV before you send it off. You never know what a fresh pair of eyes can pick up!

In the meantime, try to keep yourself busy - look for volunteering placements and careers fairs/events in your area. You could also ask friends if they know any places that are hiring.

I guess I'll try to get it professionally checked.
Lol, I don't have any friends!
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
Just keep applying and focus on your studies, they are the most important thing.

I'm trying to get these grades but I'm also trying to get the money because I'm broke and it's not a good feeling.
Reply 22
Original post by That_Hijabi
So I basically just make the introduction more detailed and luscious? Is that what you're saying? I don't have much experience as a retail assistant but I have lots of experience as a care assistant but I guess it's not relevant to retail. It has helped me with working under pressure and better my communication but nothing that directly relates to retail.

I'm saying make your CV fit the job description.

Post in CV Help as well.
I'm trying to get these grades but I'm also trying to get the money because I'm broke and it's not a good feeling.

If you'd like, blank out your name and anything about where you live and send it to me. I don't think I've met anyone who can write like I can.
Original post by UWS
I'm saying make your CV fit the job description.

Post in CV Help as well.

I'll try. Thank you.
I don't think I've met anyone who can write like I can.

And what is that supposed to mean?
And what is that supposed to mean?

I'm good at writing.
I'm good at writing.

What did you get in English GCSE/A level?
What did you get in English GCSE/A level?

A/A*

Didn't take it for A level
A/A*

Didn't take it for A level

No thanks!
No thanks!

As you wish.
Reply 31
Keep on applying, I literally applied about 50 jobs and like 4 got back to me, so I just went with the TESCO one, if your from Sheffield Tesco are currently recruiting for Christmas festive.
I don't know if it's the fact that I don't have much experience or because I'm just unlucky as hell. I worked at a charity shop and worked as a home carer for about 3 months. And I've applied for Primark and everywhere and they either reject me by emailing it or just not send me anything (which is so annoying). I got rejected by a primark 3 mins away from me!!!

Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council
Reply 33
I don't know if it's the fact that I don't have much experience or because I'm just unlucky as hell. I worked at a charity shop and worked as a home carer for about 3 months. And I've applied for Primark and everywhere and they either reject me by emailing it or just not send me anything (which is so annoying). I got rejected by a primark 3 mins away from me!!!

Don't give up! I know how hard it is :frown: you will get a job one day!

When were you rejected from Primark may I ask, was it recently?
Original post by Roy101
Don't give up! I know how hard it is :frown: you will get a job one day!

When were you rejected from Primark may I ask, was it recently?

Thank you i hope !!!

It was about a week ago and it's made me really sad.
Reply 35
Thank you i hope !!!

It was about a week ago and it's made me really sad.

I'm really sorry to hear that, that would make anyone sad :frown: I hope it doesn't happen again to you. Good luck on your search for a job xx
Original post by Roy101
I'm really sorry to hear that, that would make anyone sad :frown: I hope it doesn't happen again to you. Good luck on your search for a job xx

Wow you're so nice, thanks xx
Reply 37
Wow you're so nice, thanks xx

Your welcome. Stay strong hun :smile:
So I basically just make the introduction more detailed and luscious? Is that what you're saying? I don't have much experience as a retail assistant but I have lots of experience as a care assistant but I guess it's not relevant to retail. It has helped me with working under pressure and better my communication but nothing that directly relates to retail.

You have an introduction in your CV? As soon as I removed my "I am a hard worker blah blah blah" from my CV I actually started getting interviews.
Original post by mistypoison
You have an introduction in your CV? As soon as I removed my "I am a hard worker blah blah blah" from my CV I actually started getting interviews.

I just said that I'm looking for a rewarding career in Retail and all that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending