The Student Room Group

Are A level target grades reliable?

I got my target grades today but we haven’t done any exams in our classes yet are they reliable ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends on the amount of work that you're doing. You're expected many times to exceed the target and not meet it.
Reply 2
Target grades aren't based just on past papers, they are based on homework, how you do in class, your assignments, previous years of study etc. I would just say to try your best, at the end of the day it is down to your actual exams and what you get on those, target grades can be a good indicator tho. If your targets are low then maybe you need to do more revision, if they are high then your teachers must think you are doing well :smile:
Original post by Jess_1230
I got my target grades today but we haven’t done any exams in our classes yet are they reliable ?

Target gradets are usually based on GCSE grades - does your school use ALIS for their targets?
Original post by Muttley79
Target gradets are usually based on GCSE grades - does your school use ALIS for their targets?

They use a system called ALPS
They use a system called ALPS

https://alps-va.co.uk/

I don't find target grades very accurate. They are based on all GCSEs so students who have a few low grades in their results tend to have lower targets than they should.
Original post by Muttley79
https://alps-va.co.uk/

I don't find target grades very accurate. They are based on all GCSEs so students who have a few low grades in their results tend to have lower targets than they should.

One of my teachers said that they also based it on where we live and the areas progression to higher education etc
(edited 6 years ago)
One of my teachers said that they also based it on where we live and the areas progression to higher education etc

I teach maths so we tend to look at the GCSE Maths grade and the sort of grades students have got with that starting point. From this and talking to studnets and seeing how hard they work, we set department target grades.

However, decide for yourself what you are going to aim for - don't be defined by targets :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest