The Student Room Group

Approaching attractive strangers...

How would you go about approaching someone you've seen around work/uni/anywhere?

What would you open with?

Sober by the way, drunk me talks to anyone.

I'm talking in both friendship and more.

I'm not afraid of rejection, it's happened many times before and will happen again in the future I'm sure. I'm more afraid of coming across strange or making them uncomfortable if that makes sense.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts and stories of success and failure... basically help me talk to the hot stranger I see at work haha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try to catch them at a time or moment where starting a conversation would be easier and less random, so if they are reading a book or even a poster/sign, you could strike up a conversation about that. You could also just pay them a compliment and see where that leads you "I like your shoes" or something, then just keep the chat going. If it's at work you could pretend to have an issue you need help with, or if they work in a different department then ask about something in their area. Just find things that you could talk to them about and once the chatting begins you can take it in any direction you want :smile:

Not a flirting story, just my personality. But I tend to randomly compliment people all the time xD I'll be in the shops and just tell somebody I love their makeup look or that they have an awesome Tshirt or something xD
Reply 2
Original post by Jigsaws mum
Approaching strangers
Fck that
Stick to people you know

Expanding the horizons

Original post by Avaia
Try to catch them at a time or moment where starting a conversation would be easier and less random, so if they are reading a book or even a poster/sign, you could strike up a conversation about that. You could also just pay them a compliment and see where that leads you "I like your shoes" or something, then just keep the chat going. If it's at work you could pretend to have an issue you need help with, or if they work in a different department then ask about something in their area. Just find things that you could talk to them about and once the chatting begins you can take it in any direction you want :smile:

Not a flirting story, just my personality. But I tend to randomly compliment people all the time xD I'll be in the shops and just tell somebody I love their makeup look or that they have an awesome Tshirt or something xD

Excellent advice. They work in a different department and my colleagues have been telling me to go and pretend I'm looking for something haha
Reply 3
Original post by Avaia
"I like your shoes" or something

Reply 4
Original post by Profesh

What you trying to say about my "I like your shoes" advice xD xD :laugh::laugh:
Reply 5
Original post by amyfordd
So specifically men who approach women? That's fine then because I'm female? I don't understand. you're being Hella salty, Hella shady. I've seen this person around and would like to at least say hi and introduce myself because they're attractive to me. that's all. I ain't about to follow him or hide in the back seat of his car 😂
I'm shy af and just wanted some advice. not to be called desperate and creepy of which I am neither. I got stuff to do and I have guys who I know and speak to me but I'm not interested. something about this person caught my eye. I literally never approach people because I'm scared of looking weird or something. plus I have low af self-esteem.

You can't please everybody, you do you :smile: go speak to this guy and you two have a wild time together xD
Original post by amyfordd
So specifically men who approach women? That's fine then because I'm female? I don't understand. you're being Hella salty, Hella shady. I've seen this person around and would like to at least say hi and introduce myself because they're attractive to me. that's all. I ain't about to follow him or hide in the back seat of his car 😂
I'm shy af and just wanted some advice. not to be called desperate and creepy of which I am neither. I got stuff to do and I have guys who I know and speak to me but I'm not interested. something about this person caught my eye. I literally never approach people because I'm scared of looking weird or something. plus I have low af self-esteem.

Yes or lesbians as well. Though nowhere in my post do I speak about a woman approaching me and nowhere did I call you a creep. I was on about men catcalling 😒😂

But if a straight girl just wanting to make friends did I'd still find it weird. As I said, consistent conversation after meeting them somewhere appropriate. I can guess you're speaking about at school or uni or work and not walking by tapping a walking woman or man down the street even though that's happened to me is my point. Normally people befriend each other after class of the person participates in discussion and says funny or clever or interesting stuff... I have never known someone to not be found as odd for just randomly approaching. Seriously think about it. You want advice on how to make friends right? Then don't randomly approach. Speak up in class and carry conversation after class into the corridor or the cafeteria. 😐 or if it's a co worker then speak when you arrive in the changing room or wherever.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Salt Queen
Yes or lesbians as well. Though nowhere in my post do I speak about a woman approaching me and nowhere did I call you a creep. I was on about t men catvalling 😒😂

But if a straight girl just wanting to make friends did I'd still find it weird. As I said, consistent conversation after meeting them somewhere appropriate. I can guess you're speaking about at school or uni or work and not walking by tapping a walking woman or man down the street even though that's happened to me is my point. Normally people befriend each other after class of the person participates in discussion and says funny or clever or interesting stuff... I have never known someone to not be found as odd for just randomly approaching. Seriously think about it. You want advice on how to make friends right? Then don't randomly approach. Speak up in class and carry conversation after class into the corridor or the cafeteria. 😐 or if it's a co worker then speak when you arrive in the changing room or wherever.

I speak to many people. However my colleagues in my office are 2 middle age+ females. 😂

I work around this person and our paths cross enough for a smile but not yet a conversation. So this person is still a stranger and just wanted advice on the first "ice breaker". Got it covered now, thanks for your wonderful advice.
Reply 8
Original post by AllonsEnfants!
I'd advise you to go and read some stuff by Albert Ellis, the father of CBT.

Source: Wiki
"Ellis had exaggerated fears of speaking in public and during his adolescence, he was extremely shy around women. At age 19, already showing signs of thinking like a cognitive-behavioral therapist, he forced himself to talk to 100 women in the Bronx Botanical Gardens over a period of a month. Even though he did not get a date, he reported that he desensitized himself to his fear of rejection by women.[8]":chaplin:

I can't tell you how much I love this. As someone who will be studying psychology in the future this pleases me. Thank you
Stand on the back of their shoe and say it was an accident when they turn around and say "oh are you ___?"
Sometimes you've gotta do something random to trigger a conversation.
Reply 10
Original post by hannxm
Stand on the back of their shoe and say it was an accident when they turn around and say "oh are you ___?"
Sometimes you've gotta do something random to trigger a conversation.

Stand on back of shoe, steal shoe, hold shoe for ransom. "date me and you will get your shoe back"
Not saying I'm attractive because I really don't think so but I've been approached quite a few times tbh.

I respond best to people who are just polite, I like nice manners and being well spoken:h:
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Not saying I'm attractive because I really don't think so but I've been approached quite a few times tbh.

I respond best to people who are just polite, I like nice manners and being well spoken:h:

I'm sure you are attractive.

Definitely, always speak to others how you wish to be spoken too.
Reply 13
I think that the easiest way to start a conversation with someone is to identify something which you have in common - for example, if they're wearing a band t shirt and you like that band, open with that. Obviously, this only applies to things which are visually obvious. It's probably not a good idea to Facebook stalk them (or similar) to find potential conversation topics.

The most important thing to remember is if they seem uncomfortable, back off. You're definitely not going to make friends or get dates by violating people's boundaries. They can always come and find you later on if they're interested in re-starting the conversation.
Just "approaching" straight up is weird. Find a reason to start a conversation first. Ask for their help with something or whatever. For example, I've hit on numerous perfume shop girls by asking them for help picking something for my sister and playing the clueless man. The good thing with approaches like this is, you can gauge whether or not you think they'd be interested by their body language and stuff.
I get approached a fair but by girls, but I'm shy and a bit awkward still so they don't understand I like them, but I still feel nervous.
Shout OI YOU, YOU'RE ****ING FIT!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Beth_H
I think that the easiest way to start a conversation with someone is to identify something which you have in common - for example, if they're wearing a band t shirt and you like that band, open with that. Obviously, this only applies to things which are visually obvious. It's probably not a good idea to Facebook stalk them (or similar) to find potential conversation topics.

The most important thing to remember is if they seem uncomfortable, back off. You're definitely not going to make friends or get dates by violating people's boundaries. They can always come and find you later on if they're interested in re-starting the conversation.

I'm not one to over step boundaries so that's not an issue.

Imagine tho, "I see you went to Spain with your family 6 years ago, lovely pictures on your Facebook. I like Spain" 😂
Reply 18
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Just "approaching" straight up is weird. Find a reason to start a conversation first. Ask for their help with something or whatever. For example, I've hit on numerous perfume shop girls by asking them for help picking something for my sister and playing the clueless man. The good thing with approaches like this is, you can gauge whether or not you think they'd be interested by their body language and stuff.

Yeah I wouldn't approach without a conversation or ice breaker in my head. Because then I'd just walk up and be stood there... 😂

Original post by SMEGGGY
Shout OI YOU, YOU'RE ****ING FIT!

Posted from TSR Mobile

YO MY SIZE YA PENG
Reply 19
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
I get approached a fair but by girls, but I'm shy and a bit awkward still so they don't understand I like them, but I still feel nervous.

I think it's scary as heck because it's sort of taboo. It's not considered the "norm" because why would you talk in person when you can just used your phone and tinder and Facebook etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending