The Student Room Group

A friend of mine keeps cheating on banking numerical tests and is getting away...

...with it.

Will she eventually be caught?

She's a lloyds scholar and has networked her way in a spring week with Goldman Sachs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cheaters tend to always get caught in the end, they get comfortable and complacent in their ways, then they slip up.
Never understood cheating tbh, all you are doing is proving you t aren't good enough :/ at the end of the day she has to live with it
Reply 2
Original post by Avaia
Cheaters tend to always get caught in the end, they get comfortable and complacent in their ways, then they slip up.
Never understood cheating tbh, all you are doing is proving you t aren't good enough :/ at the end of the day she has to live with it

I dont know tho
Honestly, this is going to sound really harsh, but I doubt it. I know quite a few people from my uni who have got banking jobs and they cheated on the tests(working together in groups etc). It's just the way things are man. 😓
Reply 4
Original post by migetboy66
Honestly, this is going to sound really harsh, but I doubt it. I know quite a few people from my uni who have got banking jobs and they cheated on the tests(working together in groups etc). It's just the way things are man. 😓

oh ****

i just wondered

hahahaaha
Original post by APersonYo
...with it.

She's a lloyds scholar and has networked her way in a spring week with Goldman Sachs

Meh, use it as blackmail to get an Xbox imo
if you think the world of business and banking is a level playing field then you're in the wrong industry

welcome to the real world buddy
Original post by gr8wizard10
if you think the world of business and banking is a level playing field then you're in the wrong industry

welcome to the real world buddy

This **** isn't even in the world, she's cheating to get into it - next level man
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
This **** isn't even in the world, she's cheating to get into it - next level man

people cheat in everything, everyday. not exactly the newest phenomena.. if they gets into a bank, it's because the bank thinks they'll do well.

they retest them at an AC or interview maths questions and they screw up.. well there you have it.
[QUOTE=gr8wizard10;7418955it's because the bank thinks they'll do well

Under false info
Under false info

doubt anyone cares, job itself isn't exactly rocket science

biggest asset is people skills and likeability which is assessed at interview stage, the rest is just ways banks attempt to cut down applicant pool

not that I condone cheating, but I know enough ppl who've got others to do their test & life has gone on

the most difficult piece of maths ive had to use is probably division, so it's not really something to get into a hissy fit over, in its entirety
doubt anyone cares, job itself isn't exactly rocket science

biggest asset is people skills and likeability which is assessed at interview stage, the rest is just ways banks attempt to cut down applicant pool

not that I condone cheating, but I know enough ppl who've got others to do their test & life has gone on

the most difficult piece of maths ive had to use is probably division, so it's not really something to get into a hissy fit over, in its entirety

Yes, but the fact she couldn't even do the simple maths highlights inadequacy for a job that "isn't rocket science".

These people end up becoming rich at someone else's expense, when in reality they shouldn't have had the chance to.
Yes, but the fact she couldn't even do the simple maths highlights inadequacy for a job that "isn't rocket science".

These people end up becoming rich at someone else's expense, when in reality they shouldn't have had the chance to.

the reality is, again nobody cares.

if you're a "better fit" you'd get the job, not them .. getting upset about it doesn't help.. there's really no way to filter out people who cheat in the initial application other than retesting live (which some banks do).

if you cannot learn basic division whilst on the job, likelihood you won't convert the internship. and in your case on the 'off chance' someone miraculously learns how to compute basic % changes throughout the internship process and impresses, what difference does it make regarding the basic level of competence. surely in that scenario it would demonstrate strong underlying growth capabilities, which is even better (not that anyone would know).

in summary, there's no way of identifying cheaters at the application stage, so unable to quantify level of integrity. if numerical tests aren't your strongest point and you don't want to initially self do the work or take a risk-weighted risk (with absolutely no risk), cheating is the most viable option. it has no down-side (with potentially unlimited upside).

again not endorsing cheating but what would you propose?
the reality is, again nobody cares.

if you're a "better fit" you'd get the job, not them .. getting upset about it doesn't help.. there's really no way to filter out people who cheat in the initial application other than retesting live (which some banks do).

if you cannot learn basic division whilst on the job, likelihood you won't convert the internship. and in your case on the 'off chance' someone miraculously learns how to compute basic % changes throughout the internship process and impresses, what difference does it make regarding the basic level of competence. surely in that scenario it would demonstrate strong underlying growth capabilities, which is even better (not that anyone would know).

in summary, there's no way of identifying cheaters at the application stage, so unable to quantify level of integrity. if numerical tests aren't your strongest point and you don't want to initially self do the work or take a risk-weighted risk (with absolutely no risk), cheating is the most viable option. it has no down-side (with potentially unlimited upside).

Numeracy test post interview - with a change of numbers involved in each question for each new interview batch. cheap and easy. This is already done for some university courses already.

Again, they're being considered on the false information of being numerate, making them seem "fit".

What about taking the test while recorded on webcam? Nobody will ever check it but the tiny chance of being caught cheating on a video should prevent to do so.
...with it.

Pretty normal.

She'll get caught out later on when (I guess "if") the bank retests applicants.

And how has she networked her way to a spring at GS, pretty sure they don't just hand out spring week offers to just anyone without going through the process to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Princepieman
Pretty normal.

She'll get caught out later on when (I guess "if":wink: the bank retests applicants.

And how has she networked her way to a spring at GS, pretty sure they don't just hand out spring week offers to just anyone without going through the process to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She met some guy involved in it at her lloyds interview and he was like ' YOU SHOULD APPLY YOU'D DEFINITELY GET IT' *wink* *wink*
In a highly competitive industry like this you need to do everything you can to get an advantage over the competition. 99% of the time you're not getting caught. Remember that you're up against privately educated Oxbridge and LSE students who've been networking before they even started uni, who can consistently finish numericals and verbals n the 90th percentile and who have already been doing mock interviews with contacts in the industry.
(edited 6 years ago)
IB is a lot of work, but it's not really intellectual. In succeeding she'll receive her just desserts.
She met some guy involved in it at her lloyds interview and he was like ' YOU SHOULD APPLY YOU'D DEFINITELY GET IT' *wink* *wink*

that literally doesn't mean anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending