The Student Room Group

Bath, Exeter and Leeds students - help please?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rome x mary
I personally think that town in Bath is more than satisfying. Besides, the person can do what I (and most people do) and by monthly/ yearly bus passes or railcards e.g. I’ve got a monthly student bus pass that costs £46 where it would normally cost around £75, but yeah, I think that it would be a massive change moving from a big city to a city like Bath

Yeah I see where you're coming from. But from someone similar to the OP where I prefer a more vibrant city, much like Bristol, and for someone coming from London. It would be like moving from Bath to a small town for them, Bath doesn't have as much variety to offer as these kinds of big cities, so they would probably find it very boring.
Original post by anonygirl102
Yeah I see where you're coming from. But from someone similar to the OP where I prefer a more vibrant city, much like Bristol, and for someone coming from London. It would be like moving from Bath to a small town for them, Bath doesn't have as much variety to offer as these kinds of big cities, so they would probably find it very boring.

Yeah, fair enough
Reply 22
Yeah it’s also due to the history of the area and how old most the buildings are. So, Bristol isn’t like this whole alienated planet, a lot of people from my school live there, they just travel to Bath everyday which takes like 30 mins. My friends went to a club in Bristol and stayed at my friends house, my brother went to a club in London during his mate’s stag party and I believe they booked a hotel for the night. And yeah, I suppose it is just how we’ve been brought up, especially since you live in like THE big city of England.

Living in Bristol and studying in Bath sounds like a great idea, and I would actually love to do that but it will probably make life much more difficult 😭 Yeah, London's quite big but honestly if I get bored here sometimes, I need to be careful with my uni choice. Thank you for your help again btw!
Reply 23
Original post by Sunset891
If you want an amazing night life go with Leeds

I've heard that a lot, ngl. I guess I don't want to go up north that far but Leeds is looking pretty good atm
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
I personally think that town in Bath is more than satisfying. Besides, the person can do what I (and most people do) and by monthly/ yearly bus passes or railcards e.g. I’ve got a monthly student bus pass that costs £46 where it would normally cost around £75, but yeah, I think that it would be a massive change moving from a big city to a city like Bath

Bath is absolutely beautiful, and I would love to visit it for a week or so but idk how I would feel living there for 3/4 years. I thought about spending the majority of my time in Bristol and studying in Bath but that will probably mess up friendships and make life difficult. I mean I'm ready to downsize the city where I live but London to Bath seems a bit extreme 😂
Original post by Doonesbury

thanks for the tag :wink:

So....

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Confuseeed
Bath is absolutely beautiful, and I would love to visit it for a week or so but idk how I would feel living there for 3/4 years. I thought about spending the majority of my time in Bristol and studying in Bath but that will probably mess up friendships and make life difficult. I mean I'm ready to downsize the city where I live but London to Bath seems a bit extreme 😂

It's a nice place to just visit, and I see the appeal with that. But to live there, it's a no from me haha. Especially when you have so many other amazing cities in the UK to chose from!
Reply 27
It's a nice place to just visit, and I see the appeal with that. But to live there, it's a no from me haha. Especially when you have so many other amazing cities in the UK to chose from!

I guess it's the large amount of options that's making it difficult! There are so many beautiful places that I don't know where to go or what to do. Also the fact that this is one of the only times in my life where I can move to a different place and experience different things easily because accommodation is sorted and I wont struggle to make friends because everyones on the same boat. And the fact that it's temporary helps a lot too. Moving to a place like Bristol after uni will probably be much more difficult whereas moving there as a uni student is much more exciting, if that makes sense. Thank you so so so much once again!
I guess it's the large amount of options that's making it difficult! There are so many beautiful places that I don't know where to go or what to do. Also the fact that this is one of the only times in my life where I can move to a different place and experience different things easily because accommodation is sorted and I wont struggle to make friends because everyones on the same boat. And the fact that it's temporary helps a lot too. Moving to a place like Bristol after uni will probably be much more difficult whereas moving there as a uni student is much more exciting, if that makes sense. Thank you so so so much once again!

Yeah I completely get where you're coming from, I'm kind of in the same predicament now with deciding the best places to go, and since I am from Bristol the thought of going anywhere else and it being worse is such a big risk - for me it is anyway. It's hard, you want variety, 3 or 4 years is an important chunk of your life, it shouldn't be spent feeling miserable! I've heard Manchester is like the London of the north, I just don't have the nerve to move that far up north!
Reply 29
Yeah I completely get where you're coming from, I'm kind of in the same predicament now with deciding the best places to go, and since I am from Bristol the thought of going anywhere else and it being worse is such a big risk - for me it is anyway. It's hard, you want variety, 3 or 4 years is an important chunk of your life, it shouldn't be spent feeling miserable! I've heard Manchester is like the London of the north, I just don't have the nerve to move that far up north!

Same here! I don't quite like the idea of moving up north hence why I've been somewhat avoiding Leeds, but I'm going to start considering it properly and see where it takes me. I'm quite indecisive which makes the whole situation worse tbh, and all of the different factors are annoying. I need to consider academics, social life, distance from London, living costs, graduate prospects and etc etc, and it's difficult to find a place that ticks the majority of those boxes. All I know is I want a break, so I'm not applying to any unis within London, but then I get doubts sometimes and question whether I really want to leave. If only I lived outside of this city so I could easily decide where I want to go for uni, London!
Same here! I don't quite like the idea of moving up north hence why I've been somewhat avoiding Leeds, but I'm going to start considering it properly and see where it takes me. I'm quite indecisive which makes the whole situation worse tbh, and all of the different factors are annoying. I need to consider academics, social life, distance from London, living costs, graduate prospects and etc etc, and it's difficult to find a place that ticks the majority of those boxes. All I know is I want a break, so I'm not applying to any unis within London, but then I get doubts sometimes and question whether I really want to leave. If only I lived outside of this city so I could easily decide where I want to go for uni, London!

I'm exactly the same! I used to really want to go to Uni in London, but it's just far too expensive and I feel like I would feel lonely there for some reason? I think the benefit of moving outside of London, some smaller cities, although they may still be big, have more of a "community spirit" feel to them. I know Bristol feels like that, and that's why I love it, it's small enough to feel like that, but big enough that you don't know everyone you bump into! It's a shame you can't go to Bristol to be honest.

Leeds would definitely be cheaper, or I would assume so, as it is up North so everything does seem to be cheaper up there! Have you considered Cardiff? I know it's smaller, but it is a capital city so to speak and there's enough going on there? Plus it's cheap and good links to London by rail etc.
Reply 31
I'm exactly the same! I used to really want to go to Uni in London, but it's just far too expensive and I feel like I would feel lonely there for some reason? I think the benefit of moving outside of London, some smaller cities, although they may still be big, have more of a "community spirit" feel to them. I know Bristol feels like that, and that's why I love it, it's small enough to feel like that, but big enough that you don't know everyone you bump into! It's a shame you can't go to Bristol to be honest.

Leeds would definitely be cheaper, or I would assume so, as it is up North so everything does seem to be cheaper up there! Have you considered Cardiff? I know it's smaller, but it is a capital city so to speak and there's enough going on there? Plus it's cheap and good links to London by rail etc.

I guess the feeling of loneliness stems from how large it is as a city, and where your accommodation will be compared to others from that uni whereas a smaller place has more compact areas where you can meet a lot more people. Yeah I'm quite upset that I can't go to Bristol either, as I said I loved it and I hold a guaranteed offer but I can't do the course because I don't have the subject required.

I have considered Cardiff, and it's pretty close to Bristol if I wanted to visit however I've been told to look at unis that are slightly higher on league tables for economics that also have better graduate prospects. The people around me are essentially trying to push me to reach the highest place that I can reach, which is great but it has made choosing much more difficult
I'm from Leeds, the nightlife is incredible. Whatever floats your boat you will find it there, prices are reasonable and shopping wise has everything you could want. Manchester is an hour by train or 2 hours to London.
Reply 33
Thank you guys in advance! If there's anything else you'd like to add, please do so.

I think you might have missed Artful's spoilered and thorough reply about Exeter: :wink:

Original post by artful_lounger

So....

Spoiler

I'm quite good at adapting to different places but as I mentioned, I get bored easily so I don't know how easy I will find it to adapt to Bath. How long did it take you? And is it fairly cheap to get to Bristol? The nightlife seems quite cheap so hopefully that will balance out the high rent costs. Thank you so much for your help btw!

I felt more comfortable in Bath by the second semester. It's £5 for a return train ticket to Bristol with a railcard. I don't know how much the bus ticket would be as I only started taking the bus to Bristol in second year when I had an annual pass which a bus to Bristol was included. The bus is only an hour to Temple Meads Station and from there you can walk to everywhere so you can avoid the traffic in Bristol City Centre.

What I liked about living in Bath is that you got the really nice town and a community-feel campus, but if you wanted a change of scenery you could easily go to Bristol for the day or night out. After living in Bath I found places like Bristol to be so unpleasing to the eye after lol Bath is so much cleaner, people are really friendly. When I went to visit Leeds before joining Bath, I didn't get that same vibe. If you haven't, I definitely recommend visiting the universities if you can because you might end up feeling a different way when you go in person as opposed to just researching online and hearing other people's opinions.

Good luck <3

edit: a side note, Bath offers a placement year with all courses and depending on the course a year abroad. So you can get a break in-between your time at Bath to live somewhere else. I am currently back in London on placement. I have friends who are in Reading, Bristol, Manchester, Boston (America), Cardiff and many other places whilst they are on placement. My housemate is currently in Nicaragua, whilst others are in Spain, France, Belgium etc. It is course dependent, but I think it's pretty great that you can take a year out from living in Bath and live somewhere else and work. You don't get this opportunity at every university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Doonesbury
I think you might have missed Artful's spoilered and thorough reply about Exeter: :wink:

Yes, I did, thank you so much! It didnt show up on the mobile app at first so I didnt see it.
Reply 36
Original post by beaverhausen
I felt more comfortable in Bath by the second semester. It's £5 for a return train ticket to Bristol with a railcard. I don't know how much the bus ticket would be as I only started taking the bus to Bristol in second year when I had an annual pass which a bus to Bristol was included. The bus is only an hour to Temple Meads Station and from there you can walk to everywhere so you can avoid the traffic in Bristol City Centre.

What I liked about living in Bath is that you got the really nice town and a community-feel campus, but if you wanted a change of scenery you could easily go to Bristol for the day or night out. After living in Bath I found places like Bristol to be so unpleasing to the eye after lol Bath is so much cleaner, people are really friendly. When I went to visit Leeds before joining Bath, I didn't get that same vibe. If you haven't, I definitely recommend visiting the universities if you can because you might end up feeling a different way when you go in person as opposed to just researching online and hearing other people's opinions.

Good luck <3

Thank you! I dont have the chance to visit and I have to submit my new application today, so I'm hoping to submit applications and then visit the unis for an applicant day to get a better understanding. The only place I had the chance to visit properly was Bristol. If you found Bristol unpleasing, good luck back in London!
Thank you! I dont have the chance to visit and I have to submit my new application today, so I'm hoping to submit applications and then visit the unis for an applicant day to get a better understanding. The only place I had the chance to visit properly was Bristol. If you found Bristol unpleasing, good luck back in London!

Haha London isn't so bad. It's where I grew up so I have soft spot for it. Central London is slowly getting prettier to look at haha.

In case you missed the point I later edited in my response:

a side note, Bath offers a placement year with all courses and depending on the course a year abroad. So you can get a break in-between your time at Bath to live somewhere else. I am currently back in London on placement. I have friends who are in Reading, Bristol, Manchester, Boston (America), Cardiff and many other places whilst they are on placement. My housemate is currently in Nicaragua, whilst others are in Spain, France, Belgium etc. It is course dependent, but I think it's pretty great that you can take a year out from living in Bath and live somewhere else and work. You don't get this opportunity at every university.
Reply 38

Why?

You have until 15th Jan to make these choices. And the main thing is to pick the *course* you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by artful_lounger

So....

Spoiler

Thank you, this is so detailed it's great!
Hills seem to be unavoidable, every uni I've considered so far seems to have hills so I guess I've got to accept it for what it is!

Would you say any of the places where the uni is based seedy? Or is it generally safe?

Hmmm... yeah coming from London the upper middle class white majority might be a bit of a problem, but I'm fairly good at adapting to different places so hopefully I won't be bothered TOO much. If anything, I might be able to teach something new to some of the more ignorant ones? Although I doubt it's worth trying. The people there sound adventureous, though! Not sure whether that's a good thing or not... I mean I like to think that I enjoy new experiences and I like having a lot of fun but having sex in the middle of campus seems a bit too far, even for me. But each to their own I guess haha.

If I'm honest, I dont think Ill join the whole LGBT scene in any of the universities I attend. The "scene" isnt necesarrily for me, so the society and etc isn't that important. I'm not entirely sure about how I'll feel about the clubs, but it's worth trying them out. Although the club in Exeter doesn't sound very good, which might be a waste of time. I guess I just want to be able to date properly and thats probably the most important thing for me.

Places close at 6 on a weekday? Seriously? Oh wow... We have some places that close at 6 on a Sunday! Rest is all open until 7/8, or later on. The main thing about life in the town for me is that I dont know how I'll be spending my time, and I can't predict what I'll be doing. I don't know if the size of the place will affect me because I don't know what sort of stuff I'll be doing in my free time, be it with friends or alone. I guess thats why I'm trying to go for a somewhat larger place, (but not too large) so I can have more of an option if I decide to spend more time in the town/city center rather than on campus.

Wow okay the societies/clubs seem fairly broad. If there's a Pokemon Go club then I probably won't find it difficult to find something that fits my interests!

Housing seems difficult, but I guess I'll have more of an option to explore it if I decide to attend. First year accomodation hopefully won't be that bad to find, so I might have more time. I've heard that its best to apply for next year housing in around December, would you say thats accurate?

Right, yeah that seems accurate. Would you say its easy to meet/make friends with people outside of your course? Be it in halls or elsewhere.

I'm glad to hear that the business school is one of the better faculties!

I guess the best way to deal with an expensive night out is to just pre drink quite a bit and hope to cover all of the costs

Thank you so much for your reply once again!

Quick Reply

Latest